2 Elderly Sikhs Shot In California; 1 Dead

A $30,000 reward has been offered in the case of two elderly men who were shot -- one fatally -- while they took an afternoon walk in the Sacramento suburb of Elk Grove.

Police found Surinder Singh, 65, and Gurmej Atwal, 78, on the sidewalk about 4:30 p.m. Friday, each with multiple gunshot wounds to the upper torso. Singh was pronounced dead at the scene and Atwal remains hospitalized in critical condition.

The case has puzzled investigators and left the Northern California Sikh community reeling with fear and anger.

Elk Grove police are investigating the shooting as a possible hate crime, in part because the men wore traditional Sikh turbans. But detectives have yet to find any evidence of such a crime, a spokesman said.

“The city of Elk Grove is a marvelously diverse community and the possibility that one of our valued community groups might have been targeted because of their national origin or religion is of grave concern,” Elk Grove Police Chief Robert M. Lehner said in a statement over the weekend.

[/url] The shooting has sent shock waves through the Sacramento area’s sizable Sikh community, which has in the last few days collected enough money for a $30,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the shooter. The victims were described as retired neighbors who went on afternoon walks together.

Darshan Singh Mundy, a community leader, said fear over the shooting has left some Sacramento-area Sikhs shut inside their homes and scared to emerge for traditional afternoon walks.

“The two families are shocked and this is a totally brutal killing,” he said, "for people to be walking around and someone to just be shot for no reason.”

Mundy said the men may have been targeted because they wore beards and turbans and may have been confused for Muslims.

In an unrelated incident in November, two men attacked a Sikh taxi driver in Sacramento after mistaking him for a Muslim. One of the men admitted Monday in a no-contest plea to committing a hate crime.

Elk Grove police have been interviewing possible witnesses but have not spoken to anyone who witnessed the crime. A passerby found the two men on a somewhat isolated stretch of road next to the 99 Freeway that is sheltered from nearby homes by a high sound barrier.

Adding to the complications, investigators have had great difficulty interviewing Atwal, the hospitalized victim, because he was so badly injured that he is physically unable to speak.

“We’re basically having to rely on head nods,” said Officer Christopher Trim.

Police have few leads for now, but they are looking for a tan or light brown 1999 to 2003 Ford F150 pickup truck seen driving near the crime scene immediately after the shooting.

Detectives urged anyone with more information to call the Elk Grove Police Department at (916) 714-5115.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/03/sacramento-area-sikhs-offer-30000-reward-in-shooting-of-elderly-men.html

Apparently a Muslim group is offering $5000 for the shooter's arrest too...? Is that correct? I don't like making assumptions, but if that's true then MAYBE that Muslim group had something to do with it and are now trying to look innocent by offering a reward for their arrest..... huh.gif

this is so sad and it happened it california where you think people would be more aware of diversity. i live in a total white dominated area.. went to a total gora school for the most part it was okay but its scary to see so much hate in some people. its makes you wonder how they can live with themselves like that.

R.I.P :(

Apparently a Muslim group is offering $5000 for the shooter's arrest too...? Is that correct? I don't like making assumptions, but if that's true then MAYBE that Muslim group had something to do with it and are now trying to look innocent by offering a reward for their arrest..... huh.gif

No, maybe in the UK, not in the states. Also no need to speculate.

this comment shouldn't be here but i am still going to say it because i really want to. why is there so much hate for muslims among uk sikhs. this guy i was talking to got really mad because i asked a simple question about muslims in uk because he said he didnt want to talk about them it spoils his mood.. if we cant stand up for other minorities and unite then how can we expect the hate crimes to stop against us.

on facebook some guy commented on muslims offering money and said that muslims need to stop making it look like they care...and this created a whole fight when another muslim friend got offended by the statements he made..

hate creates hate we need to understand that.

our elders will keep suffering the wrath its us that need to step up.

i know stopping racism isnt as easy as saying.. hello...accept us sikhs... or its not about teaching people that "we are sikh not muslim" its about teaching people that we are sikh and muslim arent terrorist they are people just like they are. i met, know racist people its not easy to change them but situation could be made so much better with awareness... not of just who sikhs are but accepting diversity and not labelling!!

if we cant stop labelling people or hating them for who they are then how can we accept people to accept who we are.

this comment shouldn't be here but i am still going to say it because i really want to. why is there so much hate for muslims among uk sikhs. this guy i was talking to got really mad because i asked a simple question about muslims in uk because he said he didnt want to talk about them it spoils his mood.. if we cant stand up for other minorities and unite then how can we expect the hate crimes to stop against us.

on facebook some guy commented on muslims offering money and said that muslims need to stop making it look like they care...and this created a whole fight when another muslim friend got offended by the statements he made..

hate creates hate we need to understand that.

our elders will keep suffering the wrath its us that need to step up.

i know stopping racism isnt as easy as saying.. hello...accept us sikhs... or its not about teaching people that "we are sikh not muslim" its about teaching people that we are sikh and muslim arent terrorist they are people just like they are. i met, know racist people its not easy to change them but situation could be made so much better with awareness... not of just who sikhs are but accepting diversity and not labelling!!

if we cant stop labelling people or hating them for who they are then how can we accept people to accept who we are.

So true, i think part of the reason why people think like that is because there is a higher occurrence of extremism, hate, and predatoring of people of other religions by people who claim to be Muslim/representing Islam in the UK. The truth is not all people who follow Islam are like that so what you say holds true.