Duality?

Duality is like being double-minded or saying one thing but doing another.

For example, there may be a person who by his appearance looks like a good Sikh and by his outward actions and clothing he may seem pure, but if inside he is consumed by kaam, krodh, lobh, moh and ahankaar then that is duality. If a man has a full dhari and wears a dastar but drinks alcohol, then that is duality. If a girl is amritdhari, wears a dastar and still does beadbi of kesh then that is duality.

Another example, someone who comes into Guru Ji's darbar, and matha teks. By doing matha tek, he is saying Guru Ji everything I have is yours, I sacrifice my dhan man tan to you. By bowing before Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji and all of the teachings and hukams and wisdom contained within Guru Ji, we are saying I accept everything and will follow them. Yet, if you matha tek to Guru Ji but refuse to follow gurmat then that is duality- something which a lot of us are guilty of (me included). Doing matha tek should not just be a ritual or something that we do without thinking about what it actually means. Doing namaskar to Guru Ji and bowing your head means giving up your mind, body and soul and following the path set by Guru Ji and giving up manmat to become a true Gurmukh.

Duality is like having one foot in one boat and then the other foot in a different boat- you will never reach your destination instead you will sink.

Sorry I don't think I explained this very well but I hope you get the general idea of what I am trying to say.

This is what Guru Angad Dev Ji says on ang number 1037:

ਸਲਾਮੁ ਜਬਾਬੁ ਦੋਵੈ ਕਰੇ ਮੁੰਢਹੁ ਘੁਥਾ ਜਾਇ

Salam Jabab Dhovai Karae Mundtahu Ghuthha Jae ||

One who offers both respectful greetings and rude refusal to his master, has gone wrong from the very beginning.

ਨਾਨਕ ਦੋਵੈ ਕੂੜੀਆ ਥਾਇ ਕਾਈ ਪਾਇ

Naanak Dhovai Koorreea Thhae N Kaee Pae ||2||

O Nanak, both of his actions are false; he obtains no place in the Court of the Lord. ||2||

Actually that is the most probable idea of duality that we assume, but it is entirely correct and valid !

However, the duality in gurbani is MUCH MUCH more than this.

It is the whole duality of the God consciousness and the Maya and material world.

In fact, I was just writing this and N30Singh has added the reply above which is very precise.

Another simple way of looking at it is to think about How God existed as a supreme consciousness before being completely formless and then he created the creation that we live in.

Thus, man was created and man assumed his ego that further separated him into the material world.

Deeper meaning of duality is to see two - seeing god different from its creation as opposed to see Ek jot light eveywhere in everything. Presence of ego causes dualism, if there is no ego there is no dualism-dvaish and partiality.

Dualism is extradited by contemplating on gur shabad- vahiguroo, self equiry of one self..Our true nature is non dualistic ( as we originated from One (ikgonkar) will eventually go back in One (Ikongkar).

Yup this is quite true....coz SGGS g talks about ego many time repeatedly......

What I understood is..we know one God who is true n is creator of this world....he is above all..still we as human have our ego n coz of which we sometimes think that we r more then him.... Right??

Means ego is "I/ME" in humans right?

Please let me know if I m right or wrong

Yep, the ego (haumai) is everything that makes the person you.

If you strip and take it all down then you are left with the 'true' you which is part of the 'true' him.

To help us with stripping this ego we must first start living and accepting everything as entirely his Hukam.

All our actions and conduct are governed by him.

He gives us this self contained free-will, which is still governed by him, but it makes us feel we are in control.

Humility also plays a huge role in helping us shed our ego and haumai.

A very simpler way of looking at it as a Sikh is to think of killing it !!!

A gurmukh becomes such when he/she is jeevan mukht, means liberated and free whilst living.

This is in contrast to ancient scriptures and other faiths where it implies that one can only be mukht after dying!

However, gurbani instructs us differently and ensures that we can be mukht whilst alive. This is only achieved by death or dying of the mind ego and haumai.

Yes, a gursikh must think about and act this 'death' or suicide of haumai.

To be dead whilst still alive is often quoted in gurbani.