Dastar D Protest And Bbc Radio Derby

Jasgobind

wjkk wjkf

i was listening to BBC radio derby who have done a special show about our Dastar Day awareness organised in London recently.

Representatives from our community explained the significance of Turban and what measures should be taken to prevent Sikhs from removing Turban at the airport.

I was shocked to hear the views of the audience, most of them could not understand why Sikhs are allowed to go through the airports in UK without turban screening,

so my question is that

have we started a negative reaction which might result in turban removal at the UK airports as well?

The screening is not the problem, nobody is against screening of the turban.

It is the removing and touching of the turban that we are against.

Hand held scanners and other devices can be used for screening.

The awareness day was not solely for airport issue but the importance of turban for Sikhs in general.

wow, another newbie with an anti dastar day view. listen, its over, get a life and get over it.

it has been said by my self and many others who attended, that the amount of support we received from the general public was outstanding. people were driving by giving us the thumbs up, and many many supported our views.

if anything there may be a need for another dastar awareness day in derby.

so my question is that

have we started a negative reaction which might result in turban removal at the UK airports as well?

One can say we started a negative reaction the moment our Grandparents came into the Uk 50 years ago!

In reality, was it really only about airport screening or was it about raising awareness that we are a united integrated community with strong cultural values living in the UK. We can't keep on living in quatantine communities hoping we're not picked up on the bigot's radar?

We are in very difficult times, people are unemployed, there is recession and general unhappiness. We are seen as easy targets because we look different. In addition we are tolerant to all. We are victims because we have this mentality that we should not make a fuss, just walk away and stay quiet.

The older generation of goray knew about sikhs and had respect because there fathers/grandfathers fought alongside the sikhs in the world wars and they also knew of the sikhs from the British Empire.

Unfortunately, the new generation of goray do not know about the sikh contribution to Britain and of our high character. Even our own sikh kids do not know this. So its inevitable that we are getting this reaction.

We can not live in isolation, we have to get out and create awareness, there should be more awareness days, not just for dastaar but also parchaar of sikhi. We have to make our own people proud of sikhi but we also have to tell the english people. Our elders did not do this and I'm not blaming but stating the obvious. They did a lot , but there is still a lot more to do.

If we have created topics that are being discussed on radio talk shows that is a good thing as it allows us to put our side forward. There is always a positive and negative view. Chardi Kala is a concept unique to siki. Always look for the positive or try to turn it into a positive.