Questions About Sikhism

Guest Poster1

Guest Poster1

Hello,

I'm learning about Sikhism and had a few questions about things i've read.

1) I've read in Sikhism everybodies soul is a part of God's soul, is that correct? Is this a physical thing, i.e there is Gods soul and we all have a small part of it? So in essence, we all have some "divine" in us?

2) I also read the aim of life is to avoid rebirth/reincarnation and merge back with God. Again, is this a literal and physical merging or does it mean something else?

3) I think i also read that sikhs believe God created the world out of himself or a part of himself? Is that true?

A related question is do you believe God is everywhere and in everything?

4) Do you believe the Gurus received revelation from God? What proof do you have for that, did they do any miracles?

Many thank in advance.

1) I've read in Sikhism everybodies soul is a part of God's soul, is that correct? Is this a physical thing, i.e there is Gods soul and we all have a small part of it? So in essence, we all have some "divine" in us?

Yea thats correct we are a small part of Vaheguru. Yea we all have a divine aspect of God within us but we can either chose to be animal-like by committing sin or practice Naam Abhiyaas to become angelic/godly beings.

2) I also read the aim of life is to avoid rebirth/reincarnation and merge back with God. Again, is this a literal and physical merging or does it mean something else?

Yes, we have to avoid rebirth by merging into Vaheguru which is called jyotee jyot. Before reaching Jyotee jyot, which is the level of Bhramgyan, there are many levels below that of Jyot Vigaas. It is a literal merging of the soul. So, Vaheguru comes into your body and embraces your soul. The divine pleasure is more enjoyable than any illusionary pleasure in this world.

We can also chose to return to earth which is what any Gurmukh can do in order to help people on earth or for seva for Khalsa Raj.

3) I think i also read that sikhs believe God created the world out of himself or a part of himself? Is that true?

Yes Vaheguru is everywhere because everything is Vaheguru. The duality/illusion is to think that this materialistic world and the spirit world is seperate from God when in fact nothing but Vaheguru existed before this illusion came into existence. Nothing but Vaheguru's light exists everywhere and all Gurmukhs are shown in this in the beginning stages of Spiritual play as it is one Darshan of Vaheguru.

4) Do you believe the Gurus received revelation from God? What proof do you have for that, did they do any miracles?

Guru Sahib is NOT like prophets. So, Guru Sahib did not get revelations from God. Guru Sahib is God. There is no difference between Vaheguru Jee and Guru Sahib. Regarding miracles, any Gurmukh and non-sikh meditator such as a buddhist or siddha can perfom miracles, its not a hard task. Yes Guru Sahib did perform them and you can read them in Bhai Gurdas jee's Vaaran. He is proof enough as he was a Gurmukh of that time.

I didnt explain my answers properly in detail. Here it is -

Sikhism is about experience, meaning that, we experience God not just read about God. We believe we can see God whilst alive in this body. The following explains the steps of spirituality in Sikhism:

When one takes amrit (baptism) he/she becomes a Sikh. Our aim is to become a Khalsa, which means pure, and to become one with God. Secondly, we meditate on God's Name and recite/sing Gurbani (qualities of God). We meditate on God to remove our bad karma/sin from our soul so that we can gain qualities of God which will allow us to move faster towards God. The qualities mentioned in Gurbani are Humility, Compassion, Tolerance, Contentment, Peace, Truth, Fearlessness etc. The most important quality is Humility, which is explained in Gurbani as becoming the dust of all. The more our mind becomes low (humble) the faster we move up towards God.

Thirdly, once we reach the level of Joyt Vigaas (which means the blossom of the soul) then we reach the first level, which is the realm of Dharam (religion), then second realm above that is the realm of Knowledge (which is where we believe Guatama Buddha reached), then above that is the Realm of Humility, above that the realm of Power and then lastly above that is the realm of Truth where Nirakaar (The Formless God/Vaheguru) abides. That level is called Bhramgyan. As we progress before reaching this level our soul is made more intelligent and our soul grows and changes so that we can handle God's power and pleasure.

We believe in all the heavens that other religions believe in but we believe they are all under Maya (illusion). Gurbani teaches to move above heaven and hell, good and bad, pleasure and pain etc. This state is called param padh (fourth state). Also, Gurbani teaches equality amongst men and women. In our history, we have a Sikh Woman who led a army of Sikh men into battle to assist Guru Gobind Singh Jee.

We believe in miracles and powers but these are lowly in Sikhism, so Gurbani taught us to be unaffected by them and to always be humble and sweet-speeched to all and not to misuse these powers. Actually to keep them hidden.

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

Hello,

I'm learning about Sikhism and had a few questions about things i've read.

Many thank in advance.

1) Yes, that’s correct. We believe God is formless and within us which is why we meditate on God’s name to merge with our origin.

gur purakhai purakh milaae prabh mil surathee surath samaanee ||

The Guru, the Primal Being, has united me with the Primal Lord God. My consciousness has merged into the supreme consciousness.

2) Yes that’s our aim of life. We believe we still have our own soul but the light of God merges in us, so we become God.

aapae mael vishhu(n)niaa sach vaddiaaee dhaee ||4||

God unites the separated ones with Himself again, and blesses them with true greatness. ||4||

3) Yes

prabh rav rehiaa bharapooree ||

God is totally pervading and permeating everywhere.

4) We believe Guru Ji is God. The Guru’s did perform miracles but it was never for selfish reasons.

hodhai thaan nithaaneeaa rehehi nimaananeeaah ||

They remain powerless, even while they have power; they remain humble and meek.

AND

naanak guramukh har naam man vasai eaehaa sidhh eaehaa karamaath ||2||

O Nanak, the Lord's Name abides in the mind of the Gurmukh; this is spirituality, and this is miraculous power. ||2||

Sikhs meditate on God’s name so we experience the truth of Gurbani.

guramukh naam dhhiaaeeai mathh thath kadtolai ||

The Gurmukh meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord; he churns, and obtains the essence of reality.

AND

sehaj samaadhh lagee liv a(n)thar so ras soee jaanaijeeo ||1||

I am intuitively absorbed in the state of Samaadhi deep within. God alone knows this sweet pleasure. ||1||

Poster Kaal is mostly right, the only thing i want ask him has he reached those levels he talks about, or are you just passing on information you have learnt.

Agreed. Totally irrelevant.

Hardly irrelevant, i wouldnt have asked if i thought it was, secondly, reason i asked is Guru Shaibs said only talk about your own Avaasta (spritual level) talking about things you haven't experienced is abit short sighted.

Where did Guru Sahibs say that?

Please enlighten us with your research.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tuhintuhin

- we are souls seperated from God (eternal bliss where we came from) due to our karams.....yes we'll have divinity in us....the level varies depending on our karams and sanskars.........when our aatma becomes pure like God, our soul will merge with him and will be out of janam maran circle........we got this human body only to do karams by being "nirlep" - without any desire or wishes.....we won't be freed until we have "haume" / "mein" in us.......even ranchik matar.......

yes, the aim of life is to avoid rebirth/reincarnation and merge back with God....physical merging is no merging...we are never going to merge with God PHYSICALLY...becaue God done't have any physical body...........human body is a "horse" and our aatma is the "rider"..........when we reach a destination human body will leave us as horse leaves its rider......human body is made up of elements... God's not........our aatma and God has the same light........our soul doesn't have any elements or say tatt as our human body does........

this merging is purely of our aatma (when it's enlightened by living a gursikhi jeewan our Guru taught us) with THE ENLIGHTENED ONE.

YES, ...........there is no place which is out of GOD's boundry....meaning GOD is everywhere and in everything....we need the enlighted eye to see and hear him everywhere and in everyone.....

- -

10 Guru's were Akal purkh ji himself....they were not prophets, saints, brahmgyanis....etc .... no body enlightened them.......the physical body of Guru sahibs was only a medium to talk to us and set an example for us to live a life that he likes....to show us everything how things should be done........coz. it's human nature we don't believe until we see someone doing that....................

"anant kala le thakur charheya" - Bhai Gurdas ji...........As Guru Arjan dev ji said Bhai Gurdas ji's varran and kabit are kunji of Guru Granth Sahib ji.............

magicians do miracles......Baba farid ji after doing 12 yrs tapseya said...marjiio chirhio, jee pao chirihoo......he had to spend more yeard to get to the real thing......miracle is the smallest thing of no worth to Guru sahibs....they taught us bhaan manana.........they showed us how to do this...bhan mitha kiwein manana.....sewa simran naal apne aap nu miracle vargiaan ridhiyaa sidhiaa ton upar uthke.....

these miracly things ridhiaa sidhiaa chardikala vale gursikan de charna hath jorhi khrhiaa rehndia ne ke sanu kai hukum deo...par o ena cheezan interested ni hunde......je gursikhan di eh avastha ta Guru sahib kithe........

waheguru ji sarbat da bhala karan.....