Aarti with candles

Singhshaster

Only Five Veerji, Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale writes this in the maryada of what Arti is:

ਆਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਬੈਠ ਕੇ ਪੜਨੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਰਨਾ ਹੀ ਯੋਗ ਹੈ।ਥਾਲ ਵਿਚ ਦੀਵੇ ਬਾਲ ਕੇ ਆਰਤੀ ਦਾ ਖੰਡਨ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਾਂ ਨੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਹੈ।

(It is best to sit and sing Shabads of Aarti. Doing Aarti with lighted lamps in plates has been rejected by Satguruji.)

~~

Sant Gurbachan Singh Bhindranwale says very clearly, aarti da khandan Satguran ne kita hai.

~~

ਹਰ ਪਾਠ ਦੇ ਭੋਗ ਪੈਣ ਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਤੇ ਆਰਤੀ ੳਚਾਰੇ( ਬਿਨਾਂ ਮ੍ਰਿਤਕ ਪਹਿਲੀ ਵਾਰ ਦਾ)

(ਨੋਟ- ਆਰਤੀ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਹੀ ੳਚਾਰਨੇ, ਦੀਵੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਾਲਣੇ)

(At bhog of every Paath, do Kirtan and sing Aarti (except first path of an individual’s death)

(Note- Only Sing Shabads of Aarti, don’t light lamps)

ਆਰਤੀ ੳਚਾਰਨੀ, ਦੀਵੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਬਾਲਣੇ,ਕੇਵਲ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਪੜਨੇ ਅਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਨ ਕਰਨਾ, ਫਿਰ ਕੜਾਹ ਪ੍ਰਸ਼ਾਦ ਵੰਡਣਾ ਅਤੇ ਖੁੱਲਾ ਲੰਗਰ ਕਰਨਾ।

(Do Aarti, don’t light lamps, only read Shabads of Aarti and Do Kirtan, then distribute Karah Parshad and have open Langar )

I have read this and it makes me wonder, what was the reasoning behind Sant ji stating the above. Maybe one of the Taksali Singhs can present the reasoning behind it as Sant ji said.

The reason can be the fact that this was in the days of the birth of Hindu extremism. Sant Ji cleared up all points, otherwise Hindu extremists would have been able to (still are) say that doing aarti with lamps means that Sikhs are Hindus. Shame many Sikhs don't take a lesson from Sant Ji.

Maybe its my shortcomings, but looking at Gurbani, I can't find a shabad that says Aarti should not be done. Hence my need to have an explanation on why Sant ji said it is not allowed. The topic about Sri Chand, Sant ji explains what he says using Bhai Gurdas Ji Vaars. So without anyone doubt Sant ji has explained his answer regarding Aarti and its an important part to this discussion that will brigthen everyones view on the issue. Sant ji has a beautiful way of explaining Sikhi. Sant ji is not one to say something without explaining.

I wonder if there is any accounts of Singhs doing Aarti before Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji Maharaj.

The reason can be the fact that this was in the days of the birth of Hindu extremism. Sant Ji cleared up all points, otherwise Hindu extremists would have been able to (still are) say that doing aarti with lamps means that Sikhs are Hindus. Shame many Sikhs don't take a lesson from Sant Ji.

So singh ji you are suggesting because of fear of "hindu extremism" we should shun away our puratan traditions - arti arta which still goes on in hazoor sahib. I am sorry thats a flawed logic. Even singh ji who is at other side of spectrum disagrees with that logic..its very very dangerous slippery slope as method 1 is now coming back to bite us back:

Method 1:

Keep rejecting everything within Gurmat by reforming traditions/thought/concept within Gurmat (sargun and nirgun), make it more victorian and protestant i.e- abhramic version of God instead of sargun and nirgun of Vahiguroo. Totaly disconnect sikhi from indic culture (tilak ceremony, shastar pooja, raag vidya, nine different types of bhagti on sri guru granth sahib ji, consider sri guru granth sahib ji and guru sahib as avtars not just mere prophet or reformer) and attach it with hippie western/scientific/rational/logical thought.

Quite bluntly thats what bhausaria/kala afghana/anti dasam mindset did, now its coming to bite us back in our arse (outright rejection of sri dasam granth, sri sarbloh granth among traditions listed above).

• 2 weeks later...

So singh ji you are suggesting because of fear of "hindu extremism" we should shun away our puratan traditions - arti arta which still goes on in hazoor sahib. I am sorry thats a flawed logic. Even singh ji who is at other side of spectrum disagrees with that logic..its very very dangerous slippery slope as method 1 is now coming back to bite us back:

I am not saying that. All I am saying is that we should follow Sant Ji's writing on the matter. Again u r the wise one and I just always ask the "controversial", "juicy" topics and am "bored."

At hazoor sahib, arti-arta tradition is been going seena basina along with budda dal panjva takht.

All the mahapursh in the past have encourage students never to criticize takth sahiban maryada and always do satkar of them despite of differences in samparda maryada. In Gurmat Maryada pustak, sant baba gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale mentions how one shouldn't criticize takht sahiban maryada he mentions how he does not agree with arti-arta concept in sachkhand hazoor sahib but despite of that, it holds hazoor sahib maryada at high esteem.

One should take all panj takhth sahiban maryada at very high esteem when they do anything for the panth or in panthic circle but when it comes personal sikhi, one can follow sampardai maryada. It's very simple concept that is still used when you learn sikhi through mahapursh, that avoids all the conflicts of my samparda's maryada is right and others are wrong.

At the end of day,arti-arta just like chaur sahib is part of acharan bhakti (one of 9 bhakti) listed in sri guru granth sahib ji, its way of showing devotion to sargun paratma- saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji..its a ritual..ritual isn't neccessary bad but its the person who is doing the ritual need to have clear understanding or fine line between when ritual is performed as devotion to sargun paratma and when ritual is performed as pure dogma..!!..this applies to pretty much every ritual in the panth not just arti-arta.

At the end of day, its a small thing nothing big too loose your sleep over..!!

If u r reffering to gurmani path darpan for wen sant gurbachan singh ji not agreeing with aarti?? Gurbani path darpan was published by dhumma and written by sodi ji if im correct

Gurbani path darshan was written by sant giani gurbachan singh khalsa please check there and reply i would like to know for my own information thank you

At hazoor sahib, arti-arta tradition is been going seena basina along with budda dal panjva takht.

All the mahapursh in the past have encourage students never to criticize takth sahiban maryada and always do satkar of them despite of differences in samparda maryada. In Gurmat Maryada pustak, sant baba gurbachan singh ji bhindranwale mentions how one shouldn't criticize takht sahiban maryada he mentions how he does not agree with arti-arta concept in sachkhand hazoor sahib but despite of that, it holds hazoor sahib maryada at high esteem.

One should take all panj takhth sahiban maryada at very high esteem when they do anything for the panth or in panthic circle but when it comes personal sikhi, one can follow sampardai maryada. It's very simple concept that is still used when you learn sikhi through mahapursh, that avoids all the conflicts of my samparda's maryada is right and others are wrong.

At the end of day,arti-arta just like chaur sahib is part of acharan bhakti (one of 9 bhakti) listed in sri guru granth sahib ji, its way of showing devotion to sargun paratma- saroop of sri guru granth sahib ji..its a ritual..ritual isn't neccessary bad but its the person who is doing the ritual need to have clear understanding or fine line between when ritual is performed as devotion to sargun paratma and when ritual is performed as pure dogma..!!..this applies to pretty much every ritual in the panth not just arti-arta.

At the end of day, its a small thing nothing big too loose your sleep over..!!

If u r reffering to gurmani path darpan for wen sant gurbachan singh ji not agreeing with aarti?? Gurbani path darpan was published by dhumma and written by sodi ji if im correct

Gurbani path darshan was written by sant giani gurbachan singh khalsa please check there and reply i would like to know for my own information thank you