British Supermarket Policy On Halal Meat

Jeevan

Stunning is the process of rendering animals immobile or unconscious, without killing the animal, prior to their being slaughtered for food

What does this mean - "Animal is stunned before slaughter?"

In modern slaughterhouses a variety of stunning methods are used on livestock. Methods include:

• Electrical stunning
  • Gas stunning
  • Percussive stunning

What can you expect from people who believe animals have no souls. As for Sikhs who are jumping on the meat bandwagon. Wonder who are the real animals- Humans?

Basically if you want to eat non halal buy organic which costs more hence more profit for supermarkets etc. which to quite be honest from what i can remember when i ate meat, organic and non tastes no different and is just a con.

Simple stop eating meat and then who care where it comes from !!

If you cannot be certain of the origin or slaughter method of the meat your purchasing or eating dont eat it. I.E: If you cannot verify it's Jhatka then dont eat it... Pretty simple. But I agree we need to get trafe bodies like trading standards and Food Standards Agency involved here, the consumer needs to know what they are buying, if the meat is halal it should be clearly labelled on the packaging so that those who do not want to eat halal meat should have the freedom of choice to make that decision, surely it's illegal to force halal or kosher meat onto people.

• 3 weeks later...

Please see below on how Halal meat in a democracy has been sneaked through the back door from a major British supermarket:-

Thank you for your response to my colleague XXXX email.

I am sorry to hear that you feel our reply cannot be trusted.

Please allow me to assure you that like all other major UK supermarkets, we source from suppliers who serve Muslim as well as non-Muslim customers. Some of these suppliers process all their meat to Halal standards. For example, all our New Zealand lamb meets Halal standards. In these cases, all of our processes still meet the same stringent animal welfare requirements and all animals are stunned prior to slaughter whether the meat is sold as Halal or non-Halal.

With this in mind we also understand that some customers do not want to eat meat that has been blessed. For these customers, we are able to guarantee that our British Organic lamb as well as British Organic, Willow Farm and Finest Free Range chicken has not received a Halal blessing.

Thanks again for taking the time to get in touch, I do hope the above information is helpful.

Kind regards

XXXX Customer Service

The above is not case of whether Sikhs should be eating meat or not as Gurbani is clear we as Sikhs should NOT eat meat. The issue is how one religion is forcing it's will on the majority and companies lacking the courage to be accountable & transparent to its consumers.

This is an example of companies and supermarkets seeing a gap in the market and fulfilling customer needs. All about $$$$$$