Dsgmc May Raise Memorial To Riot Victims

Azaad

After the SGPC’s move to build Operation Bluestar Memorial in the Golden Temple complex, the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) now moots a proposal to raise one in Delhi to pay homage to Sikhs killed in the November 1984 riots.

This was stated by DSGMC chief Paramjit Singh Sarna who was in town today with Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit to inaugurate Guru Teg Bahadur Niwas, an inn for pilgrims.

Spread over 2800-sq yard, the inn has been built at a cost of Rs 12 crore. It has 84 rooms (42 AC, 42 non-AC) and four halls.

Sarna said a proposal for raising a memorial to the riot victims would be deliberated at the executive meeting of the DSGMC. Asked if the Congress would support the move, Sarna said the Congress had always been supportive of issues related to the Delhi Sikh community.

Endorsing his stand, the Delhi CM said: “Till date, nobody has approached us with any such proposal. But it will definitely be considered if the DSGMC takes the initiative”.

On Bluestar Memorial, Sarna said: “ I feel the memorial should neither be in the shape of a gurdwara nor within the premises of a gurdwara.”

He alleged the DSGMC had built Guru Teg Bahadur Niwas because of the non-cooperative attitude of the SGPC towards Sikhs from other states.

“We have been receiving complaints from Sikh pilgrims from other states visiting the Golden Temple that the SGPC staff is reluctant to accommodate them in inns. Even yesterday, the pilgrims who accompanied us from Delhi were refused accommodation at the SGPC-run inns.

“If need be, another inn could be built over a 200-sq yard plot in the galliara area,” Sarna said.

Among those present at the inauguration of the inn were present Jathedar, Takht Patna Sahib, Iqbal Singh, Shiromani Panthic chairman Manjit Singh Calcutta and district Congress leaders.

come on singh135 - i know did not mean the above and it has come out wrong - as i read it ''demoting a monument with room with SGGSJ in it'

Besides Politicians always go back on their word - So Badal will hopefully go back on his - and in a years time - we will have photos etc in and part of memorial

I think Badal may have just said those things just so he can move on - and keep BJP quiet (hopefully) Remember is just a politician - not our leader - and far from a religious leader also.