DIVERSITY DONT WORK IN TH UK

Hammertime007

There was a reason Gurudwaras were built like castles 200 years ago. All Sikh villages and towns back then also had defensive ditches and ramparts around them along with a fort. The world is an ugly place and other cultures/races are very different when you take your eye off them.

Sikhs only learn when it kicks off.

I think in some regions of the UK segregation is really bad and over the top.

In my local Gurwara in East Midlands non-Sikhs use Gurghar facilities such as the gym, play groups etc I find the west midlands and west london from what I have seen quite segregated.

I have a black friend that comes visit often and feels completely comfortable going to a Gurdwara here because he says people are welcoming but he said he wouldn't dare go into a Gurdwara in West Midlands where he is looked at with suspicion... he understands a little punjabi and would often hear "choor".

I think with segregation comes suspicion and tension in a community. It is no wonder where in the UK is more segregation you are more likely to find race riots and ethnic tension. Thankfully for now Leicester seems safe from such problems.

Also some of my friends (from different races/religions) say they would feel at risk walking in certain areas at night just because of their ethnicity in Birmingham? This I find Bizarre...

On the other hand we as Sikhs are segregated along caste and ethnicity lines (Afghans) ourselves anyway. hmmm...

I'm from Leicester which is a heavily Asian area and I've always felt comfortable there.

Now I'm studying medicine in London, and I was initially apprehensive, but it's amazing how much diversity there is here, and how accepting people are! Haven't once felt threatened or intimidated, it's great here, haven't experienced any racism - and everyone I meet knows I'm a Sikh and who Sikhs are! :)

I wish people were more accepting in other areas of the UK - I've had strange looks when I've visited areas which are more "white". I guess it's just down to not enough education about other faiths - I was taught about Sikhi back in RE at school, but I'm sure in many schools in the UK (esp. faith schools) they don't teach Sikhi.

Let's be frank, some areas of the UK are better in terms of cohesion than others. Making blanket statements is dumb.

At the end of the day, people like living with their own people. Do you think the people in Punjab are happy with all the migrants from UP and Bihar?

How would you feel if you were living in Punjab and all your neighbours were from those states?

Where does that put us as a minority group whose now spread itself throughout the globe? Aren't we 'Biharis' out here in the west?

Where does that put us as a minority group whose now spread itself throughout the globe? Aren't we 'Biharis' out here in the west?

Unfortunately Punjab and India are poor, corrupt places with not many prospects. Due to the extremely high population and quota systems it seems you need to know the right people to get somewhere.

Not to mention it's a poorly run place with bad human rights. Life is cheap there.

I'm sure we get treated better here than the Biharis in Punjab.

Discrimination is everywhere, in the UK it's not that bad.

Quite frankly Punjabis and all Indians cannot be trusted to run a place, we are too corrupt morally and financially.