Prime Minister Harper assures India, Canada is against Khalistan

Singh23

The irony here is that more people in the world would have heard of a 'Khalistan' than known that Canada had a prime minister called Harper.

Now that we know who he is, ask him about the Scottish people then. Lets see how he views some humans as more human than others. Having been to the Toronto area a few times I noticed how a very large proportion of the towns, roads etc of Toronto, Brampton and Mississauga are named after Scottish clans etc.

Dare him to make a similar statement about the concept of Britain and a separate Scotland. Get your media to expose his hypocracy.

The problem, as I see it, is widespread apathy among the young generation of Canadian Sikhs, when it comes to Sikh rights. The situation in Canada is the direct opposite of the situation in the UK. Whilst in the UK it is the young generation who are at the forefront of Sikh rights, in Canada the young are more interested in calling themselves Dave and Sue and joining the mainstream. The freshies, as are the freshies in the UK, are busy planting roots.

I know Canada well. I've seen how the movement is almost entirely made up of old timers. Once the old timers go, the movement will be non-existent in Canada. India knows that. In places such as the UK, Italy etc, the Sikhs manage to get many MP's, city Mayors and the media on its side. In Canada, as I see it, politicians, the media, society and even the community themselves line up to take pot shots at the Sikhs. That ain't gonna change 'till the younger educated generation start taking control. We've seen that in Scotland. The young generation of Scots have pushed aside the older apathetic Scots, made their voice heard and forced the British government to hold an independence referendum.

The odd thing about these articles is they all seem to suggest 'Khalistanis' are confined to BC. Anyone who has been to Ontario will know this is far from the truth.

Senior UK politicians are much clever at avoiding public statements during such visits as they know the Sikh community is fairly well organised to create a big fuss, usually through opposition MPs. India appears to be more concerned with putting senior Canadian politicians on the spot and forcing them to respond publicly - this is partly because these senior politicians are seen more frequently at Sikhs events than is the case in the UK.

I agree Canadain Sikhs need to do much more around these visits to challenge Canadian politicians before they go and when they get back - use the opposition where possible.

There is no power on earth that can stop the peaceful democratic and human right of self determination of Khalistan. So do not worry guys just keep supporting Khalistan peaceful more and more until it stings the Indian government they will have to come to the realization that Khalistan issue wont go away and will have to give justice for 1984 and negotiate the terms of how Khalistan is going to be shaped within the Indian Union or totally independent and azad. The only thing Canadian government can do in assuring the Indian congress terrorist party government about Khalistan is keeping a check on armed Khalistan separatist groups, which are non-existent these days as laws came in banning support for them in the early 2000s. So they tie the hand of the armed forces of yet to be liberated smaller nations while letting the big bully boys like India and its massive armed forces carry on killing minorities of smaller nations trapped within its borders with an array of weapons and they stop the peaceful democratic support of self determination with arrest of people like bhai daljit bittu among others and framed on trumped up charges. This is the insanity of the current geo-political world and this is why Sikhs need to wake up get into politics or be potatoes naam jaap 24/7 (which even the guru's never did) and see the enemy slap your face time and time again.

This is why the Indian intelligence agencies along with Canadian agencies might try to collude together like they did in air india incident in a dirty plot to malign the Sikh community and try to derail support for the Khalistan movement once again. So Sikhs need to be VERY vigilant to agent provocateurs (who may call for violence) and make sure these kind of agents are outted so the community can see whats going on.

Another thing is we need to look at the other separatist independence movements across the world for example Quebec, Catalan, Scottish, etc see how they have been slowly gaining support and getting more autonomy as a result. This is the model to follow in an era where politics of the pen is mightier than the sword.

Some good points West London Singh ji.

The canadian youth are very different to the youth in UK by far.

I am from UK and have been here for a few years now and you can't help noticing the differences.

It's true that it's the old timers involved and also some of the fresh from Punjab youth which they don't call 'freshies' here but we call them 'dippers'- I'm not sure where it comes from!!!!

Anyway, the 2nd and 3rd generation are way too gorafied and don't have much interest unlike the generations in UK.

Canada is still very behind and is where UK punjabies were in the 70's since the majority are still 1st generation punjabis.