Party Behaviour During Langar

mundasingh123

I always seen People sitting in a Langar with gratitude towards god for the Parshada and Dal that they were going to get served.People usually sit with a Lot of Sanctity.Recently while doing Seva , I observed guys sitting in Langar and ordering for Dal and Parshada as if they were sitting in a Restaurant and ordering the Waiter to serve them . I saw guys making faces towards the Sevadar and waiving him off in case they didnt want something and being rude towards the first sevadar that came to them after a Long time. What should the sevadar do in such circumstances ? Should he show his anger and give them a dose of his medicine and rant or threaten them with Karcchi .I am asking this cos I have also faced this.

How about this? It is Guru Ji's house, his langar, why don't you ask Guru Ji? Next time you go to the Gurudwara Sahib take a hukamnama after asking Guru Granth Sahib Ji advise on this matter. Then do accordingly.

Bhenji,Can you elaborate ? How to get a Hukumnama.I find this a bit cryptic so it would be great if u can elaborate it a bit.I dont have a good connect with GuruJi

Bhenji,Can you elaborate ? How to get a Hukumnama.I find this a bit cryptic so it would be great if u can elaborate it a bit.I dont have a good connect with GuruJi

If you read the sakhi about Gurudwara Nankana Sahib and how it got freed from the evil mahant, you will know what I mean. Most of our natural instict would be to fight in those conditions. But look at those Singhs that gave their lives but did not fight back. It was their scarfice that brought the whole panth to arms and made the mahant run away, so the Gurudwara Sahib could once again be under the khalsa rule.

There is no cryptic message. and you don't know if you have a good connection, only guru ji knows. Just be honest and even if it sounds silly, tell Guru Ji exactly how you feel about what happened in the langar and then ask for advice on what to do. After ardas, take hukamnama. If you can't understand the hukamnama post it on sikhsangat and I am sure many people are ready to help you understand the hukam and follow it.

I always seen People sitting in a Langar with gratitude towards god for the Parshada and Dal that they were going to get served.People usually sit with a Lot of Sanctity.Recently while doing Seva , I observed guys sitting in Langar and ordering for Dal and Parshada as if they were sitting in a Restaurant and ordering the Waiter to serve them . I saw guys making faces towards the Sevadar and waiving him off in case they didnt want something and being rude towards the first sevadar that came to them after a Long time. What should the sevadar do in such circumstances ? Should he show his anger and give them a dose of his medicine and rant or threaten them with Karcchi .I am asking this cos I have also faced this.

For 99% of situations...

Think about this and say it with calm courage, humility and be honest, otherwise it won't work. Tell the people behaving in this manner that you are very sorry that you see their behavior (identify specific behaviour) as abrupt/demanding/challenging. Repeat that you are sorry and that you'll try to change your view. Do everything in your power to change your view. You will notice the problem go away. It does not matter who was responsible, it matters that we are all respectful.

Do not have anger, therefore no need to show anger. Easy to say, difficult to do. Punjabi's culture confuses anger with power and courage. Anger is a loss of power, courage and control. You lose power, you lose the ability to empower.

When you do sewa you have to be like a white sheet lain on the ground. That is how humble you have to be. There is no room for anger or ego. The sangat is the sangat and you are the sewadhar, even if they snap their fingers and order this and order that then as Guru dha sewadhar you have to snap to it with great humblness and without ego, this is the secret of sewa.

By all means have a word with them and point out if they are being thoughtless but in a humble manner and if they still continue as they were before then you carry on with your sewa and serve them with respect and humblness.

Dont to anything... yet.

Dont worry, Guru ji is watching. You are not the only one who has noticed, other people are probably realising that these people are making a problem. Sooner or later someone will kick them out, and if no one does anything then ask them politley to behave or leave. No point in starting a fight, eh?