Simran or paath?

simmal tree

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

I would like to hear what some of you guys think....is there any difference between doing paath( the 5 banis) and simran....i mean if you don't know all the banis....and you prefer ...doing simran is that alright?.....i know i can learn the 5 banis eventually but the question :

is doing the 5 banis a must ?

if all u like to do is simran......i mean is it okay?.................sorry if this question sounds stupid but forgive me cuz i'm not that smart.... :lol: ...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading bani is a different thing from doing simran/naam abhiyaas. And yes, reading Punj Bania is a MUST for all Gursikhs.

Once Baba Harnaam Singh Ji was doing path and a Shaheed Singh comes to him and tells him to get ready because Guru Sahib was coming to give him his darshan. So Baba Ji comes out of his room and he see Guru Gobind Singh Ji riding his horse towards Baba Ji with 4 other Singhs. When Guru Sahib reaches Baba Ji, they both exchange fateh and then Guru Sahib leaves without saying anything else. Baba Ji gets really sad and asks the other Singh why Guru Sahib didn't talk about anything else and that Singh tells him that Guru Sahib was very happy at him because of his seva/simran but since he didn't read the punj bania in the morning he didn't get all of Guru ji's happiness. And then Baba Harnaam Singh Ji understood and told the Singh that he doesn't do Jaap Sahib Ji's path because it's too hard but instead he always does one Sukhmani Sahib. Then the Singh told him that it's good to do as much path as possible but it's a must to follow hukam of the Punj Pyare. After hearing this Baba Ji slowly memorized Jaap Sahib and started doing it everyday!

And Bhai Rama Singh Ji writes of a story in his book Manmukh to Gursikh that there was a Singh who read lots of Bani but he didn't do any simran so he had to take another janam in a Sikh family to jap naam.

So it's important to read bani and do simran. This tells me I need to straighten myself up :lol:

Our panj payareh gave us hukum to read 5 bania, therefore that is a minimum we must do. Any extra is just better, but 5 is absolute minimum.

There is noway you can replace your 5 nitnem bania with simran, they have to be done bro.

Met a chardikala singh the other day, he was doing katha about how he saw some singh in punjab have ishnaan outside a gurdwara sahib, walk inside do some jakareh and then walk back out and start on with his business. the first singh asked him, did you just do your morning nitnem ishnaan, and if so how did u manage to do your nitnem so fast?!!

The second guy replied that he had never learnt a single letter of punjabi/gurmukhi, therefore he went into the gurdwara sahib, did 5 jakareh and THAT THESE 5 JAKAREH were his nitnem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

crazy hey!

Penji im the worst for saying this, may guru ji forgive me for being a hypocrite, but why dont we have enough time to do our nitnem? There are 24 hours in the day, lets say its takes 1 hr to do your nitnem nicely.

there still 23 hours of the day left, plenty of time to do anything else, (again may guru ji forgive me)

The panj pyareh never gave us the option of do ur simran or mool mantar or nitnem. they said YOU MUST DO 5 BANIS NITNEM its hukum simple as that, we cant mess around with that, of course with guru ji's kirpa we should do as much simran and mool mantar as we can on top of our nitnem but it cant be a replacement.

Simran has its shakti, mool mantar has its shakti and the 5 bania have their own shakti, guru ji selected what he knew was best for us, i.e. in the morning 5 bania. He could have said anything, but this is the hukum of our father and we must listen and obey it.

Singh was saying the same thing a few days ago, that we as sikhs have lost the pyaar to read more and more gurbani!! Lets be honest how many of us read any more gurbani over and above the minimum?

I have no idea of which different bania are there to read because i have never 'found the time' to read them, so one must ask what type of sikh am i, that does not even have the love to read the bani of the very guru who i claim to LOVE so much?!

Guru Ji wrote so much gurbani for a reason, not for us just to read a little and ignore the rest, its is vitally important that we start reading some seriously heavy amounts of gurbani!!

The older singhs tell us that before this generation, the nitnem for singhs would be 5 bania and then the rest from t

he panj granthi. Which includes (pls correct if wrong, im way way way way way way below the avastha of reading panj granthi!) sukhmani sahib, japji sahib, asa di //, sidh gost, bavan akhari, dukhuni oankar and anand sahib!

Guru ji please give us all the strength and love to read your own bachan, written by your own pen, your own gurbani!

Guest SikhForLife
why is it that many people who don't follow all of guru's hukam -- like amrit vela, nitnem --- still get darshan?

who knows.. God can do watever .. whoever he shows his mercy to..