Sign in to follow this  
Guest Happy

Kara At Work

Guest Happy

WJKK WJKFateh,

I'll be starting a new job at the end of February in a hospital.

They need you to be bare below the elbows.

If I'm told to take my kara off (for safety or hygiene), is there any reason I can give for keeping it on?

Thank youuu :)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Couple of options.

A) Full disposable gown that would cover everything is allowed in sterile areas.

B) Oversized Kara which can be moved up above the elbow and kept in place with a cravat/"ACE bandage" to be worn when in the sterile areas.

Mostly, it involves checking with the lead person of the hospital area (if you can find a Sikh working in the facility in that area - especially surgeon - they should be able to advise as well as put in a word to the hospital area as to your wearing a Kara) as to what can be accommodated. Most facilities will try to balance your religious needs with the hygeine needs. I was given the option to gown up in the hospital I used to work in - covered all of my my body and I have worked in a sterile compounding area making IV medications which required scrubbing up. Some may just tell you to scrub the Kara along with your handwashing.

• Like 1

Guest Legaljit Singh

VAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA, VAHEGURU JI KI FATEH

Couple of options.

A) Full disposable gown that would cover everything is allowed in sterile areas.

B) Oversized Kara which can be moved up above the elbow and kept in place with a cravat/"ACE bandage" to be worn when in the sterile areas.

Mostly, it involves checking with the lead person of the hospital area (if you can find a Sikh working in the facility in that area - especially surgeon - they should be able to advise as well as put in a word to the hospital area as to your wearing a Kara) as to what can be accommodated. Most facilities will try to balance your religious needs with the hygeine needs. I was given the option to gown up in the hospital I used to work in - covered all of my my body and I have worked in a sterile compounding area making IV medications which required scrubbing up. Some may just tell you to scrub the Kara along with your handwashing.

Those 2 "options' are no options at all. There is only one option, and that is the option that holds sway among virtually all the NHS. That is, you wear your kara.

There is yet to be a single case where a Sikh has been denied the right to wear his or her kara whilst working in an NHS hospital, and the hospital has successfully pleaded it's case.

It may be possible that an NHS Trust here or there has attempted to enforce such a ban, but once a Sikh asserts his or her rights that ban is quickly overturned. An intitial reason they may give is that of health & safety, but that suggestion is rebutted by the fact that literally hundreds of Trusts up and down the land have no problem whatsoever with the kara. The Law will take the stance that if it's not a problem for them why should it be a problem for one.

Guest Sugar

In the UK as per DoH guidelines you do not need to remove your kara and you officially need to pull it up your arm as far as it will go and wash it after patient contact along with your hands. I have treated patients in A&E, wards and operating theatre wearing my kara without a problem.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Topics

• Your right about the 2 lines i don't agree with skipping the 2 lines from Chaupai Sahib too.  Even though i follow the Sikh Rehat Maryada and respect it i choose to do all of Kabyo Baach Benti. Thats my choice Sikh Rehat Maryada is the minimum required. If you wanna do more Bani thats Great. Chardi kala. Thats your choice.  If you want to avoid halal. Your choice  If you want to avoid meat altogether. Thats fine too  Lets not attach dietary guidelines with sikhism.  Even Guru Nanak Dev Ji Maharaj says in a very long pankti that Fools argue over this. Saag has life too. So does the micro organisms we breath. But we don't cover our mouths like jains. And we are not hindus who avoid eggs. Even though unfertilized eggs are vegetarian. Thats a different topic.  This is Not SGPC maryada This is Akal Takht maryada Watch this link Bhai Jagraj Singh  Lets not divide the panth with different maraydas. Your dietary options will not bring you closer to Waheguru. Jap Naam.   
    • Guru Granth Sahib Ji is the living Guru.  You been debating a Rhadasoami, however that's spelled, or something?
    • people will ask kurdiwale koi hor  munda nahin labba eh lafunga kiton mileya si ? plus if  there are younger sisters in the house it could create wrong impression in people's mind about how much bad behaviour they as a family will put up with from mundevale just to get their daughters married i.e. put them on the back foot. This is the first time this 'son' is visiting his new parents didn't Guru ji say to respect them as much as possible in fact more than one's own since they are giving you their most treasured child? There is formality of manners which is actually showing compassion and consideration to others' feelings, we are not meant to spoil another's chances or life through our words and actions that is antigurmat. the guy/girl who tries show up their inlaws is NOT following sikhiya of Guru ji but doing their own manmat to feed their egoes. What is wrong with him standing and negotiating or do as my kid bro did and say 'hold on Mum Dad; I'm coming , look Guys her folks are calling me '... and just shove the few notes he had in his pocket into their hands ...and go in the front door? would you honestly have been happy if that had happened to your sis , Mum and Dad? If the guy can't show respect to his bride's mother and father in front of their whole family when is he ever going to?
    • Paranoia could be sign of mental illness so do see a therapist, doctor or counselor Keep doing paath as well
    • i think its hilarious    everyone was laughing at it at work she's dressed like a slag   if a woman in my family dressed like that    god help her ....  

Important Information

Terms of Use