Petiton Against Weather Shield At Harmandir Sahib

singher23

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

SGPC is installing a weather shield at Harmandir Sahib.

Here is the original thread

http://www.sikhsangat.com/Index.php?/topic/65475-weather-shield-at-golden-temple-doesnt-wow-heritage-lovers/

I have created a petition against this, because I feel that it is not needed and will destroy the character of our beautiful Gurdwara. Please take a moment to not just sign this petition, but forward it to other Sikhs you know. It is time we took action against all this nonsense that is going on.

PETITION LINK

https://www.change.org/petitions/sgpc-stop-the-sgpc-from-installing-a-weather-shield-at-the-golden-temple

Fateh

If you have been to Harmandir Sahib you'll know that sometimes you can be waiting in a tightly packed queue for easily more than an hour at times to get inside.

Having spoken to Singh in Amritsar, they say you sometimes get Sangat fainting from standing in the searing heat in the summer. When it rains everyone gets drenched and when you are in a tight queue. Whether hot or raining, it's not good as its not easy to get out of the queue or get taken out if you faint/have problems.

So chaninees are put up now anyway as required and have been for some time, which are temporary structures and do not look that good. What they are proposing now are permanent poles with a clear motorised retractable top which can be used as and when required. As chaninees are used as temporary measures anyway, this would probably look better and do a better job.

-------------------------------------------------------

Web: www.SikhiStore.com

Twitter: www.twiiter.com/SikhiStore

Facebook: www.facebook.com/SikhiStoreUK

Gurfateh Ji,

Do you honestly believe that Guruji did not have the means to install this type of roof when Harmandir Sahib was being constructed? Of course he could! But he chose not to, and he did that for a reason. Now I don't know that reason, but I think that it might have been for some of the following.

-The view of Harmandir Sahib from Darshan Deori will be obstructed. How can you call it Darshan Deori if there is no Darshan?

-View of Harmandir Sahib from Akal Takht will be obstructed, signifying that Miri is more important than Piri

-Only the truly devoted will stand outside in the heat and the rains for an hour waiting to see Guruji. Remember, this a Gurdwara, a place for worship, not a place where amenities have to be put into high consideration. If they want to prevent people from getting heated, hand out water in the heat or umbrellas in the rain.

When I went to Harmandir Sahib this year, I was shocked to see a new fence around the inside of the Sarovar. Do you believe that Guruji couldn't have had this fence installed if he wanted to?

Slowly and Slowly they will add more things like this. Next they will add benches, after that they will add tea stands. Then they will have special VIP seating areas. Enough is enough. When will they stop?

People have been visiting Harmandir Sahib for hundreds of years, in the heat, cold, sun and rain. Why the hell do we need this now?

Please sign this petition and pass it on to other Sikhs you know. We must stop this insane amount of meddling by SGPC

I'd like to see a sketch of what it will look like before I sign any petition.

Gotta say though, the authorities are not doing a good job of selling the idea by calling it a 'shed'. Its conjuring up images in my head of my garden shed. And if anyone here ever saw the state of my garden shed they'd understand what a scary image that is.

But.....a beautifully designed canopy might be a good thing. I'd like to see a drawing of the design.

More information is needed as of what type of product/material they gonna use and whether they are going to drill into the walkway/bridge and how many poles it require.. SGPC should post architecture submission online before they start this project.

Total cost as per news article is 1 crore (roughly $210K) and if it is done by indian company then they are going to put like 60 to 70 lakh worth of equipment which i think is not enough to have a top notch class retractable cover/shed.

Bump...I will continue to bump until i have the 2000 signatures on my petition.

S1ngh, this petition can help accomplish that if that is what you want. Once SGPC sees that people want more information, they will post online sketches. Who knows, maybe this will lead to SGPC being more open to the Sikh public in general :biggrin2:

IF YOU SIGN, REMEMBER TO SHARE!