Pakistani Drama called Bilqees Kaur

Sherdil

A drama about a Sikh girl who runs away with a Muslim boy.

She has a few children and finds herself re-living the troubles of youth, but this time from a mother's perspective.

A whole lotta fake beards and turbans along with the overlying plot make it cringe-worthy.

Is pakistani media mimicking real-life, or is it condoning a controversial practice? It's sending the message that it is acceptable to get naive non-muslim girls to run away from home and leave their families. Apparently, this makes for a family-friendly drama.

17:26 says it all

Well I have watched this complete drama..thanks to the family who rules television and I don't ..lol ..This past Sunday , the last episode of this serial was aired on Hum TV ... I'm failing to understand what is bad in this drama? It was a wonderful show.... Atleast 100x better than some Indian dramas I know of...lol..

The plot was for Pakistan audiences...so it has to be Sikh to Muslim...If it was aired in Indian Punjab...the plot would've been Muslim to Sikh ..... Is this a problem or anything else?

It will be interesting to you guys' insight into this....

Well I have watched this complete drama..thanks to the family who rules television and I don't ..lol ..This past Sunday , the last episode of this serial was aired on Hum TV ... I'm failing to understand what is bad in this drama? It was a wonderful show.... Atleast 100x better than some Indian dramas I know of...lol..

The plot was for Pakistan audiences...so it has to be Sikh to Muslim...If it was aired in Indian Punjab...the plot would've been Muslim to Sikh ..... Is this a problem or anything else?

It will be interesting to you guys' insight into this....

Well, I think the greatest offense is the level of disrespect Muslims have for other faiths. This Balqees Kaur character never misses an opportunity to put down Sikhi and praise Islam. You would never see the same in an Indian-Punjabi drama. Sikhs are always respectful towards other faiths.

The fact that this drama is so popular among Pakistanis is a bit disturbing. It shows that this mindset is widespread in the community.

How would you feel if there was a Punjabi drama that portrayed a Muslim girl who kept going on and on about leaving Islam? What if she kept saying how Islam teaches hate and intolerance, while Sikhi teaches love and respect?

Don't tell me you guys wouldn't get worked up. Just look at how you all are reacting towards Citizen Khan.

Some of you need to get off your high-horse and quit acting like you are better than others just because you are a Muslim. You're religion isn't even all that. There are more than enough faults in it.

Well, I think the greatest offense is the level of disrespect Muslims have for other faiths. This Balqees Kaur character never misses an opportunity to put down Sikhi and praise Islam. You would never see the same in an Indian-Punjabi drama. Sikhs are always respectful towards other faiths.

The fact that this drama is so popular among Pakistanis is a bit disturbing. It shows that this mindset is widespread in the community.

How would you feel if there was a Punjabi drama that portrayed a Muslim girl who kept going on and on about leaving Islam? What if she kept saying how Islam teaches hate and intolerance, while Sikhi teaches love and respect?

Don't tell me you guys wouldn't get worked up. Just look at how you all are reacting towards Citizen Khan.

Some of you need to get off your high-horse and quit acting like you are better than others just because you are a Muslim. You're religion isn't even all that. There are more than enough faults in it.

Oh thats the problem...

Well NONE of the Pakistanis will even care about this 'religious aspect' of it. Secondly , I know people here haven't watched the drama here..so its confusing since all the details aren't revealed to you guys...

This Bilquees Kaur character is what the whole play revolves around. Actually dear .... in this show...ALL SIKHS are shown as "people of principles" ...while some Muslim characters are shown as "gutless drinkers" , "wife beaters" , "Irresponsible" etc ... Bilquees Kaur goes to Gurdwaras every monday..and pray namaz too..Since she is a woman of principles (unlike her Muslim husband) , she remains ardent Muslim because she made a principle stand of changing its faith when marrying his husband. NOWHERE in this show does Sikhi comes under attacked. Actually , Sikhism is really respected in this show.... Bilquees Kaur's brother , who is Sikh , is portrayed as the "savior" of Bilquees' children when they needed it most...etc..

So kindly , it is YOU who needs to get-off their high horses ....stop complaining about things when there is not even a remote reason of complaining..

There is nothing wrong in the drama.....and yes , this drama as a super hit in Pakistan...this shows that Pakistanis are open-hearted and accept the fact that non-Muslims (Sikhs) can be way more BETTER persons than Muslims (As shown in this drama)....Kindly , watch full drama before jumping your guns....

Auzer brother, I have never seen a show about a Muslim girl converting to Sikhi. So why make one about a Sikh woman converting to Islam? And specifically calling it Bilqees KAUR??? When she clearly degrades Sikhi again and again in the show especially at 17:26. So why name is Bilqees KAUR? Surely they should have expected protest against it and should have foreseen the hurt sentiments of the Sikhs.

Auzer brother, I have never seen a show about a Muslim girl converting to Sikhi. So why make one about a Sikh woman converting to Islam? And specifically calling it Bilqees KAUR??? When she clearly degrades Sikhi again and again in the show especially at 17:26. So why name is Bilqees KAUR? Surely they should have expected protest against it and should have foreseen the hurt sentiments of the Sikhs.

Brother , conversion here is not even a problem...the whole plot of the play was something else! And she is NOT degrading Sikhi...she is just telling her husband that when she converted..she did it with heart because she is a woman of principles...UNLIKE her 'Muslim drunkard husband' ..Read my last reply...I have explain all this....this drama potrays Sikhs BETTER than Muslims... Please read my last post....