Question For Guys [And Girls?]

Guest hope

Guest hope

What would one do if they find out their partner is infertile? This has been on my mind here and there recently, as I may be, or atleast find it to be a struggle in future. Just thinking about the reaction of whoever I end up marrying in future. Would people divorce their other half? Or work through it etc? wanted to know your general thoughts on the matter and how you (may) react.

Guest my fingers are cold

An important thing to remember is that every one of us may be infertile, not just you. Nobody knows until they find out, as obvious as that sounds. In the same way we could be diagnosed with a chronic illness or cancer or even die tomorrow.

The short answer is that if you marry a Gurmukh this will not be an issue. Guru Ji's Hukam is absolute and if you can't have children of your own then so be it. I am actually in the same position as you and have thought about this for a long time. I've come to the conclusion that as nice as it would be to have one's own blood-related kids, perhaps infertility can be regarded as a blessing as well as (or instead of) a curse. It takes a very strong-minded and compassionate person to be able to adopt a child who has no parents of its own, and there are millions of children in this world who are in that situation. What a great seva it would be to help them and introduce them to the path of Satguru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj.

If you and your partner is not a Gurmukh then it's a completely different story. You asked for thoughts on divorce etc but the truth is there are hundreds of issues which could arise if you look at it from manmat's point of view. There is not point in contemplating what might or might not happen in this case as we should aim to avoid it altogether by turning ourselves from carbon (manmukh) into diamond (Gurmukh). I say this after having been through the hundreds of ifs and buts and manmat-possiblities so am only trying to save you some tears and time rather than anything else :).

In life you will find that many of these problems cause immense trauma for those who have no concept of Akaal Purakh. Sikhi is so beautiful in that every such situation is dealt with in a sweet, loving but fair way.

I should also mention that there should be no doubt whatsoever that Naam cures infertility. Actually I probably should have mentioned that first.

Guest stick it out

Our Guru Granth Sahib says it is a huge sin to break someones heart.

If you're with your partner so you have an obligation to stay with them unless they're doing something intentially wrong, like being abusive etc.

God works in mysterious ways and the fact you're with a certain person means that you chose to be with them in some way, so you're accountable.

Divorce is only for those who are the victims, as you would not have not been victimised as it would not be your partners fault, leaving them would be 100% wrong and you would be 100% punishable.

You need to think carefully and understand that the question you are asking is so wrong on so many different levels.

Guest riddle me this

maybe if you get stuck with an infertile person it means that you did ardass in past janam to not be burdonned with kids in this janam so you could do your bhagti

maybe if you get stuck with an infertile person it means that you did ardass in past janam to not be burdonned with kids in this janam so you could do your bhagti

Oooooooooooooh, this is good one. I say all the time "eh niyaNe ta na bus dimag chut lainde aa" Rub jee ne kite mainu seriously lai liya taa tuhade vaangu question main vee puchhaNa ai es forum te aa ke, ke kee kariye if there is infertile issue next time. I should be careful.

Man, its just so hard to decide what to ask for.

I guess leaving everything upto Waheguru jee is the best bet. One cann't just know whats good and whats bad to ask for. baba jee jithe tuhadi raza, othe rakho. "Prabh dori haath tumare".

Traditionally in Sikh or panjabi community, there would be no divorce over infertility. If a man was infertile, then the marriage would stay the same, whereas if a woman were infertile, the man would take another wife, but would not divorce the first wife. one of the greatest acts an issueless couple can do is to take a child as their own, even though he/she is not of their blood. There are so few who are prepared to do this.