Taking Sggs Ji'S Saroop To Private Residences

AG51

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed on here. I was wondering what the sanagts view was on the following scenario.

Sri Akal Takht Sahib has made it quite clear as to the parkash of Maharaj's Saroop in social settings due to the issue of meat, alcohol, tobacco etc. I was wondering how the hukamnama against this practice applies to when Sikhs do Parkash at home for an Akhand Path or other such smagam. As many of us would agree most Sikhs are not Amritdhari and eat meat, drink alcohol in their homes. Is it right to do Parkash in this situation or should the hukamnama issued also apply. Should Sikhs in this situation hold their paths and kirtans at the Gurdwara instead?

The reason I bring this up is not so long ago I went to a family kirtan. A famous jatha was in town and my aunt thought she would have them do kirtan at home. Parkash of Maharaj's Saroop was done. After the kirtan was concluded and langer was being served my nephew was in the kitchen. He opens the fridge door to get a drink and out falls a slice of pizza covered in meat toppings. He picks it up off the floor and throws it in the bin. I'm sure they still had their bottles of whisky hidden away in the house too.

Is this right? Should we encourage peole to hold their functions at the Gurdwara to ensure no beadbi occurs.

WJKK WJKF.

Bhaji, this is a tricky dilema.

On one hand we need to give total respect and adhave to Guru Sahib Ji but on the other we must not shrink sikhi so much that it only exists is the gurdwaray. There was a time when many hindus and muslins used to come to the gurdwara and pay their respects, we have driven them away. Many non-sikhs used to do parkash of Guru Sahib Ji with shardha, rather then teach them how to show respect of Guru Ji we stormed in and took Guru Ji to the local Gurdwara. Slowly but surely we are shrinking our own dharam. We now have many people who bring Guru Ji home and do parkash, should we bar them from doing this and just have Guru Ji at gurdwaras or should we educate people properly so that due respect is shown.

After the kirtan was concluded and langer was being served my nephew was in the kitchen. He opens the fridge door to get a drink and out falls a slice of pizza covered in meat toppings. He picks it up off the floor and throws it in the bin. I'm sure they still had their bottles of whisky hidden away in the house too.

Did that ^^^^ really happen are you embellishing the facts for dramatic / humourous effect? So a slice of meat pizza just happened to fall out of the fridge when it was opened, ey? So the fridge was bursting to the brim with pizza was it? How about proof of whiskey bottles still being in the house, rather than a vague feeling? I understand your sentiments 100% but the above occurences seem a little far-fetched to me.

Personally I think people who don't partake in meat, alcohol, etc., should be perfect candidates for providing SGGS Ji a perfect temporary home during an Akhand Path, etc. Any other house where the aforementioned substances are consumed, I would not be happy in seeing SGGS Ji at that place of residence. You'd think people would know what is in their own home (and what their personal practices are), and then make a decision accordingly. Obviously not.

we have guru granth sahib ji at home.. we brought guru ji home and shortly after that i started getting into sikhi. i didnt do paath but i just cried my eyes out because i felt far away from vaheguroo jee and started keeping my kesh and then started learning more about sikhi.

having guru ji in our house is a blessing but people wouldn't stop bringing meat inside. my parents took everything out everything with eggs.. including cookies and gelatin before we brought guru ji. then our extended family would come over and they started eating in the garage (Technically thats still in the house)

then they started bringing it inside because it was too cold or not pleasant to eat in the garage.. and now we always have meat at our house..in our fridge.

its so sad and annoying i said mean things to people, my parents and extended family i love them and didnt want to hurt anyones feelings but i wanted to say it so badly

they were talking about how people are doing beadbi of guruji by fighting in gurudwaras and other things that are going on and i said so are we by bringing meat inside sad.gif

my sister said hurtful things to mom and then she was told to shut up so she hasnt said anything since.

my parents justify bringing meat inside by saying baba jis upstairs we arent taking it upstairs... people that live in apartments have gurujis saroop in their apartment and i am sure not everyone living in the complex is vegetarian.

but anyways.. back to the story.. its sad that we are doing beadbi of guruji we talked to our family about this and they said that we will tell gyani ji to ask people if they want to have gurujis saroop in their house so no beadbi is done but i said no to it.. because its amazing having guruji in the house.. sad.gif

WJKK WJKF

The most important, is respect for SGGS. Why not challenge and change oneself and

family memebers till we can bring SGGS home,without any future ill feeling and

frictions within family members. I know in the 70's and 80's where some monas wanted

to do akand paath at home and were advised by the local singhs from the Gurdwara

that if they agree to partake amrit Akand paat would be done,otherwise no way.

And those local singhs happen to be AKJ singhs..They succeeded as those monas 6months

later took amrit and recieved SGGS blessings, in fact their offspring to this day

has SGGS at home 3rd generation onwards.That kind of parchar nowadays is out of

the window as Akand paats have become business mostly but not entirely.