Is There A Market For Sikh Software?

genie

To be honest I don't think many people will buy the product the way you have described it as you haven't given much info, end of the day it depends on exactly what you are creating.

I think what you need to do is approach Sikh organisations and ask for funding from them, and if possible get some sponsers who can advertise their service / product in return for financing the project.

If this program / software you friend is going to develop can help promote our religion to the next generation I think alot of Sikhs will be interested. Approach Sikh businessman and sell it as seva, as that is what it will be to promote our religion. If the first phase goes well it could turn into a viable business, but I feel promoting Sikhi should be done as seva not as a money making tool. If businesses will not help aprroach the sangat and ask them to donate a little money for this project as it tackles the most important of issues i.e. informing our children about Sikhi. All accounts will have to be transparent if you decide this route though. This is just a rough quick message as I'm leaving work now. Best of luck.

Yeh I would say there is a market but one would need to advertise and promote the product alot to get people to buy. At this moment in time I'm gna say that not many parents are into teaching their kids about sikhi, just from what I've seen, your market would prob be mostly amritdhari family's, so if you're aiming to sell in the Uk i'm thinking the market will be pretty small and the people actually willing to buy may be even smaller unless the advertising/packaging and all that is really amazing and stands out.

My parents bought books for us when we were little and were not amritdhari so I guess you'd have a usp which would be that the product is in electronic form.

A way to sell alot of the product could be when weddings are held at the gurdwarra, lol esp when the grooms side knows the brides side is gonna be late and are just hanging around! happy.gif

But there's always risk in putting out a new product unless you conduct surveys asking people if they would actually buy the product, and even then actually getting people to hand over the money is another thing. People on here would have limited knowledge unless they are parents themselves which I am not!

Well done for the idea though, seriously if I had kids I would buy something, most sikh kids are so uneducated these days, and it's because this new wave of uk parents are more westernised, as in taking on the bad qualities of the western world, and detached from sikhi, it's not a dig or an untrue statement, it's a fact.

Either way good luck n god bless.