We Need More Journalists

Singh559

Highly biased and prejudiced articles like this are written by people with predispositions against Sikhs in general. They use their position as reporters/journalists to spew propaganda through the news. One of the main problems we face is that Sikhs don't have any real media power in the mainstream.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2156199/Punjab-warned-martyr-memorial.html#ixzz1xCie3WMP

Highly biased and prejudiced articles like this are written by people with predispositions against Sikhs in general. They use their position as reporters/journalists to spew propaganda through the news. One of the main problems we face is that Sikhs don't have any real media power in the mainstream.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz1xCie3WMP

Yeah I agree with this. But the 'dardh' to become a journalist and make a difference for Sikhi only comes if a person actually knows what it is they're combatting. There's a few Sikh journalists in the UK (a guy called Satnam Sanghera writes for the Times) but you'll never get his sort highlighting any Sikh issues or even criticising GOI policies. The reason is because they believe the official line from the Indian propaganda machine, i.e. Sikh "militants", etc. That's where the blinkers come up and it's game over. Actually, they may be aware of the real issues at hand but have no desire to create waves by highlighting them.

Plus, the hostility towards anyone challenging apparently democractic countries in favour of fringe movements - especially armed movements (despite evidence of un-democratic policies and issues being perpetrated by such countries) in this day and age, even in a professional, political environment, gets a person nowhere, especially if said journalist wants to climb their career ladder. You know how much our people like climbing career ladders and thus reaping the finanical and status related rewards that brings. :biggrin2:

I know we have a Sikh channel and that is great. We need a media that is seen/read by masses in Punjab (like the Tribune), which will have a Sikh bias (instead of hindu/india bias). Maybe leaning is a better word than bias. So instead of reading about Sikh terrorist we will read about Hindu terrorists during 1984 attack.

I have noticed that since India got a shock during the Bhai Rajoana protests, that Sikhs and Punjab and across the world are no longer going to tolerate injustice against them, the Indian media have stepped up negative reporting against Sikhs.This reminds me of the 80's and 90's when the Sikh movement was strong how Indian correspondents for both Indian and foreign papers spewed venom against the Sikhs.This paper the Daily Mail is a British paper with a Punjabi Hindu correspondent who is labelling Sikhs terrorists, he also factually incorrect when he states the DDT published a booklet when it was the Dal Khalsa.. The best way to deal with this is to write to the editor and complain ( contact details are on the paper website) . The Sikh organistions should also write in, papers dare not write anything against the Jews because their organistions immediately contact the media if anything is written against them. British media is also watched by the press complaints authority so worth writing to them also.

Yes, Isingh is correct, the only action we can take in the short term is to write to the respective newspaper who publishes incorrect or misleading articles. Although I wouldn't put much hope in the PCC -- they've been exposed as toothless and ineffectual since this phone-hacking scandal has been brought to light. I've read that the PCC won't be around for much longer.

For the long term, the course of action suggested by Singh559 seems to be the only way. So, we need to raise our kids away from the Indian satellite TV channels (or any other dodgy TV channels for that matter), get them reading about the faith -- heck, get them reading ANYTHING!!! -- and we should be okay.