Ehinic origin on application forms etc.

kings99

WAHE GURU JI KA KHALSA,

WAHE GURU JI KI FATEH

I was just watching the news here in the UK, and Jack Straw (British Foreign Sec.) was addressing the UN. One of the things he was talking about was global terrorism. He said (something like) it affected us all, whether we we Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu, SIKH or Bhuddist.

We are taught in school that these are the 6 largest religions, yet the option for a persons ethinic background on forms etc. in the UK does not include Sikh/Punajbi/Khalistani.

I know that the options are added after the results of a census depending on how many people are of a certain faith, ethnicity, job etc. I think that the 'target' is 40,000 people (nationwide) to add it to forms. This was the target for people who wanted 'Jedi' as an official faith. Im pretty sure there are more than 40,000 Sikhs in the UK, so why isn't it an option?

I remember reading and article a while a go that said it was going to be looked into and would most likely be added officially. Usually i end up ticking the box for Asian-British. I have ticked other, and written Sikh.

Anyone know who i need to write to about this? Thanks. :TH:

If it's really not an option then maybe you should try to get in touch with other Singhs who are concerned about this, and for the next census, send out a small pamphlet to all the Sikhs in the UK telling them to fill "Other: Sikh" instead of "Asian-British"

Sikhi is a whole nation / culture/ government / police / army / society of its own

what i do on any form is tick the other box and write Sikh british. through a house of lords thing sikhs should be entered seperatly but they arent.

I usually tick the other box usually next to chinese and then write next to it.

There is a difference between ethnic background and religion so I'm not sure which you're referring to.

On application forms etc in the part where you are asked to choose your ethnic background thats exactly what it is - ethnic background. That is where you are originally from or your parents, i.e. your ethnicity. For example Indian/Punjabi, Pakistani/ Brazilian, African, Oriental etc etc. never on any form I have filled out have I seen the option muslim/christian/sikh etc, no religion is there unless it specifically asks for your religion. Maybe you have come across forms where it says ethnic origin and includes muslim/christian etc but I never have. Ethnic background is where they put white/Asian/Black and all those not where religion is.

In my view ethnic background is different to your religion, so it does not surprise me that on ethnic background forms sikh doesnt appear because in my experience nor does any other religion. Maybe they should include the option of Punjabi in ethnic background but not Sikh because not all Sikhs are necessarily punjabi.. if you see my point :lol:

Usually i end up ticking the box for Asian-British. I have ticked other, and written Sikh.

If they are asking for your ethnic origin then yes Asian british i

s correct because your ethnicity is a british asian. But your religion is Sikhism these are two separate things. Sikh should be an option in the religion category but not necessarily in the ethnic background category because sying you are Sikh does not tell them what part of the world you originate from which is what ethnic backgreound describes.

The people primarly from norther part of CUrrent india is not of Indian origin. We never were. Going back to history we are not Indians but after 1947 we are being labeled as Indian.

*btw.. this post is nothing to do with indian govt and it's policies and so on.. just an opinion of mine :lol:

if they ask for ethnic background i would think yes, that's your culture i.e. south asian, southeast asian, australian, east asian, middle eastern, northern european, aboriginal north american, aboriginal south american, brazillian, russian, north african, south african, etc. etc. etc. etc.

if they ask for nationality i would think that's thai, malaysian, indian, pakistani, russian, greek, italian, canadian, etc. etc. and SIKH (sikh is a nationality as sikhs are a seperate nation)

"if they ask for nationality i would think that's thai, malaysian, indian, pakistani, russian, greek, italian, canadian, etc. etc. and SIKH (sikh is a nationality as sikhs are a seperate nation) "

Sikh as an ethnic group or a nationality goes against the bases of what Guru Nanak proclaimed a Sikh was.

If SIKH is an ethnic group or nationality, than that means one can merely be "born" Sikh, and that would make them Sikh...rather than practicing and being/becoming a Sikh.

You get my point? You should NOT help Sikh become an ethnic group or nationality.

You can be born American, Asian, etc..

You can not be born Sikh...it is something you become. Thats how Guru Nanak wanted it.