Us Court Summons Kamal Nath In Sikh Genocide Case

US court summons Cong, Kamal Nath for 1984 riots

Ramaninder K Bhatia, TNN, Mar 3, 2011, 05.36am IST

Article

Tags:US District Court|Kamal Nath|Congress|1984 Sikh riotsUS court summons Congress, Kamal Nath for 1984 riots

CHANDIGARH: A US district court has summoned the Congress (I), earlier avatar of Congress, for ''conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on the Sikh population of India in November 1984''. On March 1, the US District Court for the Southern District of New York, summoned Congress (I) following a law suit filed by Sikhs For Justice (SFJ). This is a US-based human rights group pursuing the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases in India and US under Alien Tort Claims Act (ATCA) and Torture Victim Protection Act (TVPA).

The SFJ, along with families of some of the Sikh victims, is pursuing the case in the US court. The families had shifted to USA after the riots. Union minister Kamal Nath is also one of the respondents in the case.

''Within 21 days of the service of this summon on you... you must serve on the plaintiff an answer to the unattached complaint or a motion under rule 12 of the Federal Rules of Civil procedure,'' read the summons sent to Congress-I and Kamal Nath at the US office of Indian National Overseas Congress at Union Street, Flushing, New York.

In a statement, Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, SFJ's legal advisor, said, ''The gravity, scale and specially the organized nature of these attacks was concealed by the Indian government portraying them as November 1984 anti-Sikh riots of Delhi. These attacks were neither riots nor were they confined to Delhi alone. In fact, during November 1984, Sikhs were attacked in 18 states and more than 100 cities of India in an identical manner and the attackers were led by Congress (I) leaders.''

Jatinder Singh Grewal, SFJ youth coordinator, said Congress (I) ''committed genocide against Sikhs as defined in Article 2 of UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, 1948''.

Read more: US court summons Cong, Kamal Nath for 1984 riots - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/US-court-summons-Cong-Kamal-Nath-for-1984-riots/articleshow/7616370.cms#ixzz1FW6Yt3xO

Please see this link and statement issued by Sikhs For justice Attorney Gurpatwant Singh Pannun.

http://sikhsforjustice.org/?q=node/2633

CONGRESS (I) SUMMONED BY U.S. FEDERAL COURT FOR ORGANIZING NOVEMBER 1984 SIKH MASSACRE

On March 01, 2011, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York issued summons against Congress (I) for conspiring, aiding, abetting and carrying out organized attacks on Sikh population of India in November 1984. The summons against Congress have been issued pursuant to a class action law suit filed (SFJ v. Congress (I) SDNY (10 CV 2940)) under Alien Tort Claims Act (ATCA) and Torture Victim Protection Act (TVPA). The plaintiffs in the case against Congress (I) are “Sikhs For Justice” (SFJ) a US based human rights group along with several Sikhs from different states and cities of India who survived attacks in November 1984.

According to attorney Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, legal advisor to “Sikhs For Justice” (SFJ), “the gravity, scale and specially the organized nature of these attacks was concealed by the Indian governments’ portraying them as “November 1984 Anti-Sikh Riots of Delhi”. These attacks were neither “riots” nor were they confined to Delhi alone. In fact, during November 1984, Sikhs were attacked in 18 states and more than 100 cities of India in an identical manner and the attackers were led by Congress (I) leaders.

Basis of the law suit against Congress (I) is that in November 1984 the “organized killing” of Sikh took place only in states where Congress (I) was in power. According to the Government of India’s record a total of 3296 Sikhs were killed during November 1984. The information was released by Ministry of Home Affairs with seal and signatures of Director A.K. Saxena in response to an RTI Application filed by Panjab & Haryana advocate and Chief Legal Counsel for Sikhs For Justice, Navkiran Singh.

While a total of 35,535 claims for deaths and injuries during November 1984 were received throughout India. Out of more than 35 thousand claims, only 11,164 claims were from Delhi while more than 20,000 claims were from Bihar, Chhatisgarh, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir; Jharkhand, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Orissa, Uttara Khand, Uttar Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal.

The complaint begins with the February 2011 discovery of “Mass Grave” of Sikhs who were killed in November 1984 in state of Haryana. A senior Congress party leader and former Union Home Minister of India, Buta Singh on February 21, 2011 alleged that then Haryana Chief Minister and Congress leader Bhajan Lal organized the attacks on Sikhs in Haryana during November 1984.

Attorney Pannun stated that seeking relief under the ATCA and TVPA is motivated by an interest in seeking some form of justice for the victims of November 1984 Sikh Genocide, will raise awareness to the international community regarding denial of justice to the victims and is a mean of holding parties in power accountable for their gross violations of human rights – while also offering the potential to deter future abuses.

As per Jatinder Singh Grewal, Youth Coordinator, Sikhs For Justice, Indian National Congress (Congress-I), the political party in power then and now, committed the crime of Genocide against Sikhs as defined in Article 2 of UN Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide, 1948.

The government of India, by painting the attacks on Sikhs in November 1984 as “riots” instead of “Genocide” and by failing to punish the leaders of Congress (I), violated its duties under Article 1 the Genocide Convention further stated Grewal.

According to Avtar Singh Pannu, Barjinder Singh Brar, Charanjit Singh Harnampuri, Dr. Bakhshish Singh Sandhu, Master Mohinder Singh and Dilvar Singh Sekhon, Coordinators, Sikhs For Justice, Government of India lost its credibility by shielding those responsioble for the genocide of Sikhs during November 1984 and now Sikhs are forced to take the matter of November 1984 Sikh Genocide issue to the international forum. The forlorn debris and human remains at village Hondh-Chillar in Haryana discovered after 26 years are the most specific and convincing evidence of Sikhs localities being attacked and wiped out throughout India in an identical pattern during November 1984. The evidence discovered on site indicates systematic pattern in which armed groups lead by Congress Leaders would cordon Sikh neighborhoods, rape the women and burn the men and children alive.

Issued By:

Gurpatwant S Pannun, Attorney at Law

Legal Advisor, Sikhs For Justice

T 718-938-7801

E: gurpatwant.pannun@sikhsforjustice.org | gurpatwant.pannun@gmail.com

Forming our version of Mossad and hunting these rats down?

I guess that's a tongue-in-cheek response, but it still got me a bit excited, lol. Imagine a Sikh Mossad! Although going undercover would be a problem.

Sadly, Mossad knows that the U.S. have got their back. We'd be on our own.

I meant in a peaceful way through courts and on the international media front.

I dont believe in violence as Sikhs only use violence for defence and not attack

Although SIkhs should train in anti terrorism measures in case anybody tries to exterminate us again like they tried a lot of times previously.

I dont believe they will try to do it violently now it will be through alcohol drugs and poisoning the Punjabs water supply like they have been caught doing in Ludhiana

We need to watch our medical care our food and our neighbours in India

Only go to Sikh doctors Use Sikh Food Vendors and we are pretty much safe do a google search on how many people get caught every week sending in masses of poisoned food into Punjab and note the names THEY ARE ALL HINDU

Nothing like I mean in a peaceful way through courts and in the media the truth does not need to seek tactics of violence

Peace is the way

I'm inclined to agree with you. But I'd add the following caveat: "No violence against civilians or the general population of ANY background. For the perpetrators of the crimes, anything goes."