Beadbi Swindon Tomorrow

High Spirits

Sadh Sangat jee

Please can members verify recent news that there will be a wedding taking place tomorrow at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Swindon of a Nigerian non-Sikh?

Any other information would also help from local sangat.

Thanks

What's a "non-sikh"? What does the nationality of the person have to do with respect to Sikhism?

In reality there are plenty of "non-sikh" weddings occurring every weekend at Gurdwaras. In the majority of weddings the bride and groom have no understanding of Sikhism, let alone Gurbani. After the wedding the beards of men are trimmed/shaved and there is a party with music, dancing, alcohol and meat.

What should be done about these weddings?

What's a "non-sikh"? What does the nationality of the person have to do with respect to Sikhism?

In reality there are plenty of "non-sikh" weddings occurring every weekend at Gurdwaras. In the majority of weddings the bride and groom have no understanding of Sikhism, let alone Gurbani. After the wedding the beards of men are trimmed/shaved and there is a party with music, dancing, alcohol and meat.

What should be done about these weddings?

oh please!! stop tryna get all technical mate. 2 ppl from sikh families who get married have more of a chance of giving birth 2 sikh kids, than a mix marriage. We bin instructed that a SIKH CAN ONLY MARRY A SIKH, END OF! if a non-believer wants 2 marry an apni/apna then they must convert, end of, or get married outside, but not in our gurus hazoori.

Sadh Sangat jee

Please can members verify recent news that there will be a wedding taking place tomorrow at Guru Nanak Gurdwara, Swindon of a Nigerian non-Sikh?

Any other information would also help from local sangat.

Thanks

I heard about this from my mate (coincedentally we were at a wedding aswell), and my head jus sank even lower than usual. But wat can be done, apart from threatening the pardhaan/committee and the gianis? i heard that a wedding was stopped in birmingham last year, wen the pardhan and the giani were sent a letter through their house letterboxes sayin that their cars would be blown up if the illegal marriage went thru, magically it didnt, funny that init!

High Spirits - you should be ashamed of yourself...trying to cause trouble with someone's wedding. Are you perfect? Are you a paragon of virtue??

'Verify recent news' - it's not news. It's you gossiping on an internet forum where without revealing your true identity hoping you can try and cause trouble for a couple who are getting married this weekend.

If one of them is of the Sikh faith, they have every right to marry in a gurdwara...if you are such a saviour of true Sikhi, why don't you go and protest about something important - like protecting our unborn sisters who are aborted in the Punjab because of their gender.

and RebelSingh....you generally have very immature posts, so I don't expect anything better. If you think threatening people with blowing up their cars is acceptable behaviour - I suggest you convert to Islam, because its the kind of thing extremist moslems would do.

and RebelSingh....you generally have very immature posts, so I don't expect anything better. If you think threatening people with blowing up their cars is acceptable behaviour - I suggest you convert to Islam, because its the kind of thing extremist moslems would do.

??? bro read my posts, i never once insinuated we shud blow up ppls cars, im jus saying that this sort of beadbi is happning coz of lazy/money hungry gianis/pardhaans, and i gave an example of 1 such case in birmingham, and sayin the irony that it stopped coincedentally as they were threatened. Which tells us that the pardhaans/gianis KNEW they were doing wrong, but still went ahead with it, until their cars were targetted.

You say i have immature posts....??? well thats ur opinion n ur entitled 2 it. I know u dont like me, n u never have!

If one of them is of the Sikh faith, they have every right to marry in a gurdwara

LOL erm no they are not! Where have u read that a sikh + non-sikh can marry infront of our guru?

Check this out, straight out of the Akal Takht rules/maryada.

Anand Sanskar (Lit. Joyful Ceremonial: Sikh Matrimonial Conventions and Ceremony)

Article XVIII

(a) A Sikh man and woman should enter wedlock without giving thought to the prospective spouse's caste and descent.

(b) A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh.

© A Sikh's marriage should be solemnized by Anand marriage rites.

(d) Child marriage is taboo for Sikhs.

(e) When a girl becomes marriageable, physically, emotionally and by virtue of maturity of character, a suitable Sikh match should be found and she be married to him by Anand marriage rites.

(k) Persons professing faiths other than the Sikh faith cannot be joined in wedlock by the Anand Karaj ceremony.

read that mug, now tel me whether i shud convert 2 islam, or u need a holiday 2 calm down.

RebelSingh

..So as an enforcer for the Rehit Maryada relating to marraige, are you also concerned about

a) A Sikh man and woman should enter wedlock without giving thought to the prospective spouse's caste and descent.

h. Putting on floral or gilded face ornamentation [....] are sacrileges

I am annoyed that people pick selective issues with which to cause trouble for other people.

By giving specific details of what is someone's wedding day, people are behaving irresponsibly and putting at risk someone's wedding. That is fundamentally wrong.

p.s.

I don't have a personal issue with you - i don't know you.

RebelSingh

..So as an enforcer for the Rehit Maryada relating to marraige, are you also concerned about

a) A Sikh man and woman should enter wedlock without giving thought to the prospective spouse's caste and descent.

h. Putting on floral or gilded face ornamentation [....] are sacrileges

I am annoyed that people pick selective issues with which to cause trouble for other people.

By giving specific details of what is someone's wedding day, people are behaving irresponsibly and putting at risk someone's wedding. That is fundamentally wrong.

p.s.

I don't have a personal issue with you - i don't know you.

yes i am mate, and i agree with the above. please refer back to my post, i actually mentioned fact "a)", regading caste/descent. coz if that nigerian converts 2 sikhi, in order 2 marry the apni, then i have no issues. also regarding the point of "H)" putting on floral etc stuff, im assuming thats the face covering sehra thingy, well thats a dumb tradition anyways, no one in my family does that, so im not quite concerned bowt that, but if its not allwed, then its not allowed.

the bullet points i have mentioned r MASSIVE points regarding anand karaj, someone wearing a sehra/face covering, is not a bigger crime than a sikh marrying a non-sikh in our gurus hazoori, the list probably (not sure) runs in order of importance.

later mate