Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji To Be Taken To Party Hall

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!!

This issue was first highlighted on the following thread:

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/57990-hire-of-a-gurdwara-hall-beadbi/

A group known as Ayrshire Sikh Association (Scotland) hold a monthy diwan at the Woodlands Centre (16 Kilwinning Road Irvine Ayrshire KA12 8RU). This a community centre run by North Ayreshire Council which functions as hall available for any community bookings, which would permit alcohol and meat. The saroop of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is taken to these premises on a monthly basis. There is also a Gurdwara in Ayrshire which has been recently purchased by the local sangat, however due to some local issues Ayrshire Sikh Association do not associate with the only Guru Ghar in their town and carry on holding monthly diwans in the Woodlands Centre.

The Woodlands Centre has been holding Sikh Diwans since 2003. In February 2010 the local Sangat were able to raise the finances to purchase a building to be their sole Gurdwara. With the hard work of the local sangat the Gurdwara was opened in October 2010. However. the Ayrshire Sikh Association (as an official body) are still holding monthly diwans in the Woodlands Centre and do not wish to attend the newly opened Gurdwara. The Gurdwara is around 1 mile from the Woodlands Centre.

On Sunday 30th January 2011, Ayrshire Sikh Association will be holding their monthy diwan at the Woodlands Centre, where once again Maharaj's Saroop will be brought. It has been publicised as a landmark diwan:

Newspaper Article

The main issue is that the pavitar Saroop of Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is transported 40 miles from Glasgow every month and then taken to this council run community hall which would otherwise be involved in some non-Gurmat activities. There is also a local freelance Granthi in Ayreshire who involves himself with the monthly diwan Woodlands Centre. The whole intention of the local sikh sangat purchasing the Gurdwara building was to stop any beadbi which they felt was taking place over the 7 years.

Whilst there is no denying of the sharda that the Ayrshire Sikh Association hold, taking the pavitar Saroop of Dhan Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji to a place like Woodlands Centre is not only offensive and sacrilegous to Sikhs it is also in violation to Akal Takht Hukumanama of 1998.

Pressure is being applied on the Ayrshire Sikh Association from some members of the UK Sikh Community to stop this beadbi and form a union with the local Guru Ghar, however Sangat pressure is now required to help resolve this issue.

Please politetly email the management at Woodlands Centre and request that they refrain from hurting the sentiments of Sikhs by not allowing Ayrshire Sikh Association to bring Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji on their premises.

Woodlands Centre

16 Kilwinning Road Irvine Ayrshire KA12 8RU

communityfacilities@north-ayrshire.gov.uk (Email)

Email template to communityfacilities@north-ayrshire.gov.uk

I am emailing you in regards to a ‘Sikh’ gathering which has been booked for 30th January 2010 at the Woodlands Centre (16 Kilwinning Road Irvine Ayrshire KA12 8RU)

This gathering will involve bringing 'Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji', the Sikhs' Sacred Scripture, which the Sikhs regard with utmost reverence and sanctity. The Sikh's Supreme Authority ‘Sri Akal Takht Sahib’ has banned the Sacred Scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, from being taken to places where there is alcohol, tobacco or meat served. It clearly has been said that Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is not allowed to be taking to party halls, hotels, pubs or bars. Therefore, this a clear violation of the Sikhs religious sentiments.

There have been previous cases recently where certain ‘Sikh’ groups have disregarded the sanctity and sacredness of the Sikh's Scripture and have violated the edict of the Sikh supreme authority. These incidents have led to peaceful protests outside venues with Sikhs from across the UK coming to support these measures, and also police involvement.

We hope you will also realise the seriousness of the issue and prevent the disrespect and violation sacred scripture, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, from happening by not allowing Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji onto your premises on 30th January 2010.

one thing i would say is to be extremely careful how this is dealt with, i am certain the media would be all too eager to turn this into being something anti-women. we saw this with the ramanand case where it was turned into a caste issue whent caste had nothing to do with it. it must be very clear to all, especially the media that the objection is nothing to do with females.

on a side note, its kinda weird how its a big deal that bibia are leading, i thought it was pretty normal...

one thing i would say is to be extremely careful how this is dealt with, i am certain the media would be all too eager to turn this into being something anti-women. we saw this with the ramanand case where it was turned into a caste issue whent caste had nothing to do with it. it must be very clear to all, especially the media that the objection is nothing to do with females.

on a side note, its kinda weird how its a big deal that bibia are leading, i thought it was pretty normal...

It's obviously being used as promotional material. They will simply put forward a bibya da jatha for kirtan, something which already takes place in thousands of Gurdwaras around the world. This is nothing big for Sikhs, as we all know , but I guess the Ayrshire Sikh Association are probably sensationalising this to jusitfy why they use the Woodlands Centre for their diwans and not the local Gurdwara.

One of the Singh's just spoke to a really nice lady at Woodlands Centre who said she's just an employee of the council. They've already had dozen calls and 3 emails. She personally can't do anything but she has communciated this issue to her manager. They are sensitive to our religious concerns but have to allow meat and alcohol on site. They only thing they don't allow is prositution and gambling. They are getting in touch with Ayrshire Sikh Association. The issue has been escalated to Cunningham house which I guess is North Ayrshire Council's head centre.

I'm not quite grasping the issue at hand. Why are the bibiya having this deewan at the centre? What is it about the Gurudwara that is 1 mile away that they object to?

I think it's a simple split between the very very small Sikh community. The ASA group do not want to attend the newly purchased Gurdwara but will do the beadbi of Maharaj's Saroop in the community centre. The newpaper article about women ministers is just a spin they've created on.

According to the local Sangat it's a dhadhi jatha from Birmingham who will be at the diwan in the Woodlands Centre on 30th Jan.

I think it's a simple split between the very very small Sikh community. The ASA group do not want to attend the newly purchased Gurdwara but will do the beadbi of Maharaj's Saroop in the community centre. The newpaper article about women ministers is just a spin they've created on.

According to the local Sangat it's a dhadhi jatha from Birmingham who will be at the diwan in the Woodlands Centre on 30th Jan.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. I just wasn't getting the complete picture. Well, the ASA need to sort their heads out and stop putting their own pride in-front of doing what's right for Guru Granth Sahib Ji. Its madness.

Dialogue with the aim of preventing this Beadbi (Sacrilege) happening has been ongoing for the last month by Satkaar Campaign Sevadaars with: (i) Ayrshire Sikh Association; and (ii) the Gurdwara in Glasgow from where the Saroop is brought. We have also requested the Ayrshire Sikh Association to resolve their differences with the local Gurdwara in Irvine.

As the situation is currently fluid and there have been significant developments today (for example, an apparent resignation by the Chairman of the Ayrshire Sikh Association), we will be providing a full statement in due course once the situation is clearer.