Major Beadbei

TejiKaur

That is not right.

Dear Sangat members, should not all get together and form a sort of petiton, and inform the people of that website and the manufacturers of those garments that the items are highly offensive. We should suggest they refrain from advertising and also discontinue underwear garments with images we as a faith hold with the up most respect. Please I know no-one knows the exact image of Guru Ji, but that is the image which is generally used and accepted by most people. Lets use our heads and calm down before we send them abusive and silly messages. We do not want to sound immature or like fundamental extremists by threatening them and verbally abusing them. Lets do it correctly and hopefully they will acknowledge our view.

By they way I haven't checked that site out properly yet, just seen the pics and thought WHAT THE *********!Is it for real or a hoax, because which <banned word filter activated> would buy stuff like that.

EDIT: ADMIN - I did not even use a swear word! why is that a banned word?

The website in question i.e. cafepress.com. I think they are misguided in that they have got images and then have used them on all sorts of different attire. They may have innocently done this, without any malice. BUT, that aside they should have looked into abit it think personally. Done abit more research and understood faith is very different to nationality. Iam not so bigoted to think the stuff about Punjabi's is wrong, as you get union jack undies. Nationality you can take into what ever context. I don't care! But, they may not seem to have understood some of the images in their library should not be used on underwear, as it may offend some people. Faith / religion is very delicate issue. You should not use images/ values etc. for frivilous or inappropriate items. In my humble opinion.

Look, I am liberally minded, but maybe everyone has a limit and you have to draw the line somewhere. Live and let live, but that should only apply if the view / subject matter does not offend, in circumstances where justifiably it can be proven to be blatently offensive, to any rational person. I do admit they have also got some very witty t-shirts with logo's, images, statements and good one liners. I would consider buying some of them, BUT ONLY IF they decide to remove the offensive (in my view), images on underwear garments.

No one agree with my view about starting petition? Sorry I know I have posted so much recently, it's Easter weekend, I'm at my parents, kids doing my head in etc.. When all the little ****** get together, nieces and george-ous not gorgeous nephew (the ******'s indicate our private family word for the munchkins!, can't reveal it, i'm sworn to secreacy). I need to get away. Distract myself.

SORRY going off topic - Seriously though lots of views no response's yet.

If you look on their website, they have the same sort of underwear for other religions too. Theres a boxer short and i think thong with Jesus Christ on. So i doubt they are doing this out of ignorance and innocently like a previous poster said. They are trying to be controversial and do not give a damn whether it offends anyone. The only way out of this is for some sort of petition to be created at least. I've never done this petition stuff, how do you go about creating one, i've got the time to do it? I've been on the petition number 10.gov site and it takes you through a step by step guide. You have to give the name of the organisation you represent. Would it be better if we tell the Sikh Coalition to set up the petition as it may have more weight that way or should i just do it myself and say 'The Sikhs', or something? What does everyone think?

If you look on their website, they have the same sort of underwear for other religions too. Theres a boxer short and i think thong with Jesus Christ on. So i doubt they are doing this out of ignorance and innocently like a previous poster said. They are trying to be controversial and do not give a damn whether it offends anyone.

The point I was trying to put across was that maybe we don't know for 100% fact how there website works. I 'am not IT expert. But from my managerial experience I have learnt many websites and other software are pre-programmed. So the point I was making, sorry if it was not clear was the following. The software / coding / programming on their site may have a library of images. Also in another feild a set group of the different items they sell. The two different fields then just match up. That was my point I made. The website may have not intentially supposed to cause offence, did it with malice. I don't know. On the other point about controversy it is very valid. We don't know the facts. However, I did suggest the starting off a petition to inform them of their actions, other's would find offensive.

With regards to how to start the petiton. I think the number10.gov site is just for new law changes etc. not 100% sure.

But, YES we need to be backed by an organisation, not just random people like me, you and everyother person. So request to admin - you guys (male & female), must have some weight and contacts, just look at the number of members on this site. Let us all SIKHS, we all go on about united PANTH get together, all other SIKH websites, and other organisations. Together who ever is regarded as having the most official and influencle clout join forces. It may be the SGPC or Sri Akal Takaht Sahib, lets take it to the top. (in my opinion). Someone if anyone can and has the skills (come on apne are ment to be one of the best in IT). Make a web page - online petition in which we can all make our point being put across. (links to which should be on all SIKHI websites). The exact details of

• the statement (exact wording), to which we all support needs to be approved by the majority.
  • the online petiton needs links on all SIKH affiliated websites.
  • maybe only the mods, and people who receive the petition can view all our detials. Some members will not feel comfortable with other members viewing their details. Which, is a valid point. But we need to ensure they think our petition is 100% geninuine, not made up. For that reason they need to verify who we are.
  • getting other faiths involved is great idea. They would be happy to join I think. But then if we want their support for our cause, should members on this site not then also think twice about bashing their beliefs next time? EDIT: Sorry the cause is universal, but what I ment is if we want support from them.

Sorry my view only. What's everyone else think?

If you look on their website, they have the same sort of underwear for other religions too. Theres a boxer short and i think thong with Jesus Christ on. So i doubt they are doing this out of ignorance and innocently like a previous poster said. They are trying to be controversial and do not give a damn whether it offends anyone.

The point I was trying to put across was that maybe we don't know for 100% fact how there website works. I 'am not IT expert. But from my managerial experience I have learnt many websites and other software are pre-programmed. So the point I was making, sorry if it was not clear was the following. The software / coding / programming on their site may have a library of images. Also in another feild a set group of the different items they sell. The two different fields then just match up. That was my point I made. The website may have not intentially supposed to cause offence, did it with malice. I don't know. On the other point about controversy it is very valid. We don't know the facts. However, I did suggest the starting off a petition to inform them of their actions, other's would find offensive.

With regards to how to start the petiton. I think the number10.gov site is just for new law changes etc. not 100% sure.

But, YES we need to be backed by an organisation, not just random people like me, you and everyother person. So request to admin - you guys (male & female), must have some weight and contacts, just look at the number of members on this site. Let us all SIKHS, we all go on about united PANTH get together, all other SIKH websites, and other organisations. Together who ever is regarded as having the most official and influencle clout join forces. It may be the SGPC or Sri Akal Takaht Sahib, lets take it to the top. (in my opinion). Someone if anyone can and has the skills (come on apne are ment to be one of the best in IT). Make a web page - online petition in which we can all make our point being put across. (links to which should be on all SIKHI websites). The exact details of

• the statement (exact wording), to which we all support needs to be approved by the majority.
  • the online petiton needs links on all SIKH affiliated websites.
  • maybe only the mods, and people who receive the petition can view all our detials. Some members will not feel comfortable with other members viewing their details. Which, is a valid point. But we need to ensure they think our petition is 100% geninuine, not made up. For that reason they need to verify who we are.
  • getting other faiths involved is great idea. They would be happy to join I think. But then if we want their support for our cause, should members on this site not then also think twice about bashing their beliefs next time? EDIT: Sorry the cause is universal, but what I ment is if we want support from them.

Sorry my view only. What's everyone else think?

I agree with the gs. It is a pre made template and shopper can customize it to anything. I probably bet none of the shoppers ever bought such thing with sikhi symbols. However it is wrong to have this but it is hard for them to bring change. But nothing bad in trying... Bring this issue in attention to their customer department and follow up from there...

Please follow the simple instructions below:

1) Follow the link below to contact the website to complain about the boxers.

http://help.cafepress.com/hc/s-74058960/cmd/kbresource/kb-6288578107523762379/escalate!PAGETYPE?VisitorProfile=cafepress

2) Enter your name/last name

3) Email Address

4) What your question is about - Click "something else"

5) Copy and paste this text below as the problem:

To the Director of Cafe Press.com

I have just visited your website and have been deeply offended by seeing the image of our Guru, Guru Nanak Dev Ji, on a pair of boxer shorts (Product ID: 177831859).

Furthermore, the use of the Sikh symbol, the Khanda on a Thong (Product ID: 102698622) and also on a pair of boxer shorts (Product ID: 185102863) is also extremely offensive.

As you may or may not know, this act by your company insulted and upset the whole Sikh community. We cannot comprehend that in the present climate a company would decide to commit such an ignorant and blasphemous act.

We would request for these products to be revoked instantly for sale to stop any further insult and hurt to the Sikh community.

We would appreciate that these steps are put into effect immediately to avoid any legal action.

Thank You

(your name)

OR

To speak directly to someone please call:

Call toll free at 001-877-809-1659.

To complain: 001-650-655-3104

Monday - Saturday, 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM EST

UK Support: 0800 073 1484 (call this number as they usually answer)

Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM GMT

Quote these ID numbers when complaining:

Product ID: 177831859 (Guru Nanak Dev Ji)

Product ID: 102698622 (Khanda)

Product ID: 185102863 (Khanda)