Sikhs in the U.S. Civil War?

Singh559

Don't know anything about the picture.

But I think that the country England was secretly for the South, but these individuals, as proactive said, for ideological or other reasons sided with the North. These individuals were not officially sent by the British government, i think they chose to come fight.

Some people say that they wanted to fight against slavery and were like volunteers or mercenaries.

It seems this took place in 1918 from a source someone has provided and they were indeed veterans from the Civil War. It was a meetup.

I think from what I have read these veterans had come out to welcome US troop coming to England to fight in the first world war. It was their way of saying that just as the Americans are coming to help the Allies against the Germans, they had also gone over in the 1860s to help the Union against the Confederacy. These veterans if that is the case were similar to the International Brigade of people from all over Europe who went over to fight for the Republicans side in the Spanish Civil War.

I think from what I have read these veterans had come out to welcome US troop coming to England to fight in the first world war. It was their way of saying that just as the Americans are coming to help the Allies against the Germans, they had also gone over in the 1860s to help the Union against the Confederacy. These veterans if that is the case were similar to the International Brigade of people from all over Europe who went over to fight for the Republicans side in the Spanish Civil War.

There were annual reunions that took place for 'American War Veterans' Reunion' around 1917-1918, but it could have been taken well before this time.

It seems that this Singh very well could have fought in the U.S. Civil war.

• 2 weeks later...

Fascinating picture! Thanks for sharing.

That being said, without more information it's pretty hard to draw any concrete conclusions. I mean personally I'd even be careful about assuming that the man is Sikh without some further supporting evidence. I remember years ago a whole bunch of apnay got fooled into thinking an old picture of some Afghan warlords with some Brits were actually M. Ranjit Singh and Hari Singh Nalwa!! lol

Also I'd question previous posters notions that Sikhs would fight along ideological lines as has been suggested. I don't really see much of this. From my understanding I doubt freeing black slaves, would have motivated many Sikhs to the cause, if anything it would probably be more 'mercenary' - i.e. for money? But the idea that some people from India may have fought in the American civil war is very interesting and I hope further research is conducted into the picture, but I doubt many people outside of apnay would be interested in the topic??

Fascinating picture! Thanks for sharing.

That being said, without more information it's pretty hard to draw any concrete conclusions. I mean personally I'd even be careful about assuming that the man is Sikh without some further supporting evidence. I remember years ago a whole bunch of apnay got fooled into thinking an old picture of some Afghan warlords with some Brits were actually M. Ranjit Singh and Hari Singh Nalwa!! lol

Also I'd question previous posters notions that Sikhs would fight along ideological lines as has been suggested. I don't really see much of this. From my understanding I doubt freeing black slaves, would have motivated many Sikhs to the cause, if anything it would probably be more 'mercenary' - i.e. for money? But the idea that some people from India may have fought in the American civil war is very interesting and I hope further research is conducted into the picture, but I doubt many people outside of apnay would be interested in the topic??

Ah, yes. I remember that picture and highly doubted it was MRS and Hari SIngh Nalwa.

This Singh does definitely look like a Singh though and he clearly is an army officer and thus is most likely a Sikh. I'll PM you some things I got from Amarpal S. Sidhu about the picture (the SIngh who wrote the Anglo Sikh wars).

It doesn't determine whether or not this Singh fought in the civil war, but is definitely an interesting look at the history behind the picture.

• 1 month later...

From someone's flickr account:

1917 London Veterans

Sikh amongst British veterans of the American Civil War of 1861-1865. This meeting was held in St. James Park, London 1917.They had gathered to welcome the American troops on thier way to France during World War One. Any information about the Sikh gentleman would be most welcome.

1917 London Veterans