Sikh Giani Recruitment Model Vs Muslim Cleric Recruitment Model

Aman0001

GPS - Im not saying that all Granthis are bad, but its common knowledge that you get quite alot of Granthis who cause untold damage to the image of Sikhi by doing anti sikhi things (listed above)

Granthi singhs have set very lofty traditions in sikhism and have impressed many non sikhs to join sikhism.

Many outsiders were impressed by their personal lives and there are countless stories that say a lot about their

commitment to sikhi.

http://www.sikhnet.c...t=4321&start=10

Recently, a very senior non-Sikh officer of Himachal Pradesh stated

his desire to improve the road from Rajghat to Baru Sahib Gurdwara

from a sense of gratitude to a Sikh, whom he had met in his childhood.

He said he belongs to a remote village in Kangra district. About 45

years ago, his elder sister had to appear for matriculation

examination at Mandi. Since there was no mode of transportation

available in those days, they went on foot and reached Rawalsar,

about twenty-five kilometers short of Mandi late at night. They were

tired and hungry and looked for shelter. They knocked at the door of

the local Shiv Mandir and next at the Buddhist Temple, but no one

cared for them. On hearing that there was also a small Gurdwara in the

vicinity, they went there almost near midnight and knocked at the

granthi's house. The granthi received them with open arms, gave them

hot water for wash, fed them with a hot meal and provided beds

for the night's rest. He did not allow them to go the next morning

without a meal and cooked food for them for the rest of the day, and a

request to stay in the gurdwara on their return journey as well.

The officer stated that as a child from a remote village, he had no

idea about the Sikh religion. The meeting with the granthi at Rawalsar

was his first encounter with a Sikh, and at the treatment he received

made on his impressionable mind a lasting imprint that Sikhism is a

human caring and altruistic faith that embraces all humanity and is an

un-failing succour of the needy and the neglected. That impression

motivated him 45 years later to do all he could to improve the road to

Baru Sahib Gurdwara, which also runs a langar for visitors, travellers

and the destitute.

unquote

There are other countless stories to relate where lives of Granthi singhs

have touched many. Just because a handful may not be good , we have

no reason to generalize them.

Selection of Bhai sahibs is the responsibility of local Gurudwara committees

and they are responsible what type of Granthi singh they select.

I have seen granthi positions advertised in the local jobcentre. I doubt very much that's where they will find the right person, I guess it's just fulfilling the legal requirement that they have advertised the position in this country before getting someone from india. We can't blame granthis for moving on once they have gained leave to remain as the position does not pay enough currently for anyone to support there family. Even though in the jobcentre I see the vacancy advertised as 18 hours a week I know the granthi ji at our local gurughar is there more then that. Based on what they are paid it's too much to expect one person to do all that is involved, Especially in the smaller gurdwaras.

I do believe we need granthi jis who are born and bought up here and maybe sponsored to study so that they can effectively communicate with the youth and answer there questions. I do believe the role of a granthi does extend beyond doing paht and teaching vaja/kirtan etc and should also maybe extend to a counselling/guidance role too. Someone we could go to with problems and concerns that could be answered with help of bani. We say people shouldn't go to these people who advertise in papers that they can solve your problems, but we hardly take the time to find out what causes them to go there. Yes all the answers are in bani that we need for our lives but not all of us have the knowledge to find the answers especially in times of despair.