Sikh turbans and helmets

Shastar Man

wjkk wjkf,

I was wondering if someone could help me. I wear a turban, but need to work at the top of a building from work. This is 13/14 storey's high. We are currently doing a risk assessment at work. We have been on the 'training at heights course' etc and have all the PPE. The current legislation says that 'turban wearing sikhs are exempt from wearing a helmet on construction sites'. Any other place of work they may be breaching the law.

Could someone give me details if they know of any cases where turban wearing sikhs are exempt from wearing a helmet on top of the building. Or can someone give me contact details for the sikh council / sikh federation uk.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

wjkk wjkf

Gurfateh!

Veer Ji please click on the link below to give you the UK legal view:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/38/crossheading/removal-of-restrictions-and-other-requirements-relating-to-employment#text%3Dsikh%20turban

This should give you all the information you may need for your reference.

Stay safe! :biggrin2:

Bhul chuk maaf!

Gurfateh!!

wjkk wjkf,

Veerji, many thanks for the information. However, I am still unsure if it is ok for me to go and work on a roof top of a 13 storey building? It would be great if I had an example of a sikh

working up on a building rooftop who was allowed to wear a turban.

Surely, this can't be the first time that this has happened?

wjkk wjkf

Paji you might also be able to get something from the HSE or if the CDM specifically mentions about GurSikh operatives on the job. On private non-NHBC type jobs up to say 5/6 storeys nobody from the HSE or building control nobody usually says anything about turbans in lieu of helmets (obviously with lower risks involved) but I can see you might face opposition at a larger job, at greater height of the kind you mention, so best to take a printout of the relavant legislation and keep it with you. Good luck!