Drugs And Sikhs

Artmental

Why is the Punjab government not doing anything about it? Another question would be why isn't the Sikh governing body doing anything about it? And finally, why aren't the truly devout in Punjab opposing it? I think getting the answers to these questions may give a better idea of the scope of the problem and how to solve it

Having spent alot of time in Punjab I can 100% assure you guys it is a major problem. Smack in is not powder form of herion it is Herion. Herion comes in powder form. Lots of punjabi youth are hooked on it. Living in Southall and having come from the midlands I know youths who sell their land in punjab to come UK to make a living and prosper BUT when here they get back on gear in this country, and mess up everything and get in DEBT.

We as a quam need to get together and rid our brothers of this evil drug, only by understanding them and not looking down upon them. Raising awareness we can rid our future of this.

It is no exgageration millions of punjabis are on smack.

I said the same thing a few times on this same thread. We're going around in circles without getting anywhere so I certainly shan't be posting on this thread again. Its a no-brainer. Look, smack is everywhere in Punjab. Absolutely everywhere. But...if you're gonna link smack with things like 'cough syrup' and a bottle of beer than you are doing absolutely nothing to bring home the dangers and evilness of smack. Here, in the west, we know that smack (heroin) is a million times worse than a can of beer...or a cigarette even. It is the worst thing in the world...and those who have hit it have hit rock bottom. But....I've seen with my own eyes the way that authorities and religious organisations in Punjab put heroin in the same 'bad' bracket as a pint of beer or a cough syrup. That takes away the shame and the stigma.......the realisation that smack is so bad you should never go anywhere near it.

As I've already stated, the first step is to stop these news stories about '77% drug addiction' in Punjab. When that 77% includes the fella that drinks a beer and the fella that often buys over the counter cough syrup....that percentage statistic is of no use to anybody.

As far as Punjab is concerned its time for us Sikhs to stop talking about cigarettes and beers for a while and start concentrating on the real problem....the real killer of Punjab : Heroin.

I'm not gonna lie to you......every former addict in my village (and there are a lot of them) got off heroin by becoming a radhaswami. I have, as yet, unheard of a case whereby someone got off heroin in Punjab with the help of a Gurdwara. I would guess its the same story all over Punjab.

We're so busy talking about the minor things that we don't even notice while other groups come in and sort out the major things....and in the process gain millions of recruits.

I really think it is is the responsibility of gurdwarras to address this issue and introduce programmes to help people get off this stuff and adapt to life without it.

Lots of people might say that people are stupid to get on it in the first place but something so addictive as to cause one to sell their own land and get into debt is def something that is not under ones control.

What I see in gurdwarras today is heavy focus on amritdharis and not on those who are in need of help- i.e the needy.

What happened to the money we donate going to the needy- people like this?

Satguru Nanak Dev Ji helped murderers, prostitutes, witches and demons reform and become good sikhs so it can be safely said he would have helped people hooked on drugs who feel they have no way out/no way of stopping.

Like I said, Gurdwarra committees must be aware of these issues and if not need to be alerted, it really is their responsibility to at least help sikhs if not the public at large.

• 5 months later...

http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=172816

Big Business for the smugglers

I said the same thing a few times on this same thread. We're going around in circles without getting anywhere so I certainly shan't be posting on this thread again. Its a no-brainer. Look, smack is everywhere in Punjab. Absolutely everywhere. But...if you're gonna link smack with things like 'cough syrup' and a bottle of beer than you are doing absolutely nothing to bring home the dangers and evilness of smack. Here, in the west, we know that smack (heroin) is a million times worse than a can of beer...or a cigarette even. It is the worst thing in the world...and those who have hit it have hit rock bottom. But....I've seen with my own eyes the way that authorities and religious organisations in Punjab put heroin in the same 'bad' bracket as a pint of beer or a cough syrup. That takes away the shame and the stigma.......the realisation that smack is so bad you should never go anywhere near it.

As I've already stated, the first step is to stop these news stories about '77% drug addiction' in Punjab. When that 77% includes the fella that drinks a beer and the fella that often buys over the counter cough syrup....that percentage statistic is of no use to anybody.

As far as Punjab is concerned its time for us Sikhs to stop talking about cigarettes and beers for a while and start concentrating on the real problem....the real killer of Punjab : Heroin.

I'm not gonna lie to you......every former addict in my village (and there are a lot of them) got off heroin by becoming a radhaswami. I have, as yet, unheard of a case whereby someone got off heroin in Punjab with the help of a Gurdwara. I would guess its the same story all over Punjab.

We're so busy talking about the minor things that we don't even notice while other groups come in and sort out the major things....and in the process gain millions of recruits.

Good post

Brainstorm on what we can do? A list of things would be good to start with e.g. Rehab Centre setup, Educational Songs, leaflets