Ski/Snowboard Trip + Dastaar

Jaggaa

Sangat Jee,

I need some suggestions/help on this dilemma i'm facing. I'm about to go on a Snowboard/ski trip very soon and i've always worn a standard Taksali single (sometimes keski underneath) kinda dastaar for a few years now and it's part of me, I can't change this.

My concern : I'm most likely going to fall a few times and I do not want my dastaar to get loose or fall off.

I don't tie it into my joora or anything like a Nihang style dastaar so I don't know how to secure it. I've been trying to tie a Nihang style dastaar over the last few days and although I do it (not a newbie to tying dastaars) it doesn't really feel that secure still? It feels like the top part (not the bunga only the dastaar layer) will just slide off or something.

People keep suggesting to go wear a patka or whatever, this is something I simply cannot do. So please Sangat Jee if you have some sort of suggestion or idea on what I can do then please suggest it to me. I'm not confortable with a really tall dastaar. It makes me look stupid to be honest and although it looks beutiful on others it's probably not my thing unless there was a technique or way to tie it a little lower (if you know what I mean).

Jagga

A bunga (keski tied into kes) can be small too, in fact I personally find that alot of times bungas tend to be more firm when they are smaller.

Use mal mal material as this sticks to the head more than the thicker material and is lighter so its much less likely to come off. I've messed about with mates, like wrestling, headlocks and stuff and my dastar has stayed on (a full dumalla with a bunga underneath).

Just tie what bhai amolak singh ties in this video. He ties his keski into his kes (a bunga), then another keski on top of that. It's small aswell. But make sure that if you are not going to tie any more material over this that the external keski you tie on top of the bunga has atleast five wraps/5 yards around the head (maryada). In the video below, the second keski bhai amaolak singh ties is smaller than that as he is going to tie a full dumalla over it. Hope you enjoy your trip!

You may want to try tying a 'fiftee' part way through the laars. Make sure you knot with Maybe tie multiple fiftees at a couple of intervals. Experiment with the fiftee being low enough. You can get this quite secure. Try it ahead of time so you know the max tightness without it being too tight. You can also add a fiftee of the same color as the dastar over the dastar if that helps.

A bunga (keski tied into kes) can be small too, in fact I personally find that alot of times bungas tend to be more firm when they are smaller.

Use mal mal material as this sticks to the head more than the thicker material and is lighter so its much less likely to come off. I've messed about with mates, like wrestling, headlocks and stuff and my dastar has stayed on (a full dumalla with a bunga underneath).

Just tie what bhai amolak singh ties in this video. He ties his keski into his kes (a bunga), then another keski on top of that. It's small aswell. But make sure that if you are not going to tie any more material over this that the external keski you tie on top of the bunga has atleast five wraps/5 yards around the head (maryada). In the video below, the second keski bhai amaolak singh ties is smaller than that as he is going to tie a full dumalla over it. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Veerji where does this maryada come from? Is it from a rehatnama? i might need to get a few more longer keskis if this is a requirement lol

Buddasingh Jee : That is the exagt approach I decided to take, my uncle suggested this and it worked great. 2 Larts and a fiftee (same dastaar material) then finish the dastaar so it's all blended in :)

I'm surprised it's not a more universally known method. I see many patkas in sports and wonder why I almost never see my method.

I've been doing it for years with varied sports, and playing very hard, and it's always secure and I feel more appropriately dressed than I would wearing a patka of some sort. It also can act as a little extra protection for ones skull. In fact the pleasant challenge is to make sure it's not too tight. It's also very customizable with number of fiftees, at particular laar intervals and tightness. For me the method arose out of same approach as yours which is not wanting to wear a patka.

The additional thing is if you are going skiiing/snowboarding, I suggest that you bring along another dastar as dastar could get soaked with prolonged exposure to percipitation. Assuming you've tied it tight, the soak can be quite dense. Perhaps there is a way to add a layer of gortex/waterproof material covered or of the same color underneath? That one I have not tried yet.

Yeah, agree with you on that. It is definetly the approach people should be taking to be honest.

In regards to the dastaar getting wet etc, I'm going to be taking 3 maybe 4 dastaara with me anyway so I'll be putting the one i've worn throughout the day on a radiator etc to dry it out at night. Should be alright I guess.