Letter From Mata Upkar Kaur Bhullar( Mother Of Prof. Dps Bhullar)

LETTER FROM MATA UPKAR KAUR BHULLAR( mother of Prof. DPS Bhullar) TO CM PUNJAB PARKASH SINGH BADAL

Although Mata Upkar Kaur Bhullar Jee is making desperate efforts to save her sons life, she rightlly exposes badals false concern and details how he is playing a double role.

Respected Badal Sahib,

I, Upkar Kaur, mother of Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar, am writing this letter to you to convey my gratitude to you for taking a stand for seeking commutation of death sentence awarded to my son Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar death sentence into life imprisonment. Infact I have no doubt that your personal knowledge about my son is very limited but even then you have sought clemency for him for which I am ever grateful. However, I would like you to know the reasons behind my son going underground and getting into militancy.

My son obtained his degree in Mechanical Engineering from Guru Nanak Engineering College, Ludhianawith good marks. He got a job in the same college where he started teaching Diploma class students. He lived at Mohali with his uncle (Massi's husband) Sh. Manjit Singh Sohi, who was a RBI Officer working with NABARD. On 12-12-1991, his uncle's house was raided by Chandigarh Police in the case of bomb blast on the car of the then Sr. SP Chandigarh, Sumedh Singh Saini. One old class fellow and friend of my son, Balwant Singh Multani was wanted in that case. Due to this sudden police action, my son fled and went underground due to panic. Chandigarh Police picked up my husband S. Balwant Singh, a gazetted Punjab Government employee who had spent more than thirty years of unblemished service in the Local Funds Audit Department of Punjab Government. They picked me up also. I too was a gazetted officer with the Rural Development & Panchayat Department of Punjab Government with more than 30 years of service. His uncle (massi's husband) S. Manjit Singh Sohi who was an officer with the Reserve Bank of India at Mohali too was picked up.

My husband and brother-in-law were brutally tortured by Chandigarh Police and kept in illegal detention. After a few days, I was released but My husband and brother-in-law were continued in illegal custody. My husband succeeded in sending two letters to the family from the illegal custody of Chandigarh Police in which he explained his condition in detail. Later we learnt from some sources in Chandigarh Police that my husband and brother-in-law, though totally innocent, were killed in cold blood after prolonged detention by Chandigarh Police on directions of Sumedh Singh Saini. Not only that, Balwant Singh Multani s/o S. Darshan Singh Multani (IAS now retd. then serving), who was arrested, was shown as escaped in Punjab and killed in a fake encounter. I, myself, remained in hiding till 1995 due to fear and police pressure and then went to America. My son remained underground and was helped in getting shelter from militant sympathizers groups as no one else was willing to help. The deaths of my husband and brother-in-law, both Government employees, went unnoticed and unprobed inspite of best efforts of our family. For nearly 20 years, these issues were kept concealed and did not come to light.

However, S. Darshan Singh Multani i.e. Balwant Singh Multani's father questioned the stand of Chandigarh Police before the Hon'ble High Court that his son was a Proclaimed Offender in a proceedings in the Hon'ble High Court at Chandigarh. He maintained before the Hon'ble High Court that his son Balwant Singh was shown as escaped from custody of Chandigarh Police and declared P. O. but was in fact killed in a fake encounter. The Hon'ble High Court on his request entrusted the enquiry into the issue by CBI who after prolonged enquiry of nine months confirmed that the charges of killing of Balwant Singh Multani as well as my husband and brother-in-law by Chandigarh Police were correct. The CBI after recording adequate evidence, registered FIR for kidnapping with the intention to commit murder and keeping persons in illegal detention against Sumedh Singh Saini and other members of Chandigarh Police. CBI also made it clear that it had not registered the FIR on directions of the Punjab and Haryana High Court but on its own as there was enough evidence.

However, the Punjab Govt., in order to protect and shield Saini filed SLP in the Hon'ble Supreme Court, engaged the best legal help and obtained a stay against the investigation by CBI. Three years have passed and with help from Punjab Govt. and spending huge amount of public money, the accused persons have been able to suppress the facts that the extra-judicial murder of my husband and brother-in-law does not come to light and continues without probe. Your Government has played this entire role to shield the killers of my husband and brother-in-law who were totally innocent and had no link with militancy.

Badal Sahib, this fact brings us to the question of your seeking a pardon for my son. On one hand, you are writing to the PM and others seeking commutation of my son's death sentence and on the other hand your government is actively shielding the Police Officers who killed my husband and brother-in-law and thus, denying me justice even to get my husband and brother-in-law's death probed by CBI. You cannot help both sides in this matter as either Saini is guilty or my son is guilty. If my son is branded as a terrorist and ordered to be hanged, why is the case of direct murder of three innocent persons by Saini not even being subjected to investigation? Why should you have these double standards? Is Saini who got them and many other innocents killed in cold blood any less than a terrorist? Does my family, my brother-in-law's family, S. Multani's family and dozens of other families not deserve justice only because Saini enjoys your confidence and patronage and is at your beck and call to fix your political rivals whenever required by you? Seeing your unfair stand, I am requesting you not to seek any favour or relief for my son till you show your moral courage to take action against Saini for killing my husband and brother-in-law in cold blood. I have no doubt that as long as the state patronizes killer officers, more and more terrorists would be born who would, like my son, fight your system as well as against its injustice and dual standards as they are left with no other choice.

I am sorry for hurting your feelings but please stop this double-speak and avoid seeking any favour for my son. I would like this letter to be shown to maximum number of my countrymen so that they become aware of the manner in which terrorists are created by our own political system as ruling groups have no courage to dispense justice.

With warm regards,

Yours faithfully,

(Mrs. Upkar Kaur)

(mother of Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar)

Dear Brothers & Sisters,

Every word written above is true. I seek your help and co-operation in my fight to get justice by getting murders of my husband, brother-in-law and other innocents investigated by CBI. Please respond and convey your views.

With expectations of help,

I remain,

Yours faithfully,

Mrs. Upkar Kaur

(mother of Davinder Pal Singh Bhullar)