Is Listening To Music Bad For Gurskih

scooter

Perhaps it wasn't clear from the post, I was being sarcastic :)

Edit: Just realized my reponse above wouldn't help, allow me to explain.

Dhadi vaar and kavishri are also not classified as Gurbani Kirtan. So then, if all non-kirtan songs are to be shunned then lets shun dhadhi and kavishri as well.

Maharaj started kavishri and Dhadhi. :biggrin2:

What people are saying here is like saying: oh look, tabla/harmonium is used in a kotha (where prostitutes dance, used to happen in old times a lot) so lets stop using it in Kirtan. Just because something is used in bad ways does not mean it can also not be used in good ways. Things are typically never black and white so lets try to avoid treating them as such.

This doesn't even apply here. I recommend you listen to Sri Anand Sahib da paat on Kachi Bani katha and listen to the katha i posted to kalsingh. Also listen to the Hukam of Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj, where he says STUDY other religious text and only have your faith in Gurbani and Akal Purakh. :biggrin2:

Bhai Sahib, Veer ji, Baba ji, one of your first post in this thread started off by saying everyone is wrong and extreme. If you took the meaning of Sikh to heart, then you would have said, i am still learning so how do i know what is right and wrong. So i can't say someone is wrong or right. I am still learning. Also i know some are further down their jeevan than me and obviously these Baba ji's are getting their facts from somewhere else, so maybe instead of calling others extreme. I should ask them and only say you are taking Shabad out of context once i have heard a Brahmgyanis katha on the Shabad and the Brahmgyani says they are wrong. I completely understand that everyone is on a different level and i have stated this many times in other posts. What you don't like is when i or another tells us the right way of doing stuff. Then you jump out of your seat and start jumping up and down to get everyone to follow the level your at. If you want to listen to artist, then by all means, but don't bring Sikhi down to your level.

audios / Katha / Puratan Katha / Sant Gurbachan Singh (Bhindran wale) / Guru Granth Sahib Larivaar Katha /

Raag Sri Raag Ang 60

First of all, please don't call me bhai sahib or baba ji, I am neither of these. What makes you right and me wrong? You say you told me the right way of doing things. I'd only respect what you have to say if you are a saint, are you a saint?

My friend, tell me how I am jumping up and down to get people to follow the level I am at. You are actually talking about yourself here. This is what I mean by over personal jibes mate (and ones that arent even accurate, that's what annoys me). Fair enough, when I said why do you resort to personal attacks the example I used was not the best one, but you have a very annoying habit of making things a bit personal and diagnosing inaccurate conclusions. End of.

Ps: I can't listen to that katha as I don't understand punjabi.

Ps: I can't listen to that katha as I don't understand punjabi.

Serious!!!! Once i find some wicked english katha I'll give you the link. Thats another seva that needs to be done now. Translating Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj katha into english. Sant ji's katha on Gurbani clears up all the doubts and uncertainities we have. My advice to you is to read as much Gurbani translation in english you can in a day. If you have full faith in Maharaj and can abandon what the mind wants, then Maharaj does kirpa even when we read english translations. If you can try learning punjabi, it's not a difficult language to learn.

Depends on the music. If you listen to instrumental music while doing naam simran it will enhance your state of mind and consciousness. If you listen to hip hop rubbish and loud rock music this type of nonce with vulgar lyrics especially you will behave and think in similar manor. Music is very important it has the power to influence your behaviour and thought processes.

Just look at how young girls and boys of sikh heritage dress, talk and behave these days its all down to popular culture which has heavy influence from black american or british musical artists singing vulgar songs and nasty cheap lyrics./..this is how our young people are getting influenced to behave in the manor .

Guru Nanak Dev Ji listened to the raabab and sitaar playing these instruments and the simple sound vibrations they cause I believe have the power to lift your state of mind to a higher consciousness.

Serious!!!! Once i find some wicked english katha I'll give you the link. Thats another seva that needs to be done now. Translating Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj katha into english. Sant ji's katha on Gurbani clears up all the doubts and uncertainities we have. My advice to you is to read as much Gurbani translation in english you can in a day. If you have full faith in Maharaj and can abandon what the mind wants, then Maharaj does kirpa even when we read english translations. If you can try learning punjabi, it's not a difficult language to learn.

Ok, cool, I'd appreciate that. I'm glad we agree on one thing at least, that there is point in reading english translations if one can't read punjabi. (of course, it would be best to learn and read gurmukhi).

Darling, anything that is non-Sikhi related and takes your mind away from SatGuru Patshah Jee's charan and into vikaars is BERRY BERRY bad for us.

Yes! That's what I wanted to say. You just put in pefect words :)

There are songs like the one I linked to, which make you self reflect and bring you closer to Sikhi.

Thats another seva that needs to be done now. Translating Sant Baba Gurbachan Singh ji Maharaj katha into english. Sant ji's katha on Gurbani clears up all the doubts and uncertainities we have.

That's very good idea. Lot of people born in the west find it much easier to understand something said in English rather than Punjabi. That would be a big help to alot of us.