Is This Kind Of Animation Allowed In Sikhism?

Pappi9

Its stop motion animation using plasticine or clay models. I think it's fantastic although I suppose some might say the exaggerated features of the models seem a bit off. However this is good and much better than the slightly "cheap" hand-drawn animation which we get with religious-themed animation which - in my opinion - doesn't help tell the story as best as it should.

If you look carefully the models are visually based on the hand-drawn art style called 'Tanjore' I think, i.e. the almond-like eyes and the delicate features of the person, like the picture below.

zwmipu.jpg

Ive said it for a while now we need a 300 style animation made of the sikh battles and storys, as for the technology for the voices of the Gurus (for those who think 1 man shouldnt be the voice of the gurus) were in era of synthesised audio, which would mean it wouldn't be a living persons voice.

Ive said it for a while now we need a 300 style animation made of the sikh battles and storys, as for the technology for the voices of the Gurus (for those who think 1 man shouldnt be the voice of the gurus) were in era of synthesised audio, which would mean it wouldn't be a living persons voice.

To get past the problem of having an actor voicing the Gurus (or anyone else for that matter) in an animation you could have the narrator speaking over the visuals and kind of doing almost 'katha' of what's occuring on-screen.

It's hard to describe but you know how when we go to the Gurudwara and there's a Giani doing katha on - for example - the battle of Chamkaur, and Giani Ji has to tell the sangat what Guru Ji said to his Singhs or what Guru Ji said to the Sahizaade, etc., well, something like that would be suitable IMO rather than someone trying to imitate Guru Ji. I could be wrong and it could still be disrespectful but I would think it's better than the alternative.

Quite frankly I believe things like not using animation and film is seriously holding back valuable Sikh history parchaar and knowledge getting out to the wider audience.

Can you imagine sort of impact a film/animation about the battle of Chamkaur for example if filmed in the style of the movie 300 would have ? Animation and film are very effective methods of spreading awareness and knowledge amongst the masses.

People who do not have the commitment to fo example read up on Sikh history etc...will watch flms and animations this might just spur an intrest into learning more.

If anything Sikhs are wasting golden oppurtunities by not making use of emerging technoligies, look how quickly videos on youtube generate hundreds of thousands of hits and go "viral". The internet and video/animation is the perfect platform to spread the message of Sikhi parchaar.

I actually liked this. The whole point of not making images or statues, is to ensure that people don't worship them like idols. I'm not sure how one would worship a cartoon. It's a slippery slope though. If this is okay, then people will say that live action films are okay. I'm not sure how I would feel about a live actor playing one of our Gurus. I guess it would be hard to worship that too. As long as it is tastefully done.

I don't know. I want to say no but not sure...

i agree.....coz i was told that no body can portrayed character of our guru ji's.......let alone the voice...... even if i remember correctly.... mangal dhillon in his films used quit good effects rather then portraying guru ji's.....

main thing which worries is that ...there are many anti sikh elements within sikhs ...who ...if this kind of animation is allowed will .....jus destroy sikhi...

i agree.....coz i was told that no body can portrayed character of our guru ji's.......let alone the voice...... even if i remember correctly.... mangal dhillon in his films used quit good effects rather then portraying guru ji's.....

main thing which worries is that ...there are many anti sikh elements within sikhs ...who ...if this kind of animation is allowed will .....jus destroy sikhi...

I know what you mean. If we open Pandora's Box then anyone can conceivably make a film about the Gurus and it might be an attempt by anti-Sikh sources to defame the Gurus.