What You Like Or Dislike About Our Community?

N30S1NGH

I started this topic on sikhawareness, it was well received with loads of great ideas...just wanted to know what sangat thinks here on sikhsangat.

What you like or dislike about our community??

Here I will start off-

Like- Seva spirit(serving whole humanity) with langar/food/donations/charities, very hard working and successful community, Awareness of self defense among youths, youth initiative to take control of gurdwaras from old corrupt committees, hold sikhi camps, seminar on social activism, parchar on human right abuses, huge step in online parchar of sikhism for westerners, loads of parchar of sikhi in English, pro active role in online community/social media sites.

Dislike(Areas of improvement) - Lack of chanting of Vahiguroo or Mool Mantra in Gurdwaras, Lack of understanding of Sikh theology ie- mysticism, spirituality, self awareness; lack of awareness of eating healthy, exercise/yoga; lack of unity-lack of coordination efforts from Sri Akaal Takth Sahib, caste issues, lack of acknowledgement of issues of fanaticism among youths, lack of any support for social victims(marriage abuse), lack of any spiritual support for people affected by spirits, dirty punjab poltics in Gurdwaras Committees, Sangat lack an courtesy/discipline in Gurdwara , comrade type mindset creeping to people, back bitting, jealously.

Please discuss!!

I am not judging or condemning these men individually but I don't like the trend and concept of trim bearded turban wearers. Unless they are keeping their kesh on their head for spiritual reasons and are working towards growing their beards, I would much prefer it if they got rid of their turbans and cut their hair altogether. I think this trend is ruining sikhi. It makes it seem as if its the right thing to do. Wear a turban but trim your beard.

Again, don't think I am hating on them, I dont like the trend but i am in no way judging them. My own brother is a trimmer but turban wearer.

Guest RavindaSingh

I am not judging or condemning these men individually but I don't like the trend and concept of trim bearded turban wearers. Unless they are keeping their kesh on their head for spiritual reasons and are working towards growing their beards, I would much prefer it if they got rid of their turbans and cut their hair altogether. I think this trend is ruining sikhi. It makes it seem as if its the right thing to do. Wear a turban but trim your beard.

Again, don't think I am hating on them, I dont like the trend but i am in no way judging them. My own brother is a trimmer but turban wearer.

bruv wen i started gettin into sikhi and was growin kesh and beard i questioned friends who did this and i think its there own path however they must not be idiots as such cos i see alotta sikhs in uni with kesh who act like bhandars and make a mockery whilst wearing a dastaar but jus keep up naam and help urself help others and all other thoughts will go :D

Envy amongst our people (and Asians in general) is - speaking from personal experience - a trait I detest with vigour. But the way it manifests itself amongst Sikhs, and the lengths people go to in order to ruin other's lives is just utterly terrifying.

What makes me laugh (not) is how on one hand we espouse 'sarbat da bhalla' but in reality (as your post alludes), we frequently don't even have bhalla towards each other let alone the sarbat.

lol

bruv wen i started gettin into sikhi and was growin kesh and beard i questioned friends who did this and i think its there own path however they must not be idiots as such cos i see alotta sikhs in uni with kesh who act like bhandars and make a mockery whilst wearing a dastaar but jus keep up naam and help urself help others and all other thoughts will go :D

Yeah, I see what you mean.

If trim bearded turban wearers are keeping their kesh for what it is and not just as some tradition then its all good but I have a feeling that this is not usually the case from what i've heard about their views (from themselves) and how they act. It seems like a cultural thing to them rather than spiritual. I feel this trend damages sikhi in that people think its ok and even the thing to do, seeing it as 'progressive and modern'.

Guest RavindaSingh

Yeah, I see what you mean.

If trim bearded turban wearers are keeping their kesh for what it is and not just as some tradition then its all good but I have a feeling that this is not usually the case from what i've heard about their views (from themselves) and how they act. It seems like a cultural thing to them rather than spiritual. I feel this trend damages sikhi in that people think its ok and even the thing to do, seeing it as 'progressive and modern'.

probs cos they ent had kirpa to be taught of how sacred kesh is and there parents didnt teach them....i feel that it messes up the sikhi roop aswell cause i was automatically asked from a friend of a flatmate that how much do i drink i was like <banned word filter activated> mate we ent all fools some of us do have morals hopefully these sikhs will get some form of kripa from Guru Maharaj and maybe keep their darree aswell but i think alotta sikhs lose it when goin to uni im only 1st yr but i see sikhs with there hair out on a regular basis and tbh i think its disgraceful they need to be helped man :sad2:

Like: Shaarda to do sewa (example: kar sewa of Sri Darbar Sahib sarovar in 2004 - completed days before its deadline).

Dislike: Lack of Sikh history knowledge. There is no program which provides opportunity for youth to learn our precious young religious, cultural and political history. Youth in the west are stuck in 1980's period and do not make effort nor they like to go beyond 80's. Majority do not read books nor try to learn on their own because of laziness.

One good example: No school in India got any concrete school subject nor any syllabus which got any of our history, despite the fact that 80% of our population lives in Punjab.