Non Amritdhari Reading Guru Granth Sahib?

Papisingh

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

If a non-Amritdhari (hair cut) person does Paath at his home then it's nobody's concern.

But when we talk about Gurudwara and roll, as per Panthic Maryada the above Should Not.

In my opinion it sets a Bad Example for young generation,

Such Laxity will send a wrong message and others might follow.

Now if one really wants to, then please get the Minimum Qualification for doing such service !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

what has to be taken into account and understood is that where there is a small number of amritdhari sikhs, there should be no objection to non amritdhari sikhs flling that particular sewa. Of course it is maryada to have amritdharis for akhand paath sewa.

When i went to germany and vienna in 1990, i saw mone doing akhand paath sewa, and i asked my cousin about this, and he told me that in that area there werent enough amritdharis to do the sewa, so it was either do it this way, or leave it completely.

In the UK we had a similiar pattern here, but having a larger number of Sikhs we were eventually able to recover to having all amritdharis for akhand paath sewa.

Read Sant Gurbachan Singhs marayada of Sri Akhand Paath and you will see even now how many gurdwaras in UK are following full maryada.

It's funny because a person witth shorn hair can read guru granth sahib ji at home, what exactly is the difference?

The gyan is the Guru, not the paper.

Guru Ji confirms this with the gyan, that Bani is Guru and Guru in Bani, this is written within Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Your gutka at home is just as much guru as the gurbani in the gurdwarra.

Anyone is free to read and access gurbani, those who put barriers to read, and to even do kirtan upon those who have shorn hair, but do not even eat meat or drink and live the core of gurbani are fools.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

Difference is nobody can trespass into private property and enforce Sikh Code of Conduct.

But in Gurudwara, one has to follow certain RULES.

Agar tuhade peeo-dade ne Gurudwara building banai heh te hor gal heh :biggrin2:

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ki fateh

a gurdwara is bound by maryada...

the home of a mona is not...

simple.

in my opinion akhand path sahib should not be done if there are not amritdhari to do the seva.

It's funny because a person witth shorn hair can read guru granth sahib ji at home, what exactly is the difference?

The gyan is the Guru, not the paper.

Guru Ji confirms this with the gyan, that Bani is Guru and Guru in Bani, this is written within Guru Granth Sahib Ji.

Your gutka at home is just as much guru as the gurbani in the gurdwarra.

Anyone is free to read and access gurbani, those who put barriers to read, and to even do kirtan upon those who have shorn hair, but do not even eat meat or drink and live the core of gurbani are fools.

You are right anyone has the right to access Gurbani, but this access is restricted when a person does not follow the rehat Maryada that Satguru prescribed in order to read Gurbani during Akhand Paat or other duties at the Gurdwara. To sit on the palki of Maharaj without rehat is very disrespectful to Satguru Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Maharaj. A person that loves Maharaj will make sure the rehat maryada is followed before they step close to the palki of Maharaj. This has nothing to do with limiting or restricting people from Maharaj, but about keep Satkar (respect) for Maharaj.

A person can sit at home, who has shorn hair, and do kirtan or do paat all they like, but the Gurdwara has a rehat maryada that must be followed. If a person feels this is a restriction, then they should also complain why are Amritdharis only given the duty to give Amrit to others? Gursikhs are given duties at the Gurdwara due to their knowledge of Gurbani and ability to give proper respect to Maharaj. Gursikhs are not defined by Maharaj as those who cut their hair. As the Gurus added teachings to Sikhi from Satguru Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji Maharaj to Satguru Sri Guru Gobind SIngh Sahib ji Maharaj the maryada was increased and Sikhs obeyed to it. Those that didn't were not given certain duties.

Rehat Maryada is not the enemy, but a friend of the Sikh. Those that slander rehat are very unaware of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj Hukam:

Rehat is more dear to me (Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj) than the Sikh.

The onus is on the Sikh to rise up to the rehat maryada and not on the rehat to lower down to the Sikh.

Its all about pyare and those that use rehat to discriminate will get their punishment.

Before Lahore Singh Sabha movement, how many mahants were non-amrit dhari or udasi and did paat in Gurdwara?

If you want to go into history, then why look at a point, where the Singhs were not present at the Gudwaras, due to the circumstance at that time. Let's not forget that many manmat practices were brought into Gurdwaras when the Singhs were not present in Gurdwaras; at the time you are referring too. If you want to look at history then look after Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj gave Amrit to the Khalsa Panth and to the point of 1708.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to go into history, then why look at a point, where the Singhs were not present at the Gudwaras, due to the circumstance at that time. Let's not forget that many manmat practices were brought into Gurdwaras when the Singhs were not present in Gurdwaras; at the time you are referring too.

During this period which you are refering to did any Singhs at all every visit any gurdwaras? This is just a fable that has been created to say that the Udasis or non-khalsa sikhs brought in manmat to the gurdwaras, because of the absence of SInghs. The SInghs were always going to the gurdwaras from time to time. You make it seem like Dal Panth never entered a gurdwara for so many years/decades, and so the Udasi and Nirmale Sikhs, brought manmat in. Manmat only made it into gurdwaras after the time of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, when the british took over. The Singhs used to meet at Darbar Sahib twice a year even when there was bounty on thier heads. You think they would have tolerated any manmat from the Udasi or Nirmale Sikhs? I dont think so myself.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave the prabandh of Sri Anandpur Sahib to a Udasi Sikh, Bhai Gurbaksh.

a gurdwara is bound by maryada...

in my opinion akhand path sahib should not be done if there are not amritdhari to do the seva.

Yes also kirtan is bound by maryada as well. what if we said only those who can do kirtan in the correct tradition shown by our Gurus will be allowed to do kirtan in gurdwaras? how much kirtan would get done? Very little.

We bend the rules to do kirtan to help ourselves, and then complain if other rules are broken. How silly is that?

To the OP, take the right path, first go and talk to the Gurdwara committee and see what maryada is in place, and then whatever is conform to it if you sincerely wish to do this sewa. You never know, the marayda may not be strict enough for you!