Bibeki-what do you eat?

Mkhalsa

vwihgurUjIkwKwlsw!

vwihgurUjIkI&iqh!!

saadh sangat jee,

i don't know anything but i have been taught that "bib" means two

for example in the shabad

"har har jan duee ayk hai bib bichaar kachh naahi"

this is by Guru Gobind Singh Jee and Guru Sahib is saying that God and God's servant are one, there is no thought of them being two

the word "vyaa" originally came from Bibaahaa according to Baba Nihaal Singh Jee Khaalsaa Nihung

vyaa also means when two entities become one - as Guru Sahib has written in bani that they are not a married couple who sit beside each other - the true marriage is when there are two entities from which one light shines.

i don't know anything but in this regard i've been taught that bib-ek means "two-one"

the essential meaning is that bibek means turning

dubdaa into ekta

shankaa into vishvaash

shak into bharosa

vaham into sahaj

And this could be in any aspect of life. The utham vishvaash or the utham bibek in all aspects of life can only come from Guru jee.

If I truly want to be bibeki, and practice discerning or discriminating intellect, then I need to destroy duality between myself and the creator and the creation.

"hohu sabhnaa kee raynkaa thou aao hamaarai paas"

"sabh jee thayray prabhoo mayray kar kirpaa sabh rayN thheevaa(n)"

"kahai naanak aap chhadd sukh paavai"

"aap gavaaeeai thaa(n) sahu paaeeai aur kaisee chathuraaee"

And secondly I have to recognize that there

is only One Guru

"saahib mayraa ayko hai || ayko hai bhaaee ayko hai ||"

"ayk pitaa aykus kay ham baarak || thoo(n) mayraa gur haaee ||"

"ayk tayk ayko aadhaar"

"avar naa jaanaa dooaa theeaa"

"mayray satguraa mai thujh bin avar naa koay"

These are the most important things... once I do these... other things will come in line... the idea here is that I am one with all is one with Me, but at the same time I am nothing without Guru is everything for Me :wub:

And in that sense if you believe those two things you won't argue with people either... if somebody says "eating in sarbloh is the only bibek" - my reaction: ^_^ and if somebody says "eating in sarbloh is not bibek at all" - my reaction: ^_^ ... these are different perspectives on rehit and we should not argue about them because that creates duality ... the only force that can dispell this doubt or this duality is the Guru, and Guru Granth Sahib maharaaj dee hajooree vich Guru Khalsa Panth noo saajiaa gyaa hai so that Guru Khalsa Panth is the full and final physical authority on itself under the supreme authority of Guru Granth Sahib. Therefore until a gathering of the Sarbat Guru Khalsa Panth at Sri Akal Takhat Sahib happens - we should avoid arguments and do our own thing.

and another version of bib is bip - bipran kee reet is the practice of duality. some people call it the way of the brahmin but it's also the way of duality.

guru sahib has told us when we become double-mind

ed we won't get praise and support from guru maharaaj. only when we are niaaraa, and we can only get that from ekta, and we can only get that from nimartaa, and we can only get that from guru jee.... so guru jee kirpa karan.........

please forgive me for talking too much

please forgive my mistakes

vwihgurUjIkwKwlsw!

vwihgurUjIkI&iqh!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that means people who keep bibek can't eat at Gurdwaras. Because you don't know who made the food. In most cases it is non-Amritdhari. In the states, I have never seen an Amritdhari person cooking, it is mostly monas. Guru Sahib ate at different people's homes, they were not all Sikhs even..

GurFateh

So that means people who keep bibek can't eat at Gurdwaras.  Because you don't know who made the food.  In most cases it is non-Amritdhari.  In the states, I have never seen  an Amritdhari person cooking, it is mostly monas.  Guru Sahib ate at different people's homes, they were not all Sikhs even..

GurFateh

Good point.

Another, if Raam ji could eat the jhoot of a low-caste bibi who saved him was it cherries ? and picked them out specifically for Raam ji, and took a bite out of each one to test if its sweet or not. Knowing this Raam ji still ate it, is it sucha still ? Pyaar pyareo, pyaar.

just my two cents....

So that means people who keep bibek can't eat at Gurdwaras.  Because you don't know who made the food.  In most cases it is non-Amritdhari.  In the states, I have never seen  an Amritdhari person cooking, it is mostly monas.  Guru Sahib ate at different people's homes, they were not all Sikhs even..

GurFateh

Good point.

Another, if Raam ji could eat the jhoot of a low-caste bibi who saved him was it cherries ? and picked them out specifically for Raam ji, and took a bite out of each one to test if its sweet or not. Knowing this Raam ji still ate it, is it sucha still ? Pyaar pyareo, pyaar.

just my two cents....

proper langar maryada is that langar must be made by amritdharis in sarbloh.

look at most old gurudwaras in punjab, many have signs up saying you can only do langar seva if you are amritdhari. Most of the karahees have always been sarbloh and still are.

but this maryada for some reason is dying out because of our adoption of democracy. sikhi is not a democracy.

regarding cherries, there

s nothing wrong with eating them. If I am hungry I will eat fruit if nothing else. Why not? as long as it has been washed it is not effected by the person who has picked it.

I am not very good at explaining this, Kulbir Singh on tapoban.org and others are much better at explaining this.

regarding guru sahibs eating at other peoples houses. prove it. guru sahib has never eaten at a non sikhs house, why would he not follow the rehat he has set out for us?

I suggest you also read this article to understand where I am coming from (its not very long): Guru Ka Langar and Bebek

I just want to mention, a few years ago I myself posted many things AGAINST bibek. I hated it. I thought so called bibekis were a bunch of brahmin hypocrites with ego problems who thought they were better than everyone else and I thought they had no place in the panth and were a bunch of stupid people. you could probably do a search on akj.org and find old posts by me saying stuff like that.

guru sahib showed me the truth and I realized my mistake. only through experiencing it for some time am I just beginning to realize the benefits. I am not a prime example of a bibeki, because I am not a true bibeki. I only keep food bibek and I dont listen to music, but theres a lot of other stuff I can fix in my life that I should keep bibek with that would help me out. I have a very distracted mind and need to work on that.

look at the examples of real bibekis like bhai sahib bhai randhir singh jee and bhai jeevan singh jee and even some of the tapoban singhs.

There is a saakhi, and if someone knows the details please post them, Guru Nanak Dev Ji was invited to eat at a King's palace and he refused, rather he ate at a poor carpenter's home who had gotten his food through truthful means and when Guru Sahib squeezed food from the King it dripped blood because he had not gotten the food through truthful means and when he did the same to the carpenter's it dripped milk. Point being, that the carpenter was not a Sikh. The way that I see it if you can follow bibek then more power to you. But those that are Amritdhari but can not, for example, if their family members are non-amritdhari then that is fine. If you are a student it is difficult esp if you are living with non-amritdharis. The bottom line being that you don't eat meat or eggs.

Amritdharis should make food at Gurdwaras but that is not reality. In every Gurdwara that I've been to and you take a look in the kitchen and no one is Amritdhari. Does that mean you don't eat Guru Ka Langar at the Gurdwara?

Bul Chuk Maaf

GurFateh

vahejeo, this is the sakhi of malik bhago which I used as an example for bibek earlier in this thread.

the poor carpenter was a gursikh who was in love with guru sahib. again, guru sahib prefered to eat at the gursikhs house rather than a rich manmukh

and not eating meat is a form of food bibek. as I said, if this is where you draw the line, good on you, but we should all strive to be better. I still have a longggggg way to go. Sikhi is about learning and working to be better. we should have an aim that by such and such date I intend to be amritdhari, by such and such date my amritvela will be pakka, by such and such date I will make my food bibek stronger by not eating out etc, by such and such date I will stop listening to music, by such and such date I will do sukhmani sahib every day, etc the more we work on ourselves the stronger we will be. We are always talking about helping the panth, set an example for others by being a gursikh yourself, then you can help the panth.

Guest balwinderkaur

ooooooooooooooo is that HOTHOTHOTHOTHOT chilli i see??????????????? oh geez i wish i could have lotsssssssss of that chilli.............yummmmmm