The Use Of The Word "Sant"

I have been struggling with the Sant word. I dont think it should be used for a sikh, because it was not used during the Guru period. If someone is a true Sant it will be the great Puratan Sikhs like Bhia Mardana, Baba Buddha, Bhia Gurdas, Bhia Mani Singh. But none of them got that title only todays Sikhs put the title infront of there name.

I think that the first Sikh who was called a Sant was Baba Attar Singh, and there was much oppostion of useing that word infront of His name.

I have been struggling with the Sant word.  I dont think it should be used for a sikh, because it was not used during the Guru period.  If someone is a true Sant it will be the great Puratan Sikhs like Bhia Mardana, Baba Buddha, Bhia Gurdas, Bhia Mani Singh.  But none of them got that title only todays Sikhs put the title infront of there name.

I think that the first Sikh who was called a Sant was Baba Attar Singh, and there was much oppostion of useing that word infront of His name.

hey sant baba gurdas jee, sant baba mani singh jee OMG is that soo bad? lol

ask guru jee who is a sant?

ਜਿਨਾ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾਂ ਮਨਿ ਮੰਤੁ ॥

ਧੰਨੁ ਸਿ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਪੂਰਨੁ ਸੋਈ ਸੰਤੁ ॥੧॥

Those who do not forget the Lord with each breath and morsel of food whose minds are filled with the Mantra of the Lord's Name - they alone are blessed; O Nanak, they are the perfect Saints. ||1||

hey sant baba gurdas jee, sant baba mani singh jee OMG is that soo bad? lol

ask guru jee who is a sant?

ਜਿਨਾ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾਂ ਮਨਿ ਮੰਤੁ ॥

ਧੰਨੁ ਸਿ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਪੂਰਨੁ ਸੋਈ ਸੰਤੁ ॥੧॥

Those who do not forget the Lord with each breath and morsel of food whose minds are filled with the Mantra of the Lord's Name - they alone are blessed; O Nanak, they are the perfect Saints. ||1||

I was trying to point out that even though that these Sikhs are one with God and we know that they are True Saints that they didn't use big titles in front of there names. Unlike todays Saints.

Puran Sant /Brahmgyani would never disclose themselves; WHO ARE THEY? that is why Out of 99% fraud, very difficult to find 1% Truth because Normal Being like me cannot see the Sant Avastha by just Looking @ the Physical Body. You require that Drishti to see.

Only Puran Sant knows the other Puran Sant. For eg:- Sant Baba Thakur SIngh ji knows about the avastha of Sant Jarnail Singh ji, Sant Isher SIngh Maharaj knew the Avastha of Sant Nand SIngh ji Maharaj etc.

Ordinary Being Cannot find their real Avasthas

Real Nishani of Puran Sant is that Whenever a Ordinary Person sits in his Sangat, His Mind stops wandering(Man da Tikaaa) and he feels the urge to do Naam Jap.

• ਮੰਤ੍ਰੰ ਰਾਮ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੰ ਧ੍ਹਾਨੰ ਸਰਬਤ੍ਰ ਪੂਰਨਹ ॥ ਗ੍ਹਾਨੰ ਸਮ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖੰ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਨਿਰਵੈਰਣਹ ॥ ਦਯਾਲੰ ਸਰਬਤ੍ਰ ਜੀਆ ਪੰਚ ਦੋਖ ਬਿਵਰਜਿਤਹ ॥ ਭੋਜਨੰ ਗੋਪਾਲ ਕੀਰਤਨੰ ਅਲਪ ਮਾਯਾ ਜਲ ਕਮਲ ਰਹਤਹ ॥ ਉਪਦੇਸੰ ਸਮ ਮਿਤ੍ਰ ਸਤ੍ਰਹ ਭਗਵੰਤ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਾਵਨੀ ॥ ਪਰ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਨਹ ਸ੍ਰੋਤਿ ਸ੍ਰਵਣੰ ਆਪੁ ਤ੍ਹਿਾਗਿ ਸਗਲ ਰੇਣੁਕਹ ॥ ਖਟ ਲਖ੍ਹਣ ਪੂਰਨੰ ਪੁਰਖਹ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮ ਸਾਧ ਸ੍ਵਜਨਹ ॥੪੦॥: Mantram Raam Raam naamam dhyaanam sarabatr pooranah…: (A Sant) engages in meditation on the All-pervading Lord through the Mantra of His Name. He has the Wisdom to look alike upon pleasure and pain (i.e. to become free of duality, the pair of opposites or "likes and dislikes") and to live the pure lifestyle, free of ill-will. He is kind to all beings and he has overpowered the five thieves (lust, anger, greed, attachment, and pride. All other evils tendencies in the world are a function of these five. They overtake us like a disease, spreading their filth until they control us). He takes the Kirtan of the Lord's Praise (Rabb Dee Sifat-Slaah) as his food; and remains untouched by Maya, like the lotus in the water. He shares (Divine) Teachings with friend and enemy alike (i.e., he adopts Teaching in which the friend and the enemy look alike to him); and he loves the devotion of God. He listens not to slander; and he renounces self-conceit (eradicates false ego-sense or Aapaa) to become the dust of all (i.e., to develop humility). Says Nanak: whosoever has these six Qualities is the Perfect Person; he is called the Holy (Saadh), the Friend (sggs 1357).

ਜਿਨਾ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਨ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮਾਂ ਮਨਿ ਮੰਤੁ ॥ ਧੰਨੁ ਸਿ ਸੇਈ ਨਾਨਕਾ ਪੂਰਨੁ ਸੋਈ ਸੰਤੁ ॥੧॥: Jinaa Saas Giraas na visarai…: Those who do not forget the Lord's Name even for the duration of a breath or when swallowing a morsel, are praiseworthy. Says Nanak, they are the perfect Saints ||1|| (sggs 319)

The saint is very very rare in this world, they are found to be one in millions. They are true because they love god's true name and therefore god, remembering and loving him 24/7.

The saints are the light of truth in the world.

They are the true, not part time bhagats and are not pompous and showy, they are humble and consider themselves the dust of all.

To me, to know a true saint is to feel that they are true, there are indeed many who are fake, the true ones will be simple and won't show off but their saintliness and true nature can be felt intuitively by one who truly wishes to find god, the saint is usually the person that egotistical and therefore most people do not consider to be true and will not have the biggest following, but humble people will know.

ਹੈਨਿ ਵਿਰਲੇ ਨਾਹੀ ਘਣੇ ਫੈਲ ਫਕੜੁ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ॥੧੨॥: Hain virale naahee ghanae fail fakarr sansaar ||12||: (Saintly beings – ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਸਿਫ਼ਤਿ-ਸਾਲਾਹ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲੇ ਮਨੁੱਖ) are few and far between; everything else is but a pompous show and wrangling in this world (ਆਤਮਕ ਜੀਵਨ ਨੂੰ ਨੀਵਾਂ ਕਰਨ ਵਾਲਾ ਬੋਲ ਬੋਲਣਾਂ) ||12|| (sggs 1411).

Surpriswingly you state that the word was not used during the times of the Gurus but is can defiantely be found in the works of the Gurus poets, in the Parchiyai of Bhai Khanaiya Ji, Bhai Seva Ram, Pandit Gulab Singh and Bhai Adhan Shah. All of who were great mahapursh during and after the time of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Then you also find it in various works such as Bibeksar!