when listening to keertan

sskhalsa

- Does everyone tie patka/ dastaar when listening or singing keertan through the computer, cds, tapes, etc.?

- does anyone sit cross legged while listening? is their some tpye of etiqutte for when listening and singing too keertan mp3s and such

just wonderin :T:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

currently WinAmpinG:

Bhai Jasbeer Singh (Khaney Wale) - Toronto 2004 - 33:48 of 70:30

ANIK RAAJ BHOG RAASS MAANEE

NAO JAPEE BHURVAASA THAERAA

B) well it is very rare i listen to keertan online...however i do listen to Katha/Viakhya and Gurbani Ucharan sometimes or read Gurbani online.

whenever i do that...offcourse the head should be covered with Dastaar. or a cloth atleast...maybe keski or some parna which you can roll around. secondly, i take of my shoes...and like sit strait. i don't sit cross-legged on the chair-seat, but i do cross my legs down...if you get what i mean. i don't know if that is etiqutte, but kind of habit to sit cross legged..like on a chair.

when you are listening to Keertan i believe similar 'rule' should be applied. as it is also Gurbani you are listening too. fold your hands. try not to touch the mouse so much...and concentrate on what your are listening. :wub: i guess that is it.

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

cover your head. and make sure you arent sitting higher than where the keertan is coming from and that you aren't directing your feet to where the keertan/gurbani is coming from.

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

bravekhalsa jee, put a kapra or pillow or something under the speakers....problem solved. i heard in katha once that its disrespectful to have a tape or anything playing gurbani on the ground or lower than you....well it should be common sense anyways i guess.

bhul chuk maaf

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

somewhere in gurbani - i am stupid and i don't have a good memory so i can't remember it - but somewhere in bani guru sahib has written that the mind is like a wild animal...

whatever you can do to get it in control, try to do that.

covering your head is a sign of respect... but a Gursikh always wears a dastaar / keski anyway so they don't need to be worried about having their head covered

But it's not necessary that you HAAAAVE to cross your legs especially if you're at home...

try to do whatever is in your power to put your mind in control so the keertan you're listening to actually hits your heart and soul. pray.gif

i know that guru sahib has said hanging upside down, doing yoga, not eating, these types of things will NOT get you union with God .. but guru sahib HAS said that sometimes you need a push and then you can develop a discipline ^_^

even kirtan, waheguru gurmantr jaap - these are also just preparations for union - the real union comes by guru's kirpa and from immense love for waheguru ...

some mahaan gursikhs like sant baba eishar singh jee nanaksar valay and bhai sahib bhai randhir singh jee and many others have been seen doing very strange things just to get their mind attached ohmy.gif

once your mind is distracted from the world and attracted to gurbani

Then you can stop those external behaviours and just concentrate rolleyes.gif

once your mind is "juR gyaa" then some people can do regular daily activities but their mind will still be on God 100% - this phenomenon is explained in gurbani with the conversation between bhagat trilochan and bhagat nam dev. bhagat trilochan asks bhagat nam dev jee why he is attached to the world and still doing work. bhagat nam dev jee replies that he has to do work but while he does it he is fully concentrated on naam simran. :wub:

of course when we're in sangat then we should try to do whatever we can to make our mind focus on the kirtan without disturbing the rest of the sangat (for example it would not be wise to stand on your head during a kirtan darbar at the gurdwara sahib) :TH:

sorry for going off topic ... my mind is aaaalwaysss distracted

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

^_^ Thanks for the post Khalsapreet Ji.

Guys...it is my luck i have speakers at the desk...so it is no problem there. anyway my harddisk is like down besides my legs. and sometimes i just sit with my feet towards that. it just happens, not intended...i mean that is where Gurbani is stored...so :wub: should that also be taken care of? ie keeping the harddisk on the desk or something....