Sikh Rituals And Color-Throwing

good

WJKK WJKF,I some help with something,offen i have seen color throwing at engagements,from the Girls family on to the Boys family and the color is orange.

Q1.Is this a ritual?

Q2.Where dose it come from?

Q3.Is it Sikism or something else?

Q4.As an Amritdhari,what dose it all mean?

please help i will be very greatful.

Nothing wrong with some cultural practises. I agree a lot of them are outdated but we need to carry on the practises that don't harm anyone. Here is a thought, if Guru Gobind Singh jee had not established Khalsa on Visakhi, would we call it manmat today?

And what are you are trying to say here?

So you think it is all right to carry on rituals.

I am trying to highlight the fact that visakhi was a cultural event until Guru ji made it a religiously significant for Sikhs. Also, I have not said anything about RITUALS, I have said cultural practises (I will need to look at the dictionary to see if ritual and cultural practises are the same). Throwing colour is not a ritual but a cultural thing to do, just like when the bride and groom are cleansed using haldi and tail before wedding.

The visakhi example was that as sikhs we have no problem celebrating visakhi because Guru ji established Khalsa on that day but if they hadnt then we might still be celebrating it as a cultural event, much like basant etc. Some people would have called Visakhi a ritual/manmat if there was no religious significance attached to it.

JSinghnz, only a sikh can have such thoughts because we are free to question things and follow our own path to Waheguru with the help of our Gurus. What I have said is entirely my opinion and it may be right or wrong depending on my understanding of things.We learn by questioning and discussions, dont we?

There are cultural things in different cultures that don't defy Gurmat. Like eating pizza Most likely this color throwing thing has some manmat reasoning behind it.

Today many Singhs are falling victim to manmat practices. Even the ones you think that will never fall to this kind of stuff. Stick to the role models of the 1980s. Many of these new age Singhs have no different life style then a white guy who doesn't follow Sikhi. Only difference between the white guy and the Singh is that the Singh is wearing a Dastar. A new religion has been started by these Singhs.....its the religion of the Dastar and read Gurbani with eye and mind closed. Gurbani no longer is authority, but a book with a lot of poetry and opinions for this new religion.

And the reason why these new Singhs created this religion. Because their 'Singhni' is liberal minded and doesn't agree with Gurmat. So they became sheeps and are following her lead. She points in one direction the Singh objects....her reply......I don't agree with Gurmat, i'm do it this way...my way.....Singh thinks....shes not going to let me do (fill in the blank), so i better listen.....to rationalize...yeah what she says is right......Gurmat is too narrow minded and black. Satguru has already stated this will happen and it is happening. Just do Ardas to Maharaj begging and praying that it doesn't happen to you.

its some cultural practice that people have forgotten why they do it , but they just know that their elders did it. Therev arew many sich practices in Panjabi/hindustani cultures. If they did it at an engagment and nobody is offended by it, then why waste your time dwelling on it? If you dont want to do it, then when it comes to your turn, dont.

A practice that isnt for sikhi isnt necessarily against sikhi, folks probably do it because its an excuse to socialize n hav a laugh... nothing more or less. Live ur lives however u feel comfortable and stop knitpicking about trivial issues