Self Defence

Big_Tera

I was involved in an arguement with a couple of white teenage yobs after finshing work. It was over something silly. And it got out of hand the youth/s then became quite aggresive and wanted to fight me.

I walked away from this fight as at the time. I thought it wasnt worth getting int trouble with the police or fighting some low life hoodie thug.

I also thought the youths may have had knives on them. what with all the teenage knife culture and also the fact there was 2 against 1.

But now i feel quite bad as I feel i should have stood my ground and confronted the youth, It has left me quite a little shaken up. Because of the thought they could have had weapons on them. But I guess sometimes one cannot just walk away from these things as anger and agression takes over. I was quite close to beating this thug up. But he was much younger then me also.

I just dont know if I did the right thing by walking away from it. Its quite strange as this is the first time ive had any confrontations with a white persons before. As the area I live in is predominantly asian and black..

Well they asked me for a light . When I said I didnt smoke the boy kind of laughed at me. This just made me angry and it ended up in an arguement, i wasnt really in the best of moods at the time. Im a mona so It was not really against Sikhi, as they didnt know what religion I was .

I actually now feel like giving the guy a good hiding the next time I see him as I feel very angry about the whole incident.

Take everything as a learning experience, in most occaisions these situations will wake you up to the reality of whether you can defend yourself or not.

The first strategy is to always avoid or circumvent violence, if this is not possible then you should attempt to calm down the situation as opposed to aggrevate it. You should have told the boy that "sorry I dont smoke" and carry on walking on, the fact that you was affected by his laugh shows how easily you can be wound up, however it is a good thing that you never took it to actual physical fighting.

The only thing that brings people into an arguement or fighting is their ego complex, so what if he laughed, so what if he said anything, carry on walking and see them as children with limited intelligence. The only real time to react is when physical danger is imminent.

Not only do you have to look out for your own wellbeing, you need to look out for the laws of the land. It is not worth being arrested/beaten up/stabbed over the fact that someone laughed at you.

Fighting in todays society is not simple, especially when your fighting in your own area where people will see you regularly, the last thing you want is an ongoing vendetta where it is <banned word filter activated> for tat attacks just because one of you got upset over a small thing.

Move on, stay safe, be aware.

The fact that you are a mona is no excuse to engage in useless arguements, the aim of Gurmat is to control your vices and senses, this applies to everyone regardless of whether they are moneh, keshdhari, or amritdhari.

Reflect on the situation and think how you could have managed it better, what could have gone wrong, what you should have done and the possible outcomes of each decision. Meditation on this is one of the keys to Self Defence. Anyone can throw a punch, but the important thing is to know when to fight and what you are fighting for.

There is no shame in walking away from confrontation, you must first access your own ability and the ability of your opponent(s), if you cannot take them then why fight? Fighting and losing is only half a strategy.

Thanks for the comments regarding this.

Well I just think in todays society we let kids get away with far to much hence there is so much anti social behaviour out there. If one keeps walking away from confrontations then one will ultimatley become a weak character. But in this case I'm sure i did the right thing by walking away. Im not an agressive person but i do get quite angry when im pushed in a corner. But yeh i shouldnt have let this get to me but it was because I was already in a bad mood at the time.

I did not esculate it further even though I could have taken these boys on easily im 25 and these were 17 yr olds. But I decided to walk away from the fight as there was two of them and these yobish goreh types are very cowardly fighters and could have took a knife out on me very easily, if they they started losing th fight. Most of these yobs are always tooled up. And Also being a hard working member of society it was not worth getting in a fight it over these low lifes.

I think its been in the news quite alot of late of Sikhs and asians in general being killed/attacked by white and black yobs in birmingham and also in london.

These people are very low down people and dont care about their lifes hence they are very dangerous. But Im sure this person will think twice about his actions as I did rough him up a little.

The incident did not happen where i live thankfully. But it did make me think about doing some extra ours in the gym. As you never know when your going to end up in a fight.

Bhai Saab,

My farther has always tought us from a young age that you can have a fight\argue with every person on the street.

Walking away is the best policy, however if someone comes at you forcefully, you have no choice But to defend yourself.

Our instructor has always taught us the same. He advises that although I do teach you self defence, these days its much wiser to walk away.

Guru Maharaj also says if we do nothing about it, we are even a bigger pappi then the person attacking us.

There' s a brand out at the moment publicising the same - "Keep Calm and Carry on".

Bhai Saab, just naam Jap as much as you can, that in itself protects you and keeps you calm - Saas Saas Simro.

Pull Chk Maaf..... :waheguru:

In addition i could have well and truly pasted this boy. But then you have to think of the risks also. ie knife crime is very common these days especially among this age group. Hence in my opinion we should try and avoid these situations as much as possible and I would advise to others who may end up in a similar scenerio to do the same.

But each situation should be judged on its merits. In some situations self defence and using reasonable force is the only option.

I think also that this was kind of race related. I just hate racist people.

It's good you walked away, if they wern't attacking you physically theres no reason to attack them back. Even if they were atatcking you physically there is no shame in running away. We're here to overcomecome the 5 thieves i.e lust, anger, greed, ego, envy, attachment etc. When you get angry at someone it's just your ego playing up and attaching you to that person enough to give them a thumping(the thieves/maya at work). The Gurus were calm and collected, even when being tortured- burned alive by by moro*ns and jesus was calm when he was being nailed alive to a cross, he said 'God forgive the fools for they know not what they do'. There was no hint of anger(maya).

If one thinks they could not gave gotten up at any point and annhilated their enemies they are seriously mistaken- they were all powerful- The realised Gods in form.

They are our greatest examples of living in Truth 24/7. We need to accept moro*ns for who they are, God's hukam has called for them to be ignorant for the moment so just let the game continue, they deserve to be arrogant and deluded for now, they have not humbled themselves enough to hear you speak the truth to them.

If we are in mortal danger on the other hand then by all means fightback, but keep the thieves at bay(silence the mind through the naam simran i.e attunement to truth frequency).

Truth is simple- It is Nothing- it is all pervading- God has humbly accepted this and lives in it 24/7 as do our SatGurus etc.

Nothing is the Only treasure and is all powerful and all pervading. Remember that 24/7 and what in the world is there for you to ever get angry at again?

Choosing Nothing over everything is the answer.