Gatka Akharas Lineages

Guru_Da_Chella

Here's our shastar vidya lineage.

7. Akali Nihang Baba Giana Singh aka 'Rabb Ji'

established 1985? lol how "puraatan" :respect: :lol2:

If you read the whole poster it says "Established 1985...........under direct guidance of Jathedar of Ranjit Akhara, Jathedar Baba Gian Singh 'Giana Rab'".

Is that the same person? Reason I ask is because wasn't the shastar vidya akhara known as Ranjit akara?

If you read the whole poster it says "Established 1985...........under direct guidance of Jathedar of Ranjit Akhara, Jathedar Baba Gian Singh 'Giana Rab'".

Is that the same person? Reason I ask is because wasn't the shastar vidya akhara known as Ranjit akara?

under direct guidance but established 1985, interesting, but it doesn't really claim descent from Ranjit Akhara?

The founder of Ajit Akhara did actually learn from Baba Gyan Singh, but only for a short period of a few weeks at most. The successor to Baba Gyan Singh who took away the Sampooran Vidiya was the Gurdev of Nihang Niddar Singh, Akali Mohinder Singh.

Dont be fooled by the rebranding of Gatka to Shastarvidiya, and the claim that the Ajit Akhara has the same vidiya as the Baba Darbara Singh Akhara. It is just repackaged Gatka with Nihang elements taken away from influences from Niddar Singh, the Jangi Bana, Shastar Parkash, Jangi Kareh etc

These things can be copied easily, however the art itself is what sets aside the differences. There is nothing more Nihang Niddar Singh would like is another master of Shastarvidiya to still be alive, it would only help towards keeping this tradition alive.

Guru Da Chella, in my background if some one can't give the lineage, then you have to assume...... Gatka is and always will be the illegitimate child of shastar vidya, extremely bad child. So what do you call a Gatka person, who is shamed of telling his lineage, you got it one. By the way a lot of the Gatka guys in UK learnt from Namdev in Germany. He's a gora singh, but been a singh for over 30 years. Funny thing is he now studies under Gurudev Niddar Singhji.

Here's our shastar vidya lineage. :fight:

1. aba Darbara Singh (who also learned from Akali Nihang Guru Gobind Singh Ji)

2. Akali Nihang Baba Budh Singh Ji

3. Akali Nihang Baba Sukha Singh Ji

4. Akali Nihang Baba Lakha Singh Jie

5. Akali Nihang Baba Sawan Singh 'Bangroo'

6. Akali Nihang Baba Mangal Singh Ji

7. Akali Nihang Baba Giana Singh aka 'Rabb Ji'

8. Akali Nihang Baba Mohinder Singh Ji aka 'Katapa Singh'

9. Nihang Niddar Singh Ji (present 'Gurdev')

Genius you do Gatka I apologise if I said anything wrong, if you can give me your real gatka lineage? Also the nihung singh's you keep on going on about who know the real stuff, you must know there lineage?

Before starting any vidya in traditional akara the Gurudev states all his Guru's, you have to show respect to the ancestors.

Thank u.

Jai Hind!

Dear Ekraj -

Would it be possible that you could explain what "jai hind" means.

I am learning Gatka and i would like to find out what do historical texts such as Sooraj Prakash and Twareek GurKhalsa say about the history of Gatka.

Here is what Twarikh Guru Khalsa states in the Bhoomika (Preface) of the Granth.

‘There was talk of such a science of archery and stick fighting only a few years ago in the Punjab that listening of it the English-educated young men will consider it astonishing. In sincerity I believe present day young men might just consider these skills and Shastar Vidiya most likely impossible, because they have not even seen those bows never mind stringing them. Li...ke this, many sciences and skills after attaining their heights have declined. Before 1857 many quivers full of arrows, matchlocks, flintlock guns, swords, lances, spears, Sang (long metal lance), Kata’s (punch daggers], Peshkabz [armour-piercing Afghan dagger), pistols, shields etc., weapons, armour and many types of chainmail was found house to house, and all the people in their homes learned and taught Shastar Vidiya and became complete soldiers.

Now no one even speaks of these skills the sons of brave warriors are becoming engrossed in making money, even to us who have employed Shastar Vidiya, it is becoming a dream. In another fifty years or so, this Vidiya would have dried up and people will say it (past skills) were but, all lies’

(‘Twarikh Guru Khalsa’, Giani Gian Singh Nirmala (1899) Vol.1, Pa. 36-37)

The quote appears more to be discussing the general degradation in the Sikhs rather than the decline in some secret art called Shastarvidya. Here Shastarvidya means knowledge of the use of weapons rather than the art which a factory worker from Birmingham claims to have discovered! The quote would be supportive of Niddar's hotch potch 'secret' art, if Gyani Gyan Singh actually referred to any of the techniques Niddar teaches or even if it referred to one of the many different names that Niddar has given his 'lost' art like Jhatka Gatka etc.

The quote appears more to be discussing the general degradation in the Sikhs rather than the decline in some secret art called Shastarvidya. Here Shastarvidya means knowledge of the use of weapons rather than the art which a factory worker from Birmingham claims to have discovered! The quote would be supportive of Niddar's hotch potch 'secret' art, if Gyani Gyan Singh actually referred to any of the techniques Niddar teaches or even if it referred to one of the many different names that Niddar has given his 'lost' art like Jhatka Gatka etc.

Mate you got your facts so wrong.

He's from Wolves. All the other stuff well I can't argue with.