How to Sharpen Puratan Shastars?

My kirpan was not sharp when I purchased it...I was not finding ways to sharp my kirpan....

I went to 2-3 shops which sharps knife...n scissors....

But I dont know y but they said we don't sharp kirpan :( :(

Then one day one Muslim came near my home....he had that wheel type machine to sharp things.....

Then I asked him to sharp my kirpan...n actually I was happy to see a muslim sharping Sikh's kirpan......:)

My kirpan was not sharp when I purchased it...I was not finding ways to sharp my kirpan....

I went to 2-3 shops which sharps knife...n scissors....

But I dont know y but they said we don't sharp kirpan :( :(

Then one day one Muslim came near my home....he had that wheel type machine to sharp things.....

Then I asked him to sharp my kirpan...n actually I was happy to see a muslim sharping Sikh's kirpan...... :)

so sharp ho gayi?dass ne ve karani hai.......... :sad2:

See muslims are good for something.

Personally speaking I would prefer a whetting stone but unfortunately my kirpan is one of those cheap made in China/ given out by Gurughar one. Need a good, cheap black smith who can make me one of my own design. No such person in NZ, where I live.

How does a butcher sharpen his knife? their work depends on having sharp blades. Perhaps we can learn from them about how to sharpen our Kirpans because the meat of an animal is not much different from the meat of a human. I've heard that the knives of the butcher are so sharp that they can cut through bone.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

that is good too

but it only gives edge temporarily

1) its more like saw on miniature level , we cant see that , its temporary

2) you make it more fine it smoothenes more

3) more smooth

the more fine grit stone you will use, the more sharp and longer lasting edge will be achived

japanese katana is sharpened the same way

The Basic Do's and Don'ts of Sword Sharpening

• DON'T attempt to sharpen swords that are antiques leave that to the experts, otherwise you will almost certainly destroy their value. but if you're not keeping anti for its value and know a little to sharpen , please try on other objects first then proceed to your weapon
  • DON'T use normal power tools to sharpen swords unless you REALLY know what you are doing. For a start, it's extremely dangerous. Secondly, the friction can heat up the blade, ruining the swords temper and heat treatment, and it's all too easy to lose the swords geometry.
  • DO be very careful and patient when sharpening swords. More accidents occur when performing sword maintenance than at any other time, so make sure that you are paying 100% attention to what you are doing and eliminate outside distractions.
  • DO get some practice on a cheap stainless steel wall hanger before attempting to sharpen a more valuable sword. You will probably destroy the geometry of the first few blades you try and sharpen so if something is going to end up messed up, it's better a machete or a stainless steel wall hanger (just don't use it to try and cut stuff with).