Guru Granth Sahib In Homes

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Just wanted to get teh sangat's thought as to keeping maharaj di beed at home, why or why not. At my house we got pothis of SGGS with arth and sakhi, I beleive that's the best way to learn from your Guru, and also giving it the same respect.

This raises another question, should you keep the pothis in a closet (is it ok?) or have the pothis on a daybed/high seat of some sort, obviously clean sheets, and decorated because its still Gurbani.

Anyways, what you guys think? :T:

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

If you look at some of the event in Sikh history where Some of our Guru ji's i.e Guru NAnak Dev ji, Guru Hargobind singh ji have gone to a GurSikh's house and eaten the most humblest of meal prepared with love, while sitting on the floor then it would be obvious that Guru ji's don't want Beautiful Beds and Clothes and Meal. All they want is GurSikh's Pyaar and shardha.

Guru Granth Sahib ji should be treated the same way. If a sikh can afford a Seperate room for Guru ji then He/She should place SGGS ji in their own room and a bed. But If Love for the Guru ji is not there then Placing Guru ji in a Palace will not make a difference.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Guest mehtab

Maharaja Ranjit Singh had SGGS parkash in the topmost room in his palace. Some people do be-adbee by keeping SGGS in basement or behind staircases (i heard in a katha). As far as possible, try to keep SGGS at the best place in your home :D

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

I know these gursikhs who have so much pyaar.. they only live in a one bedroom small apartment. They gave master bedroom to guru sahib... looks so beautiful.. They sleep outside int he common area on the floor.

so much sharda...

Sat Sri Akal:

A Sikh (amritdhari) is required to keep a Guru Grath Sahib in their house to do Sudhharan Paath each day (read a little bit at a time from startto finish).

Should it be allowed? ABSOLUTELY! The alternative is Sikhism turning into Catholics, where the priests have all the knowledge and use it to manipulate the common folk.

Solution? Only authorized shops/gurudwaras should be able to hand over a Guru Granth Sahib Bir to a person, and upon an oath of treating the Guru Saroop with proper respect. This should also count for volumed study sets.

Should it be allowed? ABSOLUTELY! The alternative is Sikhism turning into Catholics, where the priests have all the knowledge and use it to manipulate the common folk.
Exactly....
Some people do be-adbee by keeping SGGS in basement or behind staircases (i heard in a katha). As far as possible, try to keep SGGS at the best place in your home

Agree.. I so agree that we should keep guru granth sahib jee downstairs while there is room upstairs.. BUT in some situation it's understandable and okay, for example living in bottom level apartment or Condo etc while having no control of upstairs rooms.... u know what i mean..

We have a cool big hut around the garden only made for guru sahib jee and im in charge of interior decoration :nihungsmile:

Guest mehtab
I so agree that we should keep guru granth sahib jee downstairs while there is room upstairs

U meant we shouldn't keep SGGS jee downstairs while there is room upstairs :D