Bal Thackrey passes away

JSinghnz

I just got this quote from someone facebook account:

Such was his hold that not a single Sikh family was touched in Mumbai in 1984 when the national capital delhi was burning ...such was the power of Saheb who had given the call that no Sikh would be harmed - My Salutations to this powerful personality Balasaheb Thackeray

Squads of ShivSainiks patrolled Sikh colonies to ensure no congressi wandered around

-Very inspiring, and I hope it's true. Do you have a reference for the story?

i am a mumbaikar myself ..i have seen him closely since i was a child..He had kept Guru Gobindsingh ji's photoframe in the Sena Bhavan which is the Shiv Sena headquarters

Not sure how true is this? Can anyone confirm?

mehtab singh you are sot on with your post why would people who burn dastars, burn effigies of sikh hereos,offer to hang innocent sikh political prisoners regularly beat sikhs with the help of the police protect sikhs for reasons other then money or power also keep in mind that after indira was brought to justice rajiv ghandi won in a landslide election because all the right wing hindus who usually vote bjp voted for congress because of the pro-hindu anti-sikh propoganda the congress party was putting out but remember that we cant confuse these shiv sena,rss clowns with ordinary hindus who saved sikhs out of the goodness of there hearts instead of political reasons

He did praise Indira Gandhi for carrying out attack on the heart of Sikhi in June 1984. At the same time, its also true that the Shiv Sainiks did offer protection/security to Sikhs in November 1984. This I know from a Gursikh friend of mine from Mumbai who was old enough in 1984 when it happened. But it was all political. Thackeray wanted to show his power, he wanted to show how Mumbai was better/safer than Delhi, and he wanted to show he was NOT anti-Sikhs the way Congress was.

Just yesterday I saw on NDTV that it was in 1984 when BJP and Shiv Sena came together as political allies. Ask why. Answer is because Congress had a huge wave of Hindu sympathy towards Rajiv after his mother was killed, and these Sangh stooges HAD TO come together to ensure the non-Hindu (especially Sikh) vote bank. Also, in 1993 when Mumbai was burning in riots, these Shiv Sainiks were offering protection to the rich Bohri Gujarati Muslims and were paid well to do so. Again, this is a personal account of my Muslim flatmate from college who was in his teens in Mumbai when the 1993 riots happened.

Bottom line, whatever "good" or "bad" these guys do, its got nothing to do with religion or culture or ethics. Its all about power and/or money, period. Whatever rocks their boat to get them power/money, they'll do it. If they offered security to Sikhs back then, well, good job. Maybe it satisfied their political interests back then to do so. What they did after that is equally worth condemning.

Sikh Leaders in Mumbai did ask for his help and he did offer it by ordering to make sure that no Sikh is harmed under his watch. So Kudos to him for doing this.

Actually Maharashtrians who know the history of India and especially the Sikhs, respect the Sikhs alot, they particularily like or you can say envy Kalgidhar Siri SatGuru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj.

FYI, The Shiv Sena he created is in honour of Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, who created the Maratha Empire (very good person) and not Shiv Ji the God of death. The Shiv Sena in Punjab which burnt a saffron coloured turban recently are not part of his organisation, this new group claims to be the army of Shiv Ji.

The Sikh vote bank in Mumbai is nothing really, nothing to go out of your way to gain their votes and back in 84, well thats 28 years ago when the Sikh population wasn't as much as it is today, today there may be alot more than back then.

remember that we cant confuse these shiv sena,rss clowns with ordinary hindus who saved sikhs out of the goodness of there hearts instead of political reasons

Hanji very true
Actually Maharashtrians who know the history of India and especially the Sikhs, respect the Sikhs alot, they particularily like or you can say envy Kalgidhar Siri SatGuru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaaj.
That is correct, Marathis have a lot of respect for Dasmesh Pita jee.