Foods You Should Eat

jpsingh2

Surely they have enough daeen (yoghurt how do you spell it? :S) and milk. I've never heard of anyone with this deficiancy.

I suppose dhaeen and milk would have Vitamin B-12. Perhaps not enough as the fortified cereals?

I had a professor that was a strict vegetarian (Hindu), and he had to take weekly Vit B -12 shots. Maybe some people are more genetically predisposed than others.

I suppose dhaeen and milk would have Vitamin B-12. Perhaps not enough as the fortified cereals?

I had a professor that was a strict vegetarian (Hindu), and he had to take weekly Vit B -12 shots. Maybe some people are more genetically predisposed than others.

You can have Bowel problems or if your immune system attacks the lining of the stomach. Intrinsic factor is a substance that is secreted by the lining of the stomach and is needed for the absorption of vitamin B12 in the intestines. If the intrinsic factor isn't produced, vitamin B12 cannot be absorbed into the body properly. I personally have never seen anyone have b-12 defficiancy. There is plenty in milk and dairy products. You don't even need forified cereals. I think bacteria produce B-12 too. So it can get into plants and on food.

You can have Bowel problems or if your immune system attacks the lining of the stomach. Intrinsic factor is a substance that is secreted by the lining of the stomach and is needed for the absorption of vitamin B12 in the intestines. If the intrinsic factor isn't produced, vitamin B12 cannot be absorbed into the body properly. I personally have never seen anyone have b-12 defficiancy. There is plenty in milk and dairy products. You don't even need forified cereals. I think bacteria produce B-12 too. So it can get into plants and on food.

You are correct. Lack of intrinsic factor prevents Vit. B-12 from being absorbed in the ileum.

My argument is still that meat is the best source of vitamins and nutrients. You can combine various non-meat food products to attain the same nutritional value as meat, but most people (especially in our community) do not have the savvy to make such conscious decisions when choosing what to eat.

Thus, when the average person forgoes meat he may not know that he needs to eat more beans and cereals, and drink more milk.

I used the example of granthis, because that is what I have been told by physicians who deal with patients from our community. I guess it is down to personal experience, and what kinds of people you come across.

On the flipside, eating too much meat can lead to complications as well. Such as, gout and high cholesterol (in people who don't exercise). It is best to maintain a balance between all food groups.

Bhul chuk maaf