Turban Ban In Schools - Essay

5abiSingh

I got the oppertunity to write on this subject - well I chose this from many others - since the subject affects my faith.

The article is mainly about Burka ban in some schools European countries. I got to analyse it and give my opinion.

I just wanted to ask fellow Sangat to give me few of their ideas which I could add in the text - without sounding like an extremist to my teacher ;D

(Please keep in mind that the article says one can wear religious symbols anywhere but not in school.)

WJKK WJKF

From what I've read over the years, a burka isn't stated to be a necessity for Muslim women as its not mentioned in their holy book. Its more of a cultural tradition depending on personal choice. Some people say the burka has been imposed by males to "protect" women from the attention of men. Some Muslim women take offence to this as they think it means they are being dictated to by men in their religion.

The turban on the other hand is required and is one of pre-requisites for a baptised Sikh (apologies if I'm incorrect). There is no getting around this at all. Some people might look at a Sikh with cut hair, etc., and argue that "He's a Sikh why isn't he wearing a turban?", to which I'm sure you can answer with a relevant reply. :D

The other side of the argument is that some people say that religious garb or symbols of any sort must not be worn in a secular society. When it comes to schools its very difficult if you argue that "Sikhs should be exempt from the ban" as (mostly ignorant) people would say "Do you think you're more special than everyone else?". Its a difficult one.

WJKK WJKF

5abiSingh jeeo, Just one point to bear in mind and revolve the idea

of symbols, we must come away from this term. In Sikhism, ours are

not religous symbols but "articles of faith". There was a great

lecture on this very issue by Harinder Singh on SIKHTV just last week

you may be able to get hold of it if you contact them.

just my 2 cents.