Sri Chand

Singh559

Guru Hargobind sahib ji gave their elder son Baba Gurdita ji to Baba sri Chand ji who became the second jathedar of udasin sikhs and started four different akhare and send them in four directions which later grew to 18 udasin akharas.

For Baba Gurdita ji this quote is often used "Din duni da tika jo vaar mangeya so vaar dita" Kavi raj Bhai Santokh singh ji records that Guru Hargobind sahib ji choose baba Gurdita ji for being the next guru due to their hardship and talked about it with mata Nanaki ji and did future bachans that time will come when guru Tegh bahadar sahib will also be guru.

Such a ageyakari son was given to baba Sri Chand ji.

The confusion regarding udasins and baba ji starts when parallel guru ship started in sikh panth. Deermaal, Ram rai Gulab singh etc. They all claimed to be gurus and for many years they even had a much larger sikh sangat then sikh gurus. So these udasins were also divided Some akhare were in support of ramrai dheermal etc and did their parchar as guru. Some remained with guru sahib they even fought along side guru sahib at anadpur sahib. And then guru sahib did a bachan "Udasin da beej reh geya sikhan wich" that means udasin will always flourish among sikhs but in small number.

Another most imp event related to gurus and udasin relation is when guru sahib left anandpur sahib they themself gave the seva sambhal of anandpur sahib to an udasin sadhu named baba Gurbaksh Ram who was later beaten to death Gulab Singh and his followers when he controlled anandpur sahib and projected himself as Guru.

This was the first account of udasin taking care of sikh gurudwaras which was followed for years till gurdwara sudhar leahr.

And later the Anandpur sahib resolution has this resolution as well to bring back all the udasins back in mainstream sikhi.

One more misconception by looking at pictures of baba ji is that they didnt kept beard. When baba ji was a child there person who used to play with them in punjabi we call them "khdaven" they keep babies busy by playing with them said to baba ji that while holding them in their arms that you are growing up and soon you will be a young man with other friend and you will forget me. Then baba ji replied dont worry i will never grow up and at that age baba jis physical growth stopped.

Here is aarta of Guru Nanak dev ji written by baba ji.

I understand what you mean by the Shabad but 'I' see it as Baba Sri Chand Ji chose a different path to that of Guru Ji, right or wrong I can't comment but even though they chose not to follow in Guru Ji's footsteps they were still loved and highly respected by all Guru Sahib's.

BhenJi, Guru Ji chose this path for Baba Sri Chand himself. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was the original Udasi. The first to perform Udasis over the world. He gave the mission of continuing these Udasis for parchar to Baba Sri Chand. Baba Sri Chand could not and did not choose a different path to his guru, Guru Nanak. Remember that, Baba Sri Chand's guru was Guru Nanak. No-one else.

BhenJi, Guru Ji chose this path for Baba Sri Chand himself. Guru Nanak Dev Ji was the original Udasi. The first to perform Udasis over the world. He gave the mission of continuing these Udasis for parchar to Baba Sri Chand. Baba Sri Chand could not and did not choose a different path to his guru, Guru Nanak. Remember that, Baba Sri Chand's guru was Guru Nanak. No-one else.

Thank you for the info and clearing that up :) I was referring to Baba Ji and the Gurgaddi after Guru Nanak Dev Ji but what you say makes total sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info and clearing that up :) I was referring to Baba Ji and the Gurgaddi after Guru Nanak Dev Ji but what you say makes total sense.

Baba Sri Chand accepted Guru ji's hukam of girgaddi to Bhai Lehna and also Guru ji's hukam of carrying out the parchaar in udasi style of Guru Nanak. After Gurgaddi was given Baba Sri Chand went off to continue the mission of Guru Nanak Dev Ji. To think that he purposely avoided Guru's Darbar is just silly.

Baba Sri Chand has a part in SIkh history but should not be worshipped as a Guru as many western Goray Sikhs do they even have a statue of him which they mata tekh to idolatry anyone

So we should respect all sages and saints but worship as a true Sikh like the goray Sikhs are doing is out of the question

LIke they say give them an inch they take a yard

• 10 months later...

Baba Sri Chand has a part in SIkh history but should not be worshipped as a Guru as many western Goray Sikhs do they even have a statue of him which they mata tekh to idolatry anyone

I think the 3ho do this as they consider him as a perfect yoga-ist (if that is a word, and if it isnt make sure im credited for its creation), and as yoga is an imortant part of their lives or daily routine, they look upto Baba Sri Chand more than others. But doing matha to a statue isnt something that a Sikh should do.

from DT website:

At the age of 13 years he also mastered the Sanskrit language, he read Ramayan, Mahabharat, Yoga Vishest and other Vedic Granths.

From what i have read and heard from, Udasi Sants, there was a Udasi Sant in either Sant Ji's village or an adjoiing village, which is when he learnt the Sanskrit granths.

I cannot remember the book, but i will go through my books again when i get time.