New To The Forum

Wahe Guru da Khalsa, Wahe Guru Jee ke Fateh,

New to the forum, and just wanted to introduce myself.

I read about the Conference that took place at the University of Alberta, in Calgary. I wish I could have attended. The line of speakers were very impressive to say the least. Is there anyway, grants can be made available so that all those interested can attend?

I live with my two children in Oakville, Ontario.

Sorry PJS paa ji,

That's all I was also doing. Just being courteous, acknowleding Bibi Ji and responding. Sorry if I sound facetious. It's just on some post I see many views and hardly any responses. I was just saying Hi also. Obviously I do not think anyone of the members of this site would not welcome a new member. I was just merely acknowledging her greeting, responding and being polite.

Paa ji the last thing I would think of is to personally sound offensive or anything like that towards you. I really respect you and I have earlier viewed the e-mail you sent me with my request so Thanks for that. You are very helpful and knowledgable person.

Sorry to go of topic, but, everyone on this site uses Veer ji, is that just like a regional lingusitic charactistic of Punjab? Or like does it have religious / Sikhi significance / conotations? Because all my family (both parents as well), were born in England, we all use Paa ji. Is it because my ancestors are from Doaba, because everyone in that region does also. I have been to Punjab nearly 20 times in my life. I'm turning 30 this year, so I can speak and understand it Punjabi, albeit I just learnt to read Gurmukhi last year.

Lol oh Waheguru Ji i didnt take any offense, i just thought i clear any misunderstanding (if any!) :)

Veerji is like the universally accepted word for brother. People from doaba area do use phaaji more tho, thats absolutely true! If you go towards amritsar, their dialect is totally different - they tend to use 'Bhaoo' more lol. Another pendu term often used is 'bai' but personally i feel Veerji is the only word that perfectly communicates the respect and affection for a Gursikh.. The religious equivalent would be 'Bhai Ji', a revered title which only a handful of Sikhs truly deserve :)

If you go towards amritsar, their dialect is totally different - they tend to use 'Bhaoo' more lol. Another pendu term often used is 'bai' but personally i feel Veerji is the only word that perfectly communicates the respect and affection for a Gursikh..

Paa ji you are right. I have travelled extensively throughout Punjab. (when I was late teens / early 20's, wanted to know my roots). Ambarsaria's defo say stuff like "Kitra Bhhaoo", I think towards south west, Bhatinda is like Bai jee. But us Doabi's would say "Kidda Paa Ji". Yes veer ji is univeral, as some my aunties in India call my thiaya Ji (tyre, LOL! so hard to romanise Punjabi), call him Veera or Veer Ji aswell.biggrin.gif