Visakhi Dinner And Dance - Does Not Look Right

lotaya

What harvest? LOL How many of the people probably who are going to attend that function have done any farming in their life...its jsut an accuse to get <Edited> and eye up some kuriya...

That was probably what Vasaikhi was like prior to 1699? I'm messing (partially).

You know how people get with their caste identity, it doesn't matter if they can't farm to save their mother's life.

I remember years ago, when apnay (and Muslims too) would hold massive 'Vasaikhi gigs' complete with lingerie clad dancing girls in top night clubs in the UK. These events were big money makers for everyone who organised them, including the club who sold truck loads of booze to alcohol hungry Panjabis (who know what our lot can be like!)

I hope things have improved a bit since then.

They may be celebrating the peasant harvest festival as opposed to the Khalsa formation?

I know your a staunch anti jatt,but the word peasant is offensive - in the eyes of the Bhaman your all peasants myself included ,without the harvest Panjab would have no food ,the event is not even organised by those who you call peasants ,my local ramgharia gurdwara is having a similar one

You know basakhi has always been the most important and joyful time of the year for the farmers and farm workers in punjab.....long before Sikhi......For Muslim, Hindu and Sikhs. Important and joyful for wider society also because it mean't food on everyone's table for the coming year. Lets not forget also, that bhangra itself has its foundation on this day......As it was on basakhi that gangs of mirasis and baazigars would visit rural punjab and perform songs and dances for the joyful farmers. Now....of course the Sikhi aspect is the most important aspect for us now but you really can't go around calling Sikhs from rural backgrounds 'peasants' and accusing them of having no connection with the rural land back home. The fact of the matter is, for most of the sikhs of a jatt background in the UK, despite being born in the UK, the rural land their family own back in Punjab is quite probably the most valuable thing they own....Far more expensive than their homes in the UK, with rural farmland in the Jalandhar district of Punjab being THE most expensive on earth......at least 9 or 11 times more expensive than the UK, which itself is considered expensive in world terms.

I sometimes get the feeling that Sikhs that come from urban backgrounds in Punjab have this misguided notion of 'poor peasants' whenever they think of rural Punjab...and thus understand neither the true value nor the deep attachment that the rural sikhs have to their land. They've been celebrating basakhi for thousands of years. It really won't do to call them 'peasants' now for doing so.

I think dalsingh is just using a term which a few academics have used to describe people who worked the land , i.e farmers. I dont think it has been used in a derogatory or sinister way. Many have used the term peasents in connection with many great sikh acheivements especailly in warfare, how the peasents used agricultural tools as weapons to fight and win. As in medieval times there was generally feudal system so terms like peasent were used that dont mean they were like peasent literally meaning really poor as many where much worse off, terms such as scavangers have also been used by academics/historians on sikhi and punjab to describe certain people.

Well then would Dal Singh also refer to the Duke of Cornwall as a 'peasant'....for he is the owner of agricultural land which is cultivated by farm hands from what society sees as the 'lower classes' ? Is the Marquis of Bath also a peasant ?

Explain to me then how the zamindars...or landowners of some of the most expensive land in the world can be classed as 'peasants', especially as you use the 'medieval' interpretation as justification when it is in fact the medieval interpretation that would draw the clearer distinction between the farm labourers and the actual landowners they worked for.

You can't. You can't because dal singh has shown time and again here how the things he says are motivated by blind ignorance of and prejudice of...rural jatt sikhs.