Who Is God

Guest ads

Ok this might sound like a stupid question but who exactly is God according to sikhi? One of my atheist friends asked me and i ended up giving him a answer which wasn't really too good. Maybe i need to start looking into sikhi more but to the more knowledgeable sikhs out there how exactly would you explain the concept of akaal purakh to a atheist without going into too much detail?

bhul chuk muaff

I am unable to understand even who am I? Who is God, it's beyond my imagination.

Gurubani says,

ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥

ਮਨ ਹਰਿ ਜੀ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਹੈ ਗੁਰਮਤੀ ਰੰਗੁ ਮਾਣੁ ॥

ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣਹਿ ਤਾਂ ਸਹੁ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਮਰਣ ਜੀਵਣ ਕੀ ਸੋਝੀ ਹੋਈ ॥

ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਏਕੋ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਤਾਂ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਨ ਹੋਈ ॥

ਮਨਿ ਸਾਂਤਿ ਆਈ ਵਜੀ ਵਧਾਈ ਤਾ ਹੋਆ ਪਰਵਾਣੁ ॥

ਇਉ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਨ ਤੂੰ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਹੈ ਅਪਣਾ ਮੂਲੁ ਪਛਾਣੁ ॥੫॥

O my mind, you are the embodiment of the Divine Light - recognize your own origin.

O my mind, the Dear Lord is with you; through the Guru's Teachings, enjoy His Love.

Acknowledge your origin, and then you shall know your Husband Lord, and so understand death and birth.

By Guru's Grace, know the One; then, you shall not love any other.

Peace comes to the mind, and gladness resounds; then, you shall be acclaimed.

Thus says Nanak: O my mind, you are the very image of the Luminous Lord; recognize the true origin of your self. ||5||

ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਤੂੰ ਉਸ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਅੰਸ ਹੈਂ ਜੋ ਨਿਰਾ ਨੂਰ ਹੀ ਨੂਰ ਹੈ (ਹੇ ਮਨ!) ਆਪਣੇ ਉਸ ਅਸਲੇ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਬਣਾ। ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਉਹ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਸਦਾ ਤੇਰੇ ਅੰਗ-ਸੰਗ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ, ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਮਤਿ ਲੈ ਕੇ ਉਸ ਦੇ ਮਿਲਾਪ ਦਾ ਸੁਆਦ ਲੈ। ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਜੇ ਤੂੰ ਆਪਣਾ ਅਸਲਾ ਸਮਝ ਲਏਂ ਤਾਂ ਉਸ ਖਸਮ-ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨਾਲ ਤੇਰੀ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਜਾਣ-ਪਛਾਣ ਬਣ ਜਾਏਗੀ, ਤਦੋਂ ਤੈਨੂੰ ਇਹ ਸਮਝ ਭੀ ਆ ਜਾਇਗੀ ਕਿ ਆਤਮਕ ਮੌਤ ਕੀਹ ਚੀਜ਼ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਆਤਮਕ ਜ਼ਿੰਦਗੀ ਕੀਹ ਹੈ। ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਜੇ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਨਾਲ ਇਕ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨਾਲ ਡੂੰਘੀ ਸਾਂਝ ਪਾ ਲਏਂ, ਤਾਂ ਤੇਰੇ ਅੰਦਰ (ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਤੋਂ ਬਿਨਾ) ਕੋਈ ਹੋਰ ਮੋਹ ਪ੍ਰਬਲ ਨਹੀਂ ਹੋ ਸਕੇਗਾ। ਜਦੋਂ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਦੇ ਮਨ ਵਿਚ ਸ਼ਾਂਤੀ ਪੈਦਾ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਜਦੋਂ ਇਸ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਚੜ੍ਹਦੀ ਕਲਾ ਪ੍ਰਬਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਤਦੋਂ ਇਹ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਹਜ਼ੂਰੀ ਵਿਚ ਕਬੂਲ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ। ਨਾਨਕ ਇਉਂ ਦੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ-ਹੇ ਮੇਰੇ ਮਨ! ਤੂੰ ਉਸ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਅੰਸ ਹੈਂ ਜੋ ਨਿਰਾ ਚਾਨਣ ਹੀ ਚਾਨਣ ਹੈ (ਹੇ ਮਨ! ਆਪਣੇ ਉਸ ਅਸਲੇ ਨਾਲ ਸਾਂਝ ਬਣਾ।੫।

explanation by Bhai Sahib Singh Ji

God is Everything, God is the whole universe

He is the Creator,Sustainer but also the Destroyer

God is everywhere - "Nanak is attuned to the Love of the Lord, whose Light pervades the entire Universe"

Guru's were just enlightend with "light" and were one with God our mission is to do the same be enlighted with god

Also ive heard when a singh asked for darshan of waheguru a big shiny light gave him darshan that might make sense because the soul is a small light in our body.

gurbani also states God has "1000 Lotus feet yet none" there lots of other places where god is refered to as lotus

basically god is everything

one God who has existed from the begining of time, never dies and will exist for ever. He/She is genderless; without a body; fearless; without enemies; self sufficent; etc - Gods qualities are too many for people to narrate

this is properly translated in easy terms from wikianswers

1. Truth - Sat
  2. Akaal Moorat - Beyond Space and Time
  3. Self Existance - Ajooni Saibang
  4. God is genederless
  5. God is without rancour, hatred or malice.
  6. God is not vengful
  7. There is only one God.
  8. God resides within every human being.

Dont think of the wind as air, it is God. Why does the wind blow? Because of the wind over there? Humans breathing? God is in the buttons you press, the lungs you use to breathe air into your body, the greass outside. "just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isnt there."

"Universe is the creation of God’s will and God can change his will at any instant" this shows his power so all of us should stay in his good books

when you smell a flower and wonder where the fragrance came from, the party responsible is GOD.

when you eat grapes or any fruit you like and wonder where the taste came from, the party responsible is GOD.

When you look at the flower blossoming and wonder how that happens, the party responsible is GOD

I can go on and on, but basically when things go beyond your understanding (even if they are tears in your eyes), the party responsible is GOD.

I read somewhere long time ago, that if you can just figure out how a flower unfolds, then there is no more to learn in this life time.

God is G , O , and D.

God is G= giver , creates the universe.

God is O= observer , manifests in the creation to uohold it and provides support in the form of Naam.

God is D= destroyer , Destroys evil through Naam Simran. Destroys ego. Destroys pain and suffering. Destroys the universe ultimately.

I get the idea of GOD, i.e. attributes, qualities etc.

Just to take on a side note I know this will be unpopular, but what is religion? Why has it changed so many times over the years i.e over thousands of years. Theres been so many, with different messages and rules.

Look don't take it the wrong way I am seeking Sikhi, BUT I feel it is a valid question to ask.

As in Roman, Greek even ancient arab and Indian religions which have no trace at all. Why did those prohpets get it wrong? Why did God not just send one prohpet to the whole world at the start of time?

God is sukh saroop, anand saroop, adwayat saroop, chetan saroop.

God has no religion and favours no religion more than another. Lets say a kid makes a sand castle and then just randomly decides to destroy the castle he made. Why did he do it? In the same way it is up to waheguru to make a new or even end existing religions.... No one knows his order(hukam)

But the best and purest religion is one that has it's followers remember and pray to god the most in....

God is sukh saroop, anand saroop, adwayat saroop, chetan saroop.

God has no religion and favours no religion more than another. Lets say a kid makes a sand castle and then just randomly decides to destroy the castle he made. Why did he do it? In the same way it is up to waheguru to make a new or even end existing religions.... No one knows his order(hukam)

But the best and purest religion is one that has it's followers remember and pray to god the most in....

I know. ALL HUMANS ARE EQUAL.

But why is there so much hate amongst religions?