kirpan necklace

Guest ravinder kaur

Guest ravinder kaur

hi i jus took amrit last month and no in my family knew as i wore my kakkars gupt but then my dad saw it and was not pleased, anyway they told me that I can't wear a kipran in the gatra as it is dangerous for me when sleeping etc, anyway they told me to wear the kirpan around my neck, is this accpetable I have asked other singhnia and they told me that you should not wear your kirpan as a necklace and should always be worn as a gatra, is there something wrong with wearing it as necklace or is it accpetable please tell me.

what does kirpan mmean, ask yourself; 'could you defend a poor and helples person, or yourself, in a really really bad situation with a tiny kirpan in your neck?'. Im sure the answer will be 'no!'. tell your dad that there's no point wearing one in your neck. Same with kanga, you cannot come your hair with a plastic 2cm kanga lookalike. So, my point is, basically, the purpose of a kirpan is 'kirpa' and 'aan'. im not encouraging you to use a kirpan in a day to day typical fight, but if a bad situation arises then a necklace kirpan will NOT do the job. It is maryada.

Sorry for saying anything out of gurmat.

Gurfateh bhenji. The rehat maryada is to have it on in the Gatra. The gatra cloth can be of many types if you are allergic of one type and they come in may sizes... You have taken amrit for yourself and you should not be ashamed of it in any way or think it would hurt if you wear it in gatra.

Guest Kirpa-Aan

Some say you MUST wear it as a gatra; others say you MUST wear it around the neck.

Who do you follow? family member or forum member?

Only you can decide!!

Your family dont understand the rituals of wearing the 5K's and the singhnia's/forum members dont understand your family issues.

Both sides will say it is a simple, straightforward choice. Only you truely appreciate this conundrum.

Some say you MUST wear it as a gatra; others say you MUST wear it around the neck.

Who do you follow? family member or forum member?

Only you can decide!!

Your family dont understand the rituals of wearing the 5K's and the singhnia's/forum members dont understand your family issues.

Both sides will say it is a simple, straightforward choice. Only you truely appreciate this conundrum.

Your wrong.

Ravinder Bhenji... Congratulations on being blessed with Amrit. You have given your head to Guru Jee. Now you face a test. If it is a hard decision to make, go back to the Panj Pyares and ask for their guidance as ultimately their decision is final.

One little related experience. I was outside an Amrit Sanchar a few months back and an elderly bibi was in two minds about taking Amrit and didn't go in. One of the Panj Pyares came to the door and starting talking with her, they asked if she kept rehat, wore kakaar etc. She said to wearing kakaar and pointed to the little kirpan she had on a necklace and the Singh (Panj) was quite clear saying that a little kirpan round your neck is not a kirpan. A proper kirpan should be worn in a gatra. They also mentioned it is not you who take care of your Kakaar, your Kakaar take care of you.

Regarding safety of kirpan whilst sleeping, I do not know of anybody who was ever hurt by Kirpan whilst sleeping. From personal experience, just in our house parents have been Amritdhari for 15+ years each, Grandma 10+ years, me, wife & brother 4+ years each and we all wear our Kirpans to sleep and no-one has ever been hurt by them or had any issues.