Small Question (about lying and joke lying)

jpsingh2

What about lying about your religion to save yourself? I'm reminded of a sakhi where Muslims were looking for Sikhs to kill and they asked one young man. He said he was a Sikh. His mother said "No, he's a Hindu" in order to save him. Yet despite this, the man was defiant and openly declared his Sikhi. I think he then was killed.

Yet Guru Ji in the form of Guru Gobind Singh was called Uch da Pir in order to escape Mughal capture. Not sure if it was him or more likely the Sikhs who were with him. It was to protect Guru Ji so I figure Guru Ji would have forgave them.

I think lying to obtain a dishonest point eg lying about stealing or other wrong doing is wrong but as above, lying to protect the truth, the innocent etc should be acceptable though I suspect is still a sin.

That's a good point. I was listening to katha by Giani Maskeen Ji, and they were doing vichaar about lying, truth, and how these things tie into maryada, i.e. maryada in terms of a person's personal philosophy and approach to living, personal principles, etc. They basically used an example of two Hindu deities / figures: Ram (from the Ramayan) and Krishna (from the Mahabharata), and made the distinction that one of these figures is rather more popular amongst the masses because of his actions throughout his life whereby he had to flout maryada many times (e.g. telling Yudhistra to lie and say that Ashwathama was dead), whilst the former resolutely stuck to maryada even when others thought he was being unnecessarily harsh (e.g. banishing Sita because he thought she'd been with Ravan even when it was clear she hadn't), therefore the latter is seen as slightly "square" and unsympathetic by the public.